Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

10/12/2021 11:55 AM
Evan Slack and CupOfJoe, Welcome !

10/07/2021 3:24 AM
Larry140, Roastiva and fkrauthan, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 21

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,360
Newest Member: maycondelpiero

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Electric Burners
Ringo
Alled Kenco sent me a catalog yesterday, I saw this burner kit in it. Looks sweet for a drum roaster, fan would be too small for an air roaster. Lots of BTU.http://www.allied...ts_id/1907
Ringo attached the following image:
sau49203.jpg

Edited by seedlings on 08/23/2010 11:42 AM
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain
seedlings
Sweet setup, but kind of expensive... awesome website resource too!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
Dan
I think that for much less money you could make your own heater using coiled nichrome wire and you'd know that it would work.
endlesscycles

Dan wrote:
I think that for much less money you could make your own heater using coiled nichrome wire and you'd know that it would work.

Any good direction to learn more about that route? I'm feeling constrained by what is commercially available.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
Dan
Go to Infrared Heaters at http://www.infrar...aters.com/. From there click on "Metal", then "10' NiCr coil heaters". Browse the website for useful design information like the tables. Also check out the Accessories page for heat resistant wire, terminals, insulation, and ceramic items.

For my 110VAC heater I used 6.75" piece of 19ga NiCr coiled wire. Then, I stretched it until the space between the wire was three times its thickness (or more); this is important. This bare wire will last about 2 years in my usage. Pretty cheap and easy to replace. The ceramic terminal block is useful to connect the heater to wiring.
Ringo
Dan
I see why my post seemed expensive, thats a great link. The little insulators are hard to find, that place is tinkers heaven. That will go into my bookmarks, may build an electric roaster some day.

Ringo
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain
Dan
Yeh, I think that my replacement heaters are about $2 each! I like the 1/4" ceramic paper insulation, too. It's really more like felt than paper.
seedlings
Can that ceramic insulation come in direct contact with nichrome at operating temperature?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
Dan
Probably, but I'd leave an air space. The heaters will last longer if there isn't any cold or hot spots.
Jump to Forum: