Print Thread
Yama Vac Bites the Dust
Jimbo
I'm sad ...

I broke my Yama vac pot this morning. Whimper.

Time to go shopping. Woo hoo!! A new vac pot (fortunately I have my pour over to keep me going) and I've really been toying with the whole cold press thing, so I think now is the time. My son ordered a cold pressed ice coffee at a shop in Lincoln when we were visiting him (Cultiva - wonderful shop) and the coffee was amazing! I don't know what the bean was, but the coffee was sublime, naturally sweet and full-flavored.

seedlings
NoooOOOOOO!

I watched my Melitta glass pourover pot tumble out the back hatch of the Durango on a camping trip...

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Ringo
Yama's are really cheap on amazon, with free shipping.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

seedlings
Is a Yama good at maintaining the vacuum seal while the brew is headed south? My Cory (DCU DCL) wasn't designed with a rubber gasket, just glass-on-glass and it's very finicky. Half the time it works flawlessly, other half it stalls and gets dumped into a paper filter so I don't waste the brew.

CHAD

Ringo
The yama seal works great but I still can get a stall. After much frustration I realized that my roasted coffee had a lot of chaff, this chaff was causing most of my stalls. So its better now but still get a stall from time to time.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

Jimbo
As Ringo says, the seal works great. Personally I have never had a problem ... until today that is.

I use a cory rod as opposed to the filters too. I never cease to be amazed at the cup from the vac. It does such a great job. The pour over is a close second as far as flavor goes, but has more sediment.

dja
if I could just learn to ues the Pyrex Vac Pot I won on Evil Bay, I would be happy, dang thing acts differantly every morning.ThumbsUp

The Wonders of Brewing Coffee!
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

JETROASTER
Does the Pyrex have a gasket? -Scott

John Despres
I'm very happy with my glass on glass Cory filter. Stunning cup!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings
Mine has the glass rod, just no gasket between the upper and lower:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Cory1.jpg

CHAD

dja
It has a rubber gasket, and to my good luck it is still pretty soft, I did have to scrub a few decades of coffee junk off of it.
I haven't had the pot long enough ot say if it stalls or not since I hardly know what I am doing with it. I did receive in the mail another cory rod that I won off of ebay, (was told each rod is differant and each rod filters differantly plus with my clumbseyness I figured having two might be one of my better ideas.

Nice looking pot Chad.
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

headchange4u
Northwest Glass sells replacement parts for Yama vac pots. They are the same seller on Amazon. I've bought a few replacement parts from them over the years. Great service and reasonable prices.

http://www.northwestglass.com/
Edited by headchange4u on 09/01/2010 8:06 AM

Jump to Forum: