renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Coffee Technology -(Sivetz)
JETROASTER
Has anyone had a look at this one? I've been curious for years.
Last printing ...1975 -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
coffee_tech_1.jpg

John Despres
Nope. I have a friend who buys used books an has inside scoops. Want me to check for you?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

JETROASTER

John Despres wrote:
Nope. I have a friend who buys used books an has inside scoops. Want me to check for you?

John

Absolutely! I have seen them once in a while on EvilB....surpisingly pricey.
If your guy strikes out, I'll just have to bite the bullet. Thanks,Scott

seedlings
How many pages? Sivetz has tons of info on his website, plus you can watch him live, in person...

http://www.scaa.o...ge=library

Aw. crud. Nevermind. SCAA had their library available to non-members for a while, and I watched a couple of Sivetz videos... alas, it's not free anymore. Sorry.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

allenb
I've read portions of it over the years and there is some good info in it. As Chad said, you can find quite a bit of it scattered through the net. It might be worth getting it if you can find it for a decent price and would be better having it all in one place.

I'd be interested to hear your take on the book since I really can't remember what the core, roasting specific stuff was like.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

scarter11
If you can settle for borrowing it for a few weeks, your local library should be able to get it through inter-library loan.

There are 171 libraries worldwide that have a copy, including FSU here in Tallahassee. Sweet!

JETROASTER
Why don't I ever think of the simple stuff??
......searching my local library system. Thanks,-Scott

oldgearhead
The HathiTrust digital has the Google-digitized PDF of:
"Coffee Processing Technology" by Sivets 1963,
available for viewing.
http://babel.hath...up;num=210
No oil on my beans...

oldgearhead
A nice copy of the 1979 'Coffee Technology' went for $72 + $4 on eBait last night..
No oil on my beans...

oldgearhead
-The 1979 book "Coffee Technology" is an update to the 1963 work "Coffee Processing Technology", and it basically covers the same material with an expanded coffee preparation section. He does not state 'Rule of 15" but he does say the same thing.

Sivetz doesn't exactly compare his roaster to the 1954 Aerotherm (first fluid-bed roaster in production). But he does state the Aerotherm was out-of-production by 1970. Then he goes on to proclaim the advantages of fluid-bed roasting. Among the advantages he states is his roasters are non-heat reclaiming. I agree up to a point. However, I've determined heat reclaiming imparts no off flavor when stopped at first crack. If continued till second crack a not unpleasant slight, smoky, flavor can be detected...
]
oldgearhead attached the following image:
fluidbed_sivetz.jpg

No oil on my beans...

oldgearhead
As far as coffee roasting is concerned, I would not purchase the 1979 version titled "Coffee Technology" unless it was either at a reasonable price or for a collection. The 1963 "Coffee Processing Technology" is available free in Google digitized format from University of Michigan download.

In the 1979 rework of the 1963 book, Sivetz expands the 'Coffee Roasting' section by only two pages from 35 pages to 37 pages. One extra page is added to update the continuous roaster section and one page is added to claim advantages for his 'Fluid bed *non-gas recycling roaster'. Most of these claims are included in my previous posted attachment to this thread. The other claim is less tar on the bean. . .
]
*Note - The Aerotherm did use some re-claimed heat.
No oil on my beans...

Jump to Forum: