Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Quest M3
boar_d_laze

gene wrote:
The ease of adding probes would seem to be a huge advantage of the Q3.

Yes. Take a look at Eric S's pdf and it will give you some idea of the easiest and most common possibilities. Eric will sell you the TCs and fittings; but if you look at his price list (p. 7) you'll see that he also includes the model numbers for the Omega TCs.

Everything else being equal seems like the 220 would have more advantages...

Why? The 110V has more than enough power to roast way too fast.

Is the chaff collection a tiny prob?

Like the HT, it's a drum roaster without a cyclone. Chaff isn't so much a problem as a chore. It's something which must be addressed after every roast.

Roaster: Vacuum everything you can reach after every roast.
Beans: Toss them in a colander after cooling; or forgo the Quest's cooling setup, and use a separate cooling box with a coarse screen.

On the sunny side of the street it's not as likely to burst into flames as a Behmor.

BDL

Caveat: I'm not a Quest maven by any means.
Edited by JackH on 12/05/2013 3:36 AM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

John Despres
Hey, BDL, mentioned Eric S and his PDF and price list in your last post. I'm not sure what the reference is to so could you please post a link to it? I'm all about free enterprise on this kind of stuff and simply buying it. If it's all readily available, I'm readily buying.

I can't seem to find the link in this thread, so if you could re-post it, that would be great!

Thanks!ThumbsUp
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

boar_d_laze
Mouse your cursor over the words "Eric S's pdf" in my previous post and the hot link will appear.

Or... CLICK HERE.

BDL
Edited by JackH on 12/05/2013 3:36 AM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

John Despres
Aha!... The contrast is very poor to see the link. I like underlining mine to help show it.

Thanks! I'll study that and go from there.

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
That's a great document! Thanks for sharing it, BDL.

J
Respect the bean.
John Despres

ginny
sweet, I can even do that...

hahaha

Roflmao

SmokNmirz
Gene:
Chaff collection is not a chore, but it is something with which one must contend.

Using the Quest right out of the box the caff collection works fairly well for single roasts. If you want to do back to back roasts then the chaff collection is a bit cumbersome IMHO. That is the reason I have been mulling around the idea of the rotating arm cooling bin and a separate chaff collection point.

The OEM chaff collection would still need attention between roasts but a quick action with a vacuum and the OEM bin is clean enough to keep on roasting. Cooling and ADDITIONAL chaff collection would happen in a separate bin.

Voodoodaddy on HB has a pretty nice Quest setup utilizing the OEM cooling bin but I am not sure he is concerned about the secondary chaff as much as just a separate cooling bin.

Since I like the lighter roasts I have a bit more secondary chaff. Maybe I am doing something wrong in the roast process to generate this post roast chaff but in any case I have to deal with it.

I have not given up on my rotating arm concept, which helps knock off that secondary chaff, but have been pretty busy with other projects. PLUS I just had some pretty extensive shoulder surgery which means I will be one armed for a month in a sling and 4 months of therapy (maybe lathe time?). During rehab I hope to get back on the Quest project.

The 120V Quest works fine with the Probes from EricS. You can monitor what you are doing internally with the machine as well as see and smell whats going on with the roast. The Quest/home roasting has really added a welcome dimension to my daily coffee!

Cheers!

Stephen
L-1p, HG-1-motorized, Monolith Flat, (ordered) mini500Plus.

If whatever you do does not put a smile on your face then rethink what you are doing.

Bob at the Beach
I have now completed my 75th batch of beans in the Quest M3. The only modification i have made since thermocouples at beginning is to fabricate a metal chute attachment for my microwave's exhaust that directs the vacuum right towards the Quest's exhaust holes. Can't be too close or it actually will now pull air through the roaster. At the end of 75 roasts I pretty much stripped the machine down to it's parts for cleaning. The only things that really needed cleaning were the fan blades.

My roasts are now 125 gram batches done in 6 batch succession for 900 gram total. I roast to city through city+ with an occasional full city. I find that I can do a very nice job with large bean Kenyans and other origins and not so good with very small beans like Ethiopians. With large beans I get a very uniform roast level and with smaller I get a lot of variation.

The biggest impact on my coffee enjoyment has been switching over to a Chemex drip system exclusively.
Quest M3 Roaster, Technivorm KB741, Clever Dripper, Baratza Virusoso, Nespresso Machine, Chemex 30 oz

noelh
Wondering if anyone else has insulated their Quest M3 drum?

Roasting bench is located in the basement. Ambient air temperature are 13-17*C in the winter, 17-23*C during the summer. So decided to insulate the M3. The 2000*F rated material used to insulate the espresso machine boilers fit nicely around the drum.

Might have been a waste of time. Should have but didn't measure drum surface temp before and after insulating. Have misplaced the infrared thermometer😥. Could have, but didn't consider until now to measure the time required to reach a specific ET relative to a set MET pre and post insulation.
Operatore>Macina>Acqua>Miscela>Macchina

ThomasM
After a year of roasting with the Gene, I recently moved to the quest. The freedom to have fully control over the process is great. First successful roast have already been done.
Currently I'm still about to find the right positions for the temperature sensors in order to work with artisan.
Currently I'm dealing with the lower M8 position and the known M4 for MET.
Initially I thought, everythings fine, but comparing the MET temperature to what I found in a german coffee forum, its too low. My maximum MET is always about 250? and it oughta about 300?.
What's the right max temperature for this position? If 300? is the right one, I should exchange my sensor ...

Thanks for your answers ...
Thomas

SmokNmirz
Well, after roasting for a year on the Quest 120V model I can say I like the roaster roasting ability.

The cooling tray, as designed, is better not used and a separate cooling bin, as suggested by other members, seems the way to go. I gave up on the rotating arm idea as it would have required to large a motor to make it feasible for me and the little Quest.

Put a longer handle on your Tryer....

I have had the fan out to thoroughly clean it and yes, it is true that the 2 little screws holding the center plate inside the cooling/fan box area are a PITA to get back into place! After getting one screw out and trying to put it back in (without removing the second screw as a test) I will NEVER take those screws out again. I put the one screw back in backwards, as suggested somewhere, and that worked. I instead found out that the fan can be removed without taking all that apart if you are patient. As I recall a small torch or soldering gun was used to heat the fans collar that captures the fan motor shaft. Once the warm fan/shaft loosens the coffee bean resins the fan will pull free.

An obvious solution to all that nonsense is to put a remote variable speed fan and chaff collector and bypass/remove the Quest fan and little chaff screen.

One of these with a variable speed vacuum hooked to it should keep air flow around the beans and collect chaff very effectively. http://www.oneida...6240A24A4} Just add the variable speed vacuum that can be set to a slow/low vacuum setting and it should work.

Any thoughts on this idea?

I currently am exhausting the Quest this way. Acrylic window screen replacement. Just open the transom style window and roast.
SmokNmirz attached the following images:
quest-venting2.jpg quest-venting.jpg

If whatever you do does not put a smile on your face then rethink what you are doing.

ThomasM
Still new her, but already again a question.

Currently I'm using my quest with Artisan and a Voltcraft K202 data logger. In principle its working pretty fine and my roasting results a really satisfying for me.
But, even if I'm already on the planet for some decades, I'm somehow still a young boy, always keen on playing with technology and other gadgets.

In the moment I'm documenting every control, that I do manually on the quest, manually in Artisan, using manual events (configured as knobs...).
What I would like, ist that Artisan is able to control the roaster. In a first step, it would be enough that whenever I control something in Artisan, this activity will lead to a control (Power, Blower) of the Quest. A second step could be that I do more automated roasting with Artisan.

Is this idea stupid?

I noticed, that there is a project called TC4. Would this be the adequate hardware for my idea? Are there any know projects, where someone did the Quest mod with TC4?

Thanks in advance...

Thomas

SmokNmirz
I would check out this Threat on HB. http://www.home-b...dy#p259253

Not sure if it covers all of what you desire but I am headed in this direction.

Check out the Posts by Will, AKA Voodoodaddy. He does fantastic work.

ThomasM

SmokNmirz wrote:

I would check out this Threat on HB. http://www.home-b...dy#p259253

Not sure if it covers all of what you desire but I am headed in this direction.

Check out the Posts by Will, AKA Voodoodaddy. He does fantastic work.

Thanks for the hint ...

noelh
Reading a thread at HB.com, the blackening of the drum may be less than ideal for those of us who roast smaller loads (<150gm). Someone noted less even development of the bean.

Measured the thickness of the "newer design" drum. ~1.5mm. Not much thermal mass. Right now charge ET is ~200*C, BT probe reading drops to ~125*C, MET is ~260*C. BT ROR slowly decreases. Roasts have been acceptable to good based on the cup quality.

So for now holding off on the blackening the drum. Would like to get a 2nd drum to blacken just for comparison.
Operatore>Macina>Acqua>Miscela>Macchina

Bob at the Beach
I have just completed my 270th batch on my Quest M3. I now normally do around 8 successive batches of 200 grams to 225 grams each for a total of 1600 -1800 grams each time. I believe my total through the machine to date is in the 130-150 pound of green beans area. I allocate about 2 hours+ to roasting each time (not including warmup and cleanup). I am currently concentrating on Ethiopian beans and I am very pleased with the results. In addition to thermocouples, my modifications include two 1/8" layer wraps of insulating material on the drum housing with that covered by a thin stainless steel wrap so that the roaster still looks as nice as it did originally, and an aluminum chute that directs the Quest's exhaust into an overhead exhaust fan above our kitchen stove. I had originally blackened my drum with flax seed oil which after an initial brown finish did turn black after a few roasts. However, after some time it began to wear off. If I do blacken again I will try the high temp black paint route.
Quest M3 Roaster, Technivorm KB741, Clever Dripper, Baratza Virusoso, Nespresso Machine, Chemex 30 oz

allenb

Bob stated: "my modifications include two 1/8" layer wraps of insulating material on the drum housing with that covered by a thin stainless steel wrap so that the roaster still looks as nice as it did originally, and an aluminum chute that directs the Quest's exhaust into an overhead exhaust fan above our kitchen stove"

Any chance of posting photos of your wrap and aluminum chute? We like photos! woohoo

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

ginny
Bob:

I will echo Allen, would love to see pictures of this as a possible for my Quest 3.

ginny

cool

Bob at the Beach
I have some photos of the Quest mods. I will send them when my "add photos to a site expert" gets home. Even with your great instructions, I can not do it. This will be my first time adding photos to a site.

ginny
Bob:

not to worry I will be happy to add them for you just remember that when you add a photo it does NOT show up in preview mode.

ginny

Bob at the Beach
I have attached some photos of my Quest M3 mods - Double wrap of high temp thin insulation around drum and a thin stainless skin overcoat so unit looks like it did before insulation and a vent attachment to funnel smoke into the stove's overhead vent system.
Bob at the Beach attached the following images:
under_stove_exhaust.jpg new_stainless_wrap.jpg insulation_2x_wrap_under_new_stainless.jpg vent_attached.jpg vent_on_machine.jpg insulation_under_stainless.jpg

Jump to Forum: