renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Heat Gun...Max Capability?
endlesscycles
I'll keep saying it: energy is energy....it's neither created nor destroyed.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

seedlings

Unta wrote:

seedlings wrote:

I do put a plate on top of the hopper, but it doesnt' seem to further restrict air flow It keeps the air above the beans warmer.

CHAD

no air restriction? isnt that what the plate is doing? Plate on top is restricting air, which is building pressure below and increasing temp of the air above the beans? I'm running on limited shut eye so I might have missed some thing here..
sean

The surface area of the inlet is 20 odd 1/8" holes.... maybe a half-inch square? I cover 3/4 of the 4x4 top.

inlet 1/2 square inch
outlet 3 to 4 square inches

This shouldn't restrict air flow.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Unta

seedlings wrote:

Unta wrote:

seedlings wrote:

I do put a plate on top of the hopper, but it doesnt' seem to further restrict air flow It keeps the air above the beans warmer.

CHAD

no air restriction? isnt that what the plate is doing? Plate on top is restricting air, which is building pressure below and increasing temp of the air above the beans? I'm running on limited shut eye so I might have missed some thing here..
sean

The surface area of the inlet is 20 odd 1/8" holes.... maybe a half-inch square? I cover 3/4 of the 4x4 top.

inlet 1/2 square inch
outlet 3 to 4 square inches

This shouldn't restrict air flow.

CHAD

I was only refering to the air above the bean mass.
Is there something other then pressure building that would be increasing the air temp?
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

JETROASTER

endlesscycles wrote:
I'll keep saying it: energy is energy....it's neither created nor destroyed.

That's exactly how it's playing out. I felt it was worth checking but, in the end, there is energy going into that heat coil....it has to go somewhere.
Boyles law applies, but at pressures this low, it is not the problem.
Bottom line, the airflow I need for minimum fluidization velocity is maxing out my heat source.
I'll tweek a bit more to see if I can fluidize with less.

And before I snip, I'll actually put some coffee thru it. My hope is that the extra 'lift' from the heat will allow me to dial down the airflow a bit more. It's close.
I don't believe that a pile of beans will 'accumulate' heat above what is being delivered . The back-pressure from the beans has a minimal effect on cfm.
So it's down to a couple of test runs with beans. If I get no joy, it's time to snip or find a slightly stronger heat source.
I still have a desire to keep this as 'off the shelf' as possible.

If anyone knows of a better choice than this , please advise, Thanks,Scott

http://www.graing...Pid=search

Unta
Scott,
if you could figure out how little this current set up will successfully roast before moving on it would be great for someone that might be thinking of building something that will roast less then 1lb..
I might just know a guy...:smileycoffee:

Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

JETROASTER
Actually, for the smaller stuff, I've begun work on the "Mini-Max".(MH.5)
A smaller set of cocktail shakers and a gutted heat-gun.

I'll keep you posted. -Scott

endlesscycles
Why not this: http://www.graing...Pid=search?

Why not .5lbs, too? A whole pound just seems excessive.

-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

JETROASTER
I should have clarified. The "Mini-Max" MH.5 is a half lb unit.
(the MH.5 designation)

That element seems to be used on a 22cfm machine.
http://www.graing...sst=subset

Likely perfect for a .5 unit.
The heat unit on the MH-1 was designed for 40cfm. I'm probably just above that.....for now.

You favor the .5 lb unit? Interesting, I'd like your insights!!

Thanks,Scott

Unta
I'm looking for something to function as a sample roaster. typical samples that im receiving are 350 grams. Not to mention as we play with profiles, its far less costly to run smaller batches.

Sean

Sean Harrington
educate.

endlesscycles

freshbeans wrote:
You favor the .5 lb unit? Interesting, I'd like your insights!!

Thanks,Scott

21g / cup of coffee x 2 cups/day x 8 days / week = 336g = 12oz

So, on the home roast end.... who wants to roast just one coffee once per week? And on my end (~ 12,000lbs/year), what am I going to do with a pound?

I think the smallest controllable batch makes the most sense for exploring coffee best... both for the home roaster and professional alike.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

endlesscycles
(every week of mine has an extra day's worth of coffee needed at some point....)
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

JETROASTER
So...it begs the question; Should the HRO version be a (MH.5) half lb. machine?
I still need a 1lb for my own purposes, but I can build a smaller scale for HRO. The basic principles remain the same.

Looking for inputs. Thanks,Scott

Unta
I think its fine to have a 1lb machine.
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

greencardigan

freshbeans wrote:[quote]
And before I snip, I'll actually put some coffee thru it. My hope is that the extra 'lift' from the heat will allow me to dial down the airflow a bit more. It's close.

I thought you had already tried the heat with beans in it?

When I tried mine for the first time with beans and heat I believe I had much more bean movement than the cold tests.

jkoll42
IMHO 1# would be preferable. At .5# you are only at double or slightly less if you are using a globe of a popper roaster. I think it would be less incentive to build a new roaster to only gain .25# capacity. To do 1# a pop would motivate me to put in the effort and in fact did when I put together my corretto setup.

I appreciate the point above about .5#, but for me roasting too often over the course of years turns into a chore. I would rather have a pound last a week, taste the change as the coffee rests and have a new one the next week. If someone uses less, just freeze partial batches.

-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

JETROASTER
I think it's a safe bet that 1# will be the upper limit of this unit. Given the shape of the RC, I don't see why a .5# load wouldn't work.
I'll include that in the testing. Thanks for the inputs.
-Scott

Unta

freshbeans wrote:
I think it's a safe bet that 1# will be the upper limit of this unit. Given the shape of the RC, I don't see why a .5# load wouldn't work.
I'll include that in the testing. Thanks for the inputs.
-Scott

Best of both worlds. Win!
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

bvwelch
Please remind me of the blower for this project? Any chance its air intake (or a portion thereof) could draw cooler air into the unit's base/stand/feet (where presumably one might have some circuit boards installed?)

JETROASTER
Bill,
The blower is a 3" ametek style, single fan, 5 amp flow thru. Here's a photo of a 4" that is otherwise the same.
JETROASTER attached the following image:
2011-03-11_08-40-31_977.jpg

JETROASTER
....And a shot of the 3" blower installed in the lower chamber. Not much room left in there.
2011-02-15_20-31-45_489_edit0.jpg

JETROASTER
Here's a shot of the 'base' I've been using. This is probably the best place to layout a control system. (I've got some foam stuffed in there for sound deadening)
Within that chamber, intake air could be routed to handle cooling however needed. Plenty of space.
The design of the base is still wide open. Any ideas are welcome. The intent is that the main unit parks into the control base for quick plug in . Thanks,Scott
2011-03-11_07-40-02_53.jpg

RoasterRob
What is the perf pattern you are using on this?

Rob
Edited by RoasterRob on 03/11/2011 4:51 PM
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

JETROASTER
This is a picture of the original plate that gets knocked out of the cocktail shaker, and the modified version, set into the inlet. ...Drilled a few extra holes and trimmed the diameter with the dremel. Snug fit, but not actually attached.
Although not pictured, I experimented with obstructing portions of the pattern to see various results.
Stainless mesh also worked nicely, but I wanted a bit more back-pressure.
Hope things have stopped shaking down your way. -Scott
perf.jpg

Edited by JETROASTER on 03/12/2011 8:51 AM

JETROASTER
Unfortunately, surgery could not be avoided. I removed 1 'revolution' of coil to check the results. Last night I removed 2 more...and I think that may be it.
It now looks more like this;

More beans this week-end. Cheers, -Scott
heat_blower_element.jpg

Edited by JETROASTER on 03/18/2011 9:01 AM

allenb

freshbeans wrote:
Unfortunately, surgery could not be avoided. I removed 1 'revolution' of coil to check the results. Last night I removed 2 more...and I think that may be it.
It now looks more like this;

More beans this week-end. Cheers, -Scott

Scott, if you still don't get enough heat with the snip I would go an additional step of unwrapping the coil off the form, stretching slightly just enough to allow re-wrapping onto the form covering the remaining 3 slots. This would give the air a little more contact time before exiting the element.

Not sure if the difference would amount to much but who knows? It wouldn't take a lot to accomplish hopefully.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: