Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,222
Newest Member: Coultkr

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
I think my Barratza Maestro just died:(
smatty1
I had a refurb that I got probably a year or more ago. Recommendations on a new one? One that wont break the bank!?
John Despres

smatty1 wrote:
I had a refurb that I got probably a year or more ago. Recommendations on a new one? One that wont break the bank!?

Um, how big is the bank? Mazzer Mini.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
seedlings
Used is my recommendation.

Get familiar with excellent grinders (Mazzer, Anfim, MaCap...), and know how to recognize them by pictures. Then, play the waiting game. Go to eBay, Craigslist, local paper, call restaurant supply businesses, ask around, maybe call coffee service companies... Learn your prey, then begin the hunt! You WILL find a fantastic grinder for under $200. Especially if you're willing to go big (Mazzer Major or Luigi).

Research:
http://coffeegeek...ort=rating

Happy Hunting!
CHAD

Edit: This isn't a bad price at $249, free shipping: http://cgi.ebay.c...3f01215b3a
Edited by seedlings on 10/19/2010 9:08 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
John Despres
Good advice, CHAD. After that you should buy new burrs and that will be pretty cheap...

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
seedlings
http://atlanta.cr...61101.html

Mazzer Super Jolly in your neighborhood $365 (offer less).

Burrs will be about $70 shipped. It's not too likely that you'll need them as these monsters are designed for untold hundreds of pounds of coffee.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 10/19/2010 9:19 PM
seedlings
Oh, one more thing Mazzer rebrands under names of Rio and Astoria.

CHAD

Edit: This might be worth looking at: http://www.overst...oduct.html, BUT you'll never miss the extra money spent on a premier grinder.
Edited by seedlings on 10/19/2010 9:24 PM
smatty1

John Despres wrote:

smatty1 wrote:

Um, how big is the bank? Mazzer Mini.

John

I paid about $70 for the refurb. I was hoping for something comparable, $100-$150ish? Is there really that much difference between that price range and a $365 grinder? Keep in mind that I'm a french press guy and rarely pull espresso shots....
ahedges
I'll second Chad on the Craigslist. I've been all over different cities on craigslist looking for Espresso machines and there are grinders and machines both commercial and consumer out the wazoo. Good luck!
Unta
go to new jersey place is littered with coffee equipment...:) craigslist that is..
Edited by Unta on 10/20/2010 9:29 AM
Sean Harrington
educate.
seedlings

smatty1 wrote:
I paid about $70 for the refurb. I was hoping for something comparable, $100-$150ish? Is there really that much difference between that price range and a $365 grinder? Keep in mind that I'm a french press guy and rarely pull espresso shots....

I completely understand your thinking. I remember when I was looking to upgrade from my $40 cuisinart 'burr' grinder, and I kept reading about grinders up to $800 or more Shock and I was mystified, nay, horrified!

IF, if, if, IFFFF, you're only going to make french press (and you're not trying to psych yourself out, pre-talking yourself out of what you know you need -been there too), then keep looking for another refurb Bartaza, OR... what's wrong with it? Maybe it can be repaired or cleaned? OR, you can buy that $160 Kitchenaid I linked to above.

But...

If you're interested in more espresso, or maybe you've stayed away from it because of your grinder, then you really need to save up to buy a very nice model. What's the difference? A Ford Focus 'can' pull a trailer, and a 1973 Chrysler Newport 'can' get you to a dinner date with your wife... but there are other models that do it BETTER!

I hope you understand I'm having a little bit of fun by how I say it, but I am being honest with you.

CHAD

carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2696/4301/31739650001_medium.jpg
Edited by seedlings on 10/20/2010 4:03 PM
DavidG
CHAD's advice is spot-on. I picked up a Rancilio MD-50 for $200 from a cafe in Cleveland -- they also sold me a 1995 la Pavoni PUB-1 semi-auto espresso machine for $200. Killer deal, yes, but I was in the hunt for 1+ year.

google search tip:
paste this into google: "site:craigslist.org +grinder coffee espresso expresso"

This will search all of craiglist nationwide for grinders (note the inclusion of the most common mispelling of espresso). This will help you to "learn your prey" and you may just find the one you want.

Good luck! Be sure to check back in and boast of your exploits. (I did.)

DavidG
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)
Unta

DavidG wrote:

Good luck! Be sure to check back in and boast of your exploits. (I did.)

DavidG
ThumbsUp
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
DavidG
For example, here is one that sold for $50. A little road weary, yes, but 50 BUCKS!

http://www.fasttr...ack1002/23

And, this one needs a hopper... but sold for $10 bucks:
http://www.fasttr...ck1467/126

DavidG
smatty1
Thanks for the feedback! I gave it a lookin at last nite and nothing appears to be broken. It worked fine this morning. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Rest assured, I'll keep ya'll posted:)
DavidG
And check THIS out... Mazzer Luigi currently going for 130 USD. Wow. http://www.atyour...ourbid5/25

DG
Edited by seedlings on 11/01/2010 9:35 AM
DavidG
For the good of the order...

If anyone is looking for a used commercial espresso grinder for a STEAL (potentially), check out this auction... http://www.fasttr...tegory/ALL if linking trouble, look for the "Akron OH Quality Restaurant Equipment" listing.

currently listing Mahlkonig (one each, Arabica and Guatemala) and la Pavoni... oh, and 2 la Pavoni espresso machines.

Cheers!
David

p.s. heartbreak: I was on the road last week and a LaMarzocco Linea 2 group went for $330 US. Ouch.
Jump to Forum: