Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Heat Gun...Max Capability?
allenb

freshbeans wrote:
Allen,
That's a great pic!! Bonafide Steam-Punk!!
...Still without a research grant, I poked around a bit and got the impression that the bed density refers to the material, and where it falls into the 'Geldart Groupings'

The type of fluid bed one chooses, is based on what group you're working with. Our beloved bean falls into catagory 'D', which is the highest density group. A sprouting bed is a common approach, as well as a shallow bed (bubble?)

On the testing; It seems you have a background in mechanical systems?
Cheers, -Scott

Glad you like the SP item. I'd love to build a drum roaster someday that looked like that. Someday down the road.

My background has been in the area of boiler plant systems, heating and cooling HVAC systems and the usual auxiliary gadgets that hook it all together. It has helped me in working with fans/blowers, heating elements and a whole lot with controls.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JETROASTER
To give a better glimpse of what you're getting into...
We have private confirmation from the gentleman in the white hat. The rest of the distinguished list; Sean, Allen, Bill, Chad. Thank You.
So far ,that would also be my chosen order of testing,.(for reasons I'll explain later) concluding with John D.
As testing and mods come to an end, and the unit has met everyones approval, David(dja) has been kind enough to lend his pouring skills to create a brass or bronze HRO insignia to finish it off.
'Coffee Kids' seems to be a cause that HRO has supported in the past. I see no reason not to, but as long as 6 others have graciously offered their time, the decision is not exclusively mine.
Here's a pic of the first one so far. I will make as many mistakes as possible before building the beta.
Looking forward to the collaboration. Once again, Thanks to all of you for stepping into the unknown. -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
mh_1_thermo.jpg

Unta
first things first.....dial guages are not temp measurement of choice..are they easily removed?
sean
Edited by Unta on 01/17/2011 7:11 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb
For authentic Steampunk (or Klingon) you got to have dial gauges and lots of em! In fact I see a few places on the lower vessel without any at all?

But, to satisfy the high tech requirements of some of the beta testers I'll bet you can invisibly sneak in a thermocouple probe somewhere inconspicuous with no wires showing.B)
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JETROASTER
Better....I pre-drilled 3/8 holes in the same locations on the back of the unit for probes...sealed off with Hillman press in caps. If there are other things I should prep for, please advise.
Thanks, -Scott

Unta
I'm using 1/8" SS probes..I feel naked with out them.
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

Unta
Scott,
Is there a viewing window anywhere on the RC? Also have you incorporated a cup holder?
sean
Edited by Unta on 01/18/2011 8:30 AM
Sean Harrington
educate.

JETROASTER
Sorry, I often fail to clarify. The most recent photo is still an incomplete machine.
The sight glass is a fire rated peep-hole. (from a fire-door) It will be installed near the top of the RC. The exhaust port will include a 'T' fitting that includes a glass cap/lens to shine light into the chamber.
Another item not shown yet is the 'power-base'. It will contain speed controllers or triacs or ssr ...whatever people decide. This way there is no need to teardown the heat-gun section to alter the control system. A quasi modular approach.
The heatgun/RC section that you've seen will park into the base...plug the 2 cords
from the main unit into the base and start roasting. The base will also serve to absorb the motor noise from the bottom of the main unit.
Those little ailerons on the lower vessel suspend the main unit on the base.

Sean, 2 of the reasons(there are more) I'd like you to be the first stop. 1) You roast alot...this will give the machine a proper spanking right away. 2) I think your building experience would lend itself to creating a fantastic base for this thing.( If your schedule allows)
I'll keep pluggin' and try to clarify what I'm up to.
The driving force behind the design was that it should be wide open for modification by the end user. Cheers, -Scott

JETROASTER
I'm leaving the cup holder up to you:) Scott

Unta
can you send or post some other pics.. ill see what i can come up with for a base.. with a cup holder..
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

seedlings
Scott, how about an update: What systems are currently not up to Federation specs? I see the general enclosure is spot-on, and you seem to have the burner section under control... what needs further input?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
I'll get some more pics up this evening that I hope will help. Federation specs are close to wrapped on this one, then I start putting together the beta version for the collaborative effort.
I will be sending out a real bare knuckles roaster that will include upper and lower chambers....outfitted with the blower, heating element. It will have two cords coming out of the back of the lower chamber. One for the blower, the other for the heat.
The upper chamber will be ready for beans, equipped with dial gauges.
Both chambers will have numerous access ports for probes, gauges etc. The accessory ports will be capped with easy pop off caps.
The rest of the hot-rodding will be completey up to the participants.
......Scary indeed!! Pics coming. Cheers. -Scott

Unta
I think everyone involved should shoot a self interview when the machine arrives with first impressions, then shoot some action video and finish up with an exit interview. I have access to a resonable video editing studio and would love to put together a compilation when this thing finally gets passed John and back to Scott...The video in no way should attempt to be professional unless thats your gig..The more Video the better..
Any objections?
sean
Edited by Unta on 01/18/2011 1:26 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.

JETROASTER
It sounds like a fun addition. You certainly don't have to worry about pro video from me.
For anyone that doesn't have the gear or the time, I think that's a reality that should not stand in the way of testing.
Sean, As for myself, I'm already asking alot, but if I sent raw video, would you be able to chop it down into something essential? Again, no pressure!!
I think some more photos will have to wait til tomorrow.
I'll take some shots tonight.
Thanks, -Scott

Unta
Thats what I would prefer is raw video. More is better as they say.
I would think we could get a 5-10 minute video out of it.

Also what are the parameters as far as how much time the machine spends in each loaction and what are the goals of this exercise..maybe we need a thread where we can really organize this. Its nice to know what to expect.

Honestly I think this is one of the cooler things that ive been a part of. It will be really neat to have all these perspectives and see everyones process. Great idea Scott!

Sean

PS how big is that thing?
Edited by Unta on 01/18/2011 5:28 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.

JETROASTER
Yes, I will create a new thread exclusively for the collaborative effort....with it's proper name.
For me , the objective is the collaboration, and all the benefits that come along with that sort of approach.
There are benefits for me as a builder to stay focused on things that I'm actually good at, vs getting bogged down trying to learn a whole new language.
.....Me writing code? It will never happen!!
...Better to share skills and obtain a common objective more effectively. Especially in an enviroment that can embrace this notion.
This was part of what the 'Open-Source' thread was attempting to discuss.

All part of my insideous plan to undermine the growing threat of Coffee Fascism.

The voices are making me do it:eye-popping:

-Scott

JETROASTER
Sorry....to answer the question on time duration. Well...if there is no specific event that an auction would tie in with, then I guess we decide as a group.
Each individual may have differant needs based on what's being done.

As an example; I was hoping Allen my take the #2 slot to give this thing a thorough mechanical checkover and critique after Sean gets done spanking it.
.......I have no idea how long that might take, but I wouldn't want to limit anyone.

On the other question of size.:| 30" high. 5.5" dia.

Really looking forward to seeing where you folks might take this! -Scott

JETROASTER
I'm running a bit slow, my apologies. Family illness takes priority.
Just wanted to stick up a shot of how this thing parks into its power control base. This was before thermometers were installed. This may not be the eventual choice for for my own machine. I've been toying with the idea of a turned tiger-eye maple bowl, inverted as a stand.
Sean....whatever you do is up to you.
In mine, I just need enough space for controls and sound deadening.
If you want space for a cup holder, that's your creative right:)
-Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
mh_1_base_no_therm.jpg

allenb

freshbeans wrote:
I'm running a bit slow, my apologies. Family illness takes priority.
Just wanted to stick up a shot of how this thing parks into its power control base. This was before thermometers were installed. This may not be the eventual choice for for my own machine. I've been toying with the idea of a turned tiger-eye maple bowl, inverted as a stand.
Sean....whatever you do is up to you.
In mine, I just need enough space for controls and sound deadening.
If you want space for a cup holder, that's your creative right:)
-Scott

Outrageously stunning machine! I'll have to say I've never seen a roaster with that much pzazz. The wood base would also make it more in line with SP protocol.

Looking forward to seeing it in person down the road.

Unta
when you say wood base, do you mean to replace the metalbestos pipe base that you have in the pic or something to act as a base for the pipe?
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

JETROASTER
As Allen noted, Steam Punk protocol normally includes wood and brass. I chose to deviate a bit for Neo Steam-Punk.
This translates to a refined Steam-Punk...skipping over things that are strictly decorative. The spikes are somewhat decorative, but they are the fastening to hold the housings together.
For the collaborative effort; I will build a completely new main unit
I'm sorry, but the spikes will not be included. The base will not be included.
It will be up to the team to steer the aesthetic, and the control system.
Sean, replace the metalbestos pipe entirely with something of your choosing. I simply wanted to illustrate the parking system.
This will be a true collaborative effort. I'm merely supplying the core chassis.
Thank you all for your interest, it is the highest compliment. Cheers -Scott
Edited by JETROASTER on 01/20/2011 10:09 AM

JETROASTER
I felt I should ask. For the group project....Are people hoping for spikes?
It's OK. The HRO logo could wind up on this thing, so if that is an important part of the look, say so.
Cheers, -Scott

allenb
For testing/developing purposes it would probably be best to have only the bare basic essentials otherwise I may stab myself if quick moves are called for.

After that by all means - spikes, 19th century dial gauges, wood, acorn cap nuts, round head rivets etc...

seedlings
Allen has a point! Including the studs in a production model would invite the lawyers. I myself am more prone to injury by childproof items.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 01/25/2011 8:55 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

allenb

seedlings wrote:
Allen has a point! Including the studs in a production model would invite the lawyers. I myself am more prone to injury by childproof items.

CHAD

A point? Well, my kids use to call me a conehead.:|

Ok Scott, Chad just gave me an idea. If you include rubber childproof caps on the spikes I can work around them without killing myself but now I'm not sure if that will be safe for Chad.Roflmao

Jump to Forum: