Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,664
Newest Member: vincent33

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Heat Gun...Max Capability?
Unta
http://www.facebo...2211440893 heres a video of the 1.5lb RC. there have been a few modifications but thats the basic design.
sean
Edited by Unta on 01/04/2011 6:54 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb

freshbeans wrote:
Fun video, but I have to say, the flying bean spray is specifically what I'm looking to avoid.
Looks great on film, and there is certainly no threat of bean stall, but that is not where I'm headed.
Thanks for the vid, it worked better than words.
I also saw what looked like an updated version of the air-roaster by Dirty Dave (other videos) I prefer the bean flow in that arrangment.
Two different philosophies. Thankfully, it all tastes good!!
Cheers, Scott

You guys are kicking around an area I've wondered about for a long time. Extreme bean agitation from high air flow versus dense pack.

In one of those coffee roasting research projects (not sure if it was Japanese or Swiss), they did quite a bit of experimentation with convection agitation rates and in the end, the roasts with a lot of real estate between the beans (extreme convection flow rates) came out with low cupping scores versus medium and low agitation. This was done while maintaining a set profile curve. They examined the chemical makeup of the different roasts and found the roasts with extreme convection flow rates to be missing certain volatiles due to "stripping".
Not sure what stripping means (at least the one related to coffee) but it can't be good.

The guy I roasted for a few years back also did quite a bit of experimentation with flow rates (Sivets roaster) and also found the slower convection rates to cup better. After I came on board we never did any serious experimenting besides trying different profiles so I don't have first hand knowledge of any differences.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JETROASTER
So, bubble-beds must avoid the threat of 'stripping' with lower overall roasting temps? ...Or are they considered high density? Interesting.
For me, getting the max out of a heat-gun, meant using the least CFM needed to move the beans.

....More coming soon....almost giddy! -Scott
Edited by JETROASTER on 01/06/2011 2:38 PM

allenb

freshbeans wrote:
So, bubble-beds must avoid the threat of 'stripping' with lower overall roasting temps? ...Or are they considered high density? Interesting.
For me, getting the max out of a heat-gun, meant using the least CFM needed to move the beans.

....More coming soon....almost giddy! -Scott

Not sure. Jobst Zoellner of Nepro was certain that 100% recirculation was the way to go with their bubblebed design and he specifically mentioned it keeping volatiles from going up the stack. Maybe recirculating is a way to keep a super high convection rate system from stripping volatiles? I can't believe that just because a bubblebed allows a tighter bean pack that it would be immune from the purported negatives of high convection flow rates.

I think the only way we'll know is through experimentation. We need a research grant.

Allen
Edited by allenb on 01/06/2011 10:49 PM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JETROASTER
I have found no grants, but I'm pushing on. The last thing on my shopping list....if it exists;
Resettable, variable thermal cut-off.

This is to kill power to the heating element as the beans reach the desired temp.
The element is on its own circuit(120) driven by a router sp control. I'd like to kill power post-router control (i think?)

Obviously, I don't want the heat coming back on during the cooling cycle, (so, manual reset) and I'd like to control the upper limit (varying the degree of roast)

I've spent about an hour poking around the usual places,( Grainger etc.) with no luck.
Am I just dreaming, or will I need to make this from scratch?
As always, thanks. -Scott

seedlings
Router speed control has an "off" setting. Might try that.

;)

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

bvwelch
Hard to comment without more info -- budget? voltages, currents, sensor type? accuracy? COTS or custom-built?

JETROASTER
Budget; It's a nice feature but not a critical thing. I'll keep it around 100$ to start.(grabbed that out of the air)
Volts; 120 18amps.
Sensor type; no sensors of any kind, thermometers only.
Accuracy within 5degrees.(?)
Motor is 3 amps on it's own circuit. Heating element also has its own circuit.
That circuit is; outlet >router control>heating element.
Very simple/basic design.
This thing is being assembled either way, it would be nice, but not essential.
Again, Thanks. -Scott

greencardigan
I essentially do this with my current roast controller. It uses a thermocouple connected to a small microcontroller and SSR. It cuts power to my heater when it reaches my preselected roast level.

JETROASTER
That sounds like a winner. It's my basic understanding that I'll need to create A low voltage source to drive the SSR. ... A transformer for that job. I'm certain a handy SSR was already posted in this thread, then a micro-controller and TC.
I'll poke around thru some HRO posts.
If anyone already has a hit-list here state-side, I'd love to see it! Thanks! Happy Roasting. -Scott

seedlings
If you're willing to buy an RTD measuring device (like a thermocouple, but different) I have a PID controller you can play with, but it only uses an RTD.

You'll need something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.c...912wt_1139

I'm pretty sure it will work for you with an RTD, I just bought a Fuji pid for $15 more that would work with J and K TCs. See this thread about the Honeywell PID I can send you:
http://forum.home...ad_id=1751

CHAD

JETROASTER
That's a wonderful offer. Once I figure out what all this electronic stuff out, I may even take you up on it.
Are J and K more universal? I'm striving for a somewhat
'open' design platform. I'd like to avoid designing myself into a corner.

I think you may have already provided a drawing of your wiring diagram. I'll go through your build thread.
If you can think of a useful schematic for dummies...please advise. Thanks again -Scott

bvwelch
Have you considered using the Arduino and Jim's latest tc4 shield? Sounds like a great match.

JETROASTER
I believe that's probably the smartest way. That would make good use of research already done.
I think I could use that simply as a high temp cut-off at first, then perhaps expand into other uses later?

So now the tough part. Would anyone be willing to build one for me? I bought the board thinking I would get around to learning this stuff..but in real life....
I really like the sound of using that, so if it exceeds that 100.00 $ , that's life.
I'm not looking for a volunteer, cost of goods+time+shipping. If anyone is game ,let me know.
I can PM some specifics about space constraints etc. Thanks,Scott

JETROASTER
Ok, after a few conversations, I'm back to my other idea.
I'll continue building a bare-knuckles roaster. No automation. Manual heat control, manual blower control.
If anyone is interested, I will build a second (less personalized) version.
That unit will be shipped to participating members for testing, and possible modification. A couple folks have already expressed some interest.
Ultimately, if it makes the grade, I feel it should be auctioned for a worthy cause, determined by those participating.

I may be crazy, but the voices said to make it look like this;
JETROASTER attached the following image:
888.jpg

Unta
looks dangerous....im in..ThumbsUp
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb
Sean, I agree.

Isn't that a cookie jar from the galley of a Klingon bird of prey?

Oh, and definitely count me in!
Edited by allenb on 01/13/2011 6:24 PM

bvwelch
Count me in too, please!

JETROASTER
Although reminiscent of popular Klingon design, the design aesthetic is actually 'Post-Modern, Neo Steam-Punk' .
The folks that have already thrown their name in are all a great fit, for the expertise they have in various fields. You're all in.

I still feel a need for someone willing to put this thing through the final paces. Someone very diligent at logging profiles and explaining the resulting cup.
Someone that has the stature to give this thing the official HRO seal of approval.

" You will know this sage by his white hat"

That's what the voices said. -Scott

seedlings
Oh, man! Once that has a coffee oil and smoke matte finish... wowsa!

If whitey is unavailable, maybe one of us could regular folk could help?

CHAD

JETROASTER
I don't believe there is anything normal about youGrin, and please take no insult. You could never be just a second choice. The more testing , the better, especially given your exquisite posting skill. ...You're in regardless. I think it will be a blast, and honestly,... I build better than I post.

Once again, this will be a 'pass it around' sort of thing. I'm looking at the skill sets present to figure out the order of testing.
More coming soon...... -Scott

allenb
Here's a possibility for a drum roaster shell.
allenb attached the following image:
images.jpg

Unta
I think chad has all those qualities...CHAD!CHAD!CHAD!CHAD!CHAD!
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

seedlings
<uncomfortable>

:P
CHAD

JETROASTER
Allen,
That's a great pic!! Bonafide Steam-Punk!!
...Still without a research grant, I poked around a bit and got the impression that the bed density refers to the material, and where it falls into the 'Geldart Groupings'

The type of fluid bed one chooses, is based on what group you're working with. Our beloved bean falls into catagory 'D', which is the highest density group. A sprouting bed is a common approach, as well as a shallow bed (bubble?)

On the testing; It seems you have a background in mechanical systems?
Cheers, -Scott

Jump to Forum: