View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Aug/Sept Roast Comparison
ginny
Grin
Edited by ginny on 08/28/2010 8:37 PM
seedlings
Aw, John, you're loved! My scale is perfect - I'm not complaining at all, just making note...

***off topic***
Once upon a time I was whining about how much a cup of green coffee weighs. Well, someone (John) got sick of hearing me ask others to weigh volumes of coffee for me (since I didn't have a scale). Then, a few days later, a scale showed up at my door, and shut me up! Thank you, John! Great fellow, that guy. :Clap:
***end off topic***

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
randytsuch
I just sent an email to all participants, with everyone's address.

Please let me know if you did not get the email, or if there is a problem with your information.

Two weeks left until we mail.

An usual (like last time), I have procrastinated, and just did my first couple roasts yesterday. One had a faster ramp, and I think that one smells better right now. I plan to cup them tomorrow, and then experiment some more.

Randy
ginny
Randy,

thanks, got it.

I have done several small roasts. For me a City ++ seems the right place for this
(for me.)

Roasting some this afternoon to a lighter then darker roast so we will see.

Heck my tastes buds could be a total bomb!!

ginnyShock
seedlings
**Reminder**

Ship freshly roasted coffee September 20th or 21st.
Cup coffee on 25th or 26th.

CHAD
allenb
Can someone with first hand knowledge of problems with the last swap (destroyed coffee) go over one more time some of the things to avoid in packaging so the postal service doesn't end up covering their truck floor with our fine Harrar?Shock

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
randytsuch
Some of us tried to save money, and ship the beans in a normal envelope, with a couple of stamps.

They fed the envelopes through automatic mail sorters, and some beans were crushed.

A larger envelope, with a little padding would probably fix this problem, but probably with a higher postage cost.

Randy
John Despres
Yeah, most arrived pre-ground, but not very well. I suggest a grinder, not the US Postal Service. :(

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
allenb
With a little training I'll bet they could get the grind as we like by figuring out how many passes to give it. Four passes for medium, 12 for espresso.

I'm using the padded 4x7 mailers with coffee in a freezer ziplock.

Does anyone think this might be survivable?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
JETROASTER

allenb wrote:

Allen

That should work. I think the padded envelope bypasses the postal grinder system.
Is Monday ship day? -Scott
ginny
Hey guys:

the padded envelope is actually a package for USPS.

you can use a large envelope that is thick in one spot and it does not go through the
machine. put a foam peanut on the envelope, makes it a package but cheap.

shipping marbles has given me a new respect for those trying to save money on shipping.

have a great weekend...

love ya all

ginny

and thanks for the BD wishes.Shock
allenb
I've already bought the padded mailers so I'll probably go ahead and use them if it's not a huge increase over an envelope with peanut.
allenb

freshbeans wrote:

allenb wrote:

Allen

That should work. I think the padded envelope bypasses the postal grinder system.
Is Monday ship day? -Scott

I was planning on shipping Monday or Tuesday.

Allen
Unta
The USPS Machines are changing, the new robots are actually sorting flats also, not everywhere in the country yet, but I was working in two o the major sorting facilities in the northeast that were installing them..... pretty soon we're going to have to start the Carrier pigeon training thread..
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
allenb

Unta wrote:
The USPS Machines are changing, the new robots are actually sorting flats also, not everywhere in the country yet, but I was working in two o the major sorting facilities in the northeast that were installing them..... pretty soon we're going to have to start the Carrier pigeon training thread..
sean

If my USPS has the new robots and is sorting flats does that mean that a bubble padded mailer will get the steam roller?

Allen
seedlings
Dang.... storms blew through Kansas City this weekend and I've been swamped working... I'm waaaay behind! Might be able to roast tonight, ship tomorrow... <fingers crossed>

CHAD
Unta
Im on the same schedule..except roasting now.. cupping later... shipping in the am..
Sean Harrington
educate.
ginny
Ha, you can be late chadskie...

this time it's not me!!

all of mine went out this am. considering the time for shipping I roasted yesterday morning so the rest would be 4 plus days depending on the USPS!!

9/19/2010 at 9am your coffee was carefully fire roasted for your enjoyment.
you each will receive approx 20 grams so you can try it more then once.

I included in the small box a sample of the bags I use for my 1lb and sample coffee and if anyone needs any simply email me.

you guys rock, you are awesome and this will be great fun and learning since I am not a great cupper but i do taste the flavors in my coffee.

thanks,

ginnyShock
randytsuch
I just went to the PO, and shipped all of my beans.

I roasted last night, and everyone got 15 grams of my beans.

I will probably cup a little of the leftover's in a couple days, and see how it came out.

Randy
allenb
I'm late,

Will be shipping in the am tomorrow 20 grams/person.

Allen
Jump to Forum: