Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
A fluid bed blower idea.
Beaner
Ok, I know I'm relatively late to the roaster build party and I'd be shocked if I was the only one to have thought of this.

Has anyone thought about the bathroom air hand dryers? I was in a Goodwill bathroom (parts scrounging) and that particular dryer had a pretty good output.
I don't know what kind of bean mass in a given volume it could push since I don't know anything other than the bits and pieces I get from the HR forums.

I looked up a random website and saw these specs for one costing $91:

?Brushless motor : 80W, 3400 R.P.M.(60Hz)
?Heater assembly: 158 degree F thermostat and 282 degree F thermal cut-off
?Air volume: 291 m3/h (171 CFM)
?Air speed : 16.5m/s

One of them had 275 CFM but it was over $300.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here but just thought I'd throw it out there.
Edited by Beaner on 08/06/2010 4:25 PM

JETROASTER
Beaner, I'm worried about scrounging for parts in the bathroom. I'm not saying I'm above it, I'm just concerned.
Anyway, how about pressure? Any pictures of the motor?
-Scott

Beaner
Lol, no, not scounging in the bathroom. :P

Wierd though that any time I handle stuff in a Goodwill my hands feel grimey afterwards. Don't know if it's sad or funny that I can't even go in a bathroom anymore without seeing something that sparks roaster build thoughts. Shock

I haven't seen a picture of the motors but I assume there is some type of squirrel cage in there. I only posted this cause I was revisiting all the threads here and never saw a mention of the hand dryers.

RoasterRob
Based on the specs you listed the blower is high volume low pressure. It wouldn't be any good for moving coffee beans. You need high pressure low volume.

Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

Beaner
I see. Oh well, I thought it was worth a mention in case there was any merit to the idea.

Back to work on my BM Ronco Cheesy Roaster.

-Ron

Dan
Most hair dryers use a fast moving fan blade. Like RB says, they are low pressure, high volume. But high pressure, low volume doesn't work either. E.g. home air compressor. What you want is medium pressure, medium volume. What you want is either a thin, large diameter, fast moving impeller or a multi-stage impeller style blower. Dan
Edited by Dan on 08/12/2010 3:11 PM

Dan
I saw one of these yellow blowers for a kid's blow-up jumping gym today. The impeller wheel is about 12" in diameter and not very thick. I think this might work for a hot air blower. It is all plastic, so you can't recycle air, but otherwise it should work. If I get my hands on one I'll measure the flow and pressure.

www.bouncersdirect.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/whatiget.jpg
Edited by Dan on 08/20/2010 1:48 PM

seedlings
If this blower can take the pressure of a dozen screaming grade school kids, roasting coffee should be an easy relief.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Dan
Or, if this blower can keep a dozen kids aloft, think how many beans it will loft!

RayO
A Kirby vacuum motor, blowing through heater up a nearly horizontal rotating tube. Adjust incline, length so beans will remain in tube, roasting until they lose enough density to rise in the tube and finally fall out, into a handy cooler apparatus.

As a continuous flow roaster, the green beans could be metered into the cool air stream as fast as they fall out the upper end, roasted.

As a batch roaster, a measured batch could be fed into the metering feeder.

A couple of Chromalox 5 kW finned heaters on 240v with an SCR bridge or Triac on PID control would make you believe you were roasting downtown.
Cheers -RayO

Got Grinder?

seedlings
Who would try that, Ray?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

RoasterRob

Dan wrote:
Or, if this blower can keep a dozen kids aloft, think how many beans it will loft!

I checked one of these out along the way a few years ago, again surprisingly too little pressure. From memory about 4 or 5" H2O.
10" IMO is near the minimum for a FB roaster assuming the flow at that pressure is sufficient.
You can lift 70 ton with a heavy lift air bag using a compressor, the max pressure in the bag is only 116 psi. It's down to surface area, more about volume than pressure.

Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

JETROASTER
Hi Beaner,
Here's a few of my fav's. These will give a nice mix of pressure and cfm,
at a price that can keep you out of restrooms and toy stores;)

First up; Single stage 5.7" .anywhere between 30-40$ This can do 2 lbs easy, or more depending on your design.

JETROASTER
......Trying again
JETROASTER attached the following image:
5_7_single.jpg

JETROASTER
Next up; 2 stage 5.7" More around 80-90$ These can push 5lbs
(or a bit more)
5_7_2stage.jpg

JETROASTER
And the last of my fav's. It's the blower I currently use for above 5lbs.
It's A 2 stage 7.2" These are closer to the 200$ range.

Any of these are all over the web. Before you buy, post , and let's make sure it's the best price. Good Luck!! -Scott
7_2_2stage.jpg

Beaner
Scott, I'm not trying to build a fluid bed roaster, was just curious if anyone had thought of using the hand dryer and if it was doable.

I'm having a hard enough time being a idiot with my current popper build.

:)

- Ron

SteveN
Not to threadjack but where would a kirby vacuum go in that series?

JETROASTER
Steve,
Kirby; A little less pressure, more CFM( so long as there isn't too much resistance.) It would be like having the pressure of the single stage,
and CFM somewhere between the 2 larger motors.
That being said...for those looking to do more of a 'bubble-bed' design, the Kirby may be the better fit.
I chose the 7.2 ametek to create a higher pressure combustion enviroment....probably overkill.
Ron/Beaner , I think many of this lot see roasters everywhere they go.
You had the courage to admit to 'restroom inspiration'

I've been looking at the beautiful chrome /brass fittings on the urinals, wondering if it's available in 2".

...You are not alone. -Scott
Edited by JETROASTER on 08/23/2010 6:26 AM

Dan
The vacuum motors that Scott posted above will work just fine. I've posted pictures of them too, in the past. Many roasters have used them to make decent sized fluid bed roasters. They have enclosed, thin, impellers spinning very fast in 1, 2, or 3 stages. The produce the medium volume, medium pressure we need.

JETROASTER
Ron,
You will eventually win-out over the popper. When you do,we'll move onto the first hand-dryer-roaster.
I'm in!! -Scott

Jump to Forum: