You must login to post a message.

10/21/2021 2:41 AM
muckymuck, mckinleyharris and williamjonex welcome cup

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 19

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,368
Newest Member: williamjonex

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Quest M3
ginny
Hi there,

any members own or thinking about a purchase of one of these beauties?

ginny

thanks in advance for any and all comments.
John Despres
No. I spent my extra money on a different gem this week.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
rlb2444
The M3 is a very nice looking roaster. I had my name in for one at Sweet Maria's but I ran out of time waiting on it. I bought a Hottop instead and it's been a great first roaster. The M3 is $500 more and the maximum you can roast is around 8 oz. So, I think I made a good choice. I am going to hang on to my Hottop until a one pound capacity home roaster under $1500 hits the market. I have have this bugger a long time.
Faema Legend, Versalab, Robur-E, Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh, Hottop
Koffee Kosmo
Its a nice machine
However its not for me as the roast capacity is minuscule

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
John Despres
Actually, prior to making another purchase, I had decided against buying an M3. Like KK, I think the batch is small and I still have my 1K/2K on the bench to finish.

That's 1 kilo/2000 watts.

There are a bunch of folk scooping them up on the Sweet Maria's listserve board.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
ginny
Thanks for your input guys!

as I sit around needing another roaster because my trusty Hot Top is not matching my volume I was thinking of the Q M3 as a great way to have a learning tool for a not to horrid high price. The 1/2 pound small roasts can/will be sold or given away so no waste there...

A small batch commercial roaster ( 1/2/3 kilo for 5/6K) is out of my price range right now.

I do have an RK drum I use but most of the customers I have here want small, 1/2 to 1 pound bags of different coffee. I buy small 5lb bags of what I like and think others will, so far I am right on target.

If batch size is not an issue and the coffee is simply custom roasted per order might it be a good purchase?

again thanks guys,

need your input.

ginnyGrin
Edited by ginny on 11/05/2010 4:24 PM
JETROASTER
How about going custom? Maybe an open-source project?
I'm partial to fluid-bed, but up for anything.
My.02$ -Scott
stoneguard

ginny wrote:

A small batch commercial roaster ( 1/2/3 kilo for 5/6K) is out of my price range right now.

You know, I can't decide whether I understand the rest of the post, or only this sentence. It's one or the other, I am sure. I feel a little like River in Firefly at the moment...
Edited by ginny on 11/05/2010 4:25 PM
ginny
Phil:

think I fixed it. this one finger typing with a cast is not good.

g
Koffee Kosmo

ginny wrote:

You know, I can't decide whether I understand the rest of the post, or only this sentence. It's one or the other, I am sure. I feel a little like River in Firefly at the

I can read it ok

1 kg to 3 kg for a cost of $5.000 to $6.000 dollars

Ginny
Build a KKTO or a Farmroast type roaster

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
stoneguard
Well... I can read it NOW. She edited it. It was much more fun the other way Grin. And now my post does not make any sense. Sorry for the cast, hope you heal quickly!
JETROASTER
Seems like this thing has little or no safety features. Is it UL listed? -Scott
ginny
I don't think so but none of the things we build do so??

g
JETROASTER
It's just unusual. It's a cute thing, but certainly not scary. Just saw one with a heat-gun mod. Apparently roasted very nicely.

Is this the right size roaster for you? Be Well- Scott
ginny
Hi Scott:

From what I have heard the QM3 is an excellent machine. Totally manual!
Going through the forums, reading Tom's thoughts and watching his video I like the of the:
"sample trier so you can view coffee from the drum while roasting, a glass view window to see roast progress, manual temperature control (a dial adjusted gauge shows you the amperage sent to the heat elements), air speed control (fan speed controls volume of air pulled through the drum. A timer essentially functions as an on/off switch and allows you to cool the roaster down when you are finished with your batches, as well as acting as a safety shut off if the roaster is left unattended. It has a ingeniously simple way to cool the coffee; you dump the batch into the tray like a little shop roaster, open the rear door to the chaff collection chamber, and set the tray there so cool air can be pulled through it. Outside-the-drum cooling in 3 minutes or so ... another great advantage over most home roasters." Tom on Shrub

I have used all of the home roasters and settled on the Hot Top (am on my 3rd, upgraded all) and my RK drum. I need something for a pound or to or three and a small commercial shop roaster is not in my budget now.

I could roast 1 1/2 pounds between the Hot Top and QM3 right on top of my stove in my kitchen since I have an exhaust fan above my commercial gas stove that would suck up a 75 pound dog!!

Also I see a benefit of being able to really learn even more about roasting with a manual machine.

thoughts?

ginny
Since I am more or less custom roasting
John Despres

ginny wrote:
Hi Scott:

From what I have heard the QM3 is an excellent machine. Totally manual!
Going through the forums, reading Tom's thoughts and watching his video I like the of the:
"sample trier so you can view coffee from the drum while roasting, a glass view window to see roast progress, manual temperature control (a dial adjusted gauge shows you the amperage sent to the heat elements), air speed control (fan speed controls volume of air pulled through the drum. A timer essentially functions as an on/off switch and allows you to cool the roaster down when you are finished with your batches, as well as acting as a safety shut off if the roaster is left unattended. It has a ingeniously simple way to cool the coffee; you dump the batch into the tray like a little shop roaster, open the rear door to the chaff collection chamber, and set the tray there so cool air can be pulled through it. Outside-the-drum cooling in 3 minutes or so ... another great advantage over most home roasters." Tom on Shrub

I have used all of the home roasters and settled on the Hot Top (am on my 3rd, upgraded all) and my RK drum. I need something for a pound or to or three and a small commercial shop roaster is not in my budget now.

I could roast 1 1/2 pounds between the Hot Top and QM3 right on top of my stove in my kitchen since I have an exhaust fan above my commercial gas stove that would suck up a 75 pound dog!!

Also I see a benefit of being able to really learn even more about roasting with a manual machine.

thoughts?

ginny
Since I am more or less custom roasting

Ginny, I concur with everything you have said here. The Quest is definitely a sexy machine I'd love to own. The price is the most prohibitive part bolstering my resistance. The second influence is the lesser batch size than my Gene Cafe.

Do I want one? Why, yes I do! It it most likely a great tool for learning? I believe it is. I just don't have the cash monies to throw at it.

Our new Michigan government is most likely to pull a huge chunk of insurance benefits from public school teachers as well as pension benefits. We're tightening the belts in this public school teacher household, so things will be a bit tighter around here. There's no extra cash for a while. Now, if I'm wrong and we've saved money against a possibility that does not occur, then maybe I'll get one, but, no, things are gonna get worse in Michigan. Truly, the cost is the only thing that's keeping me from buying one.

If it were about half the cost, I'd probably already have one.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
JETROASTER
Hi Ginny,
I'd love to see the dealer cost come down on this thing! I'm obviously partial to air-roasting, but if I had the scratch, I'd buy one to study drum roasting. The all manual (nekkid) roasting is what I do anyway. Besides, that thing would look very nice in my kitchen.
That need to roast 2-5 lbs is what drove me to build. My 2 cents is; For less money, you could assemble 2 or 3 KK roasters, and get down to business.
That's just me being practical.
Me being radical says... let's do a group build! Count me in for the powerplant and heat. Someone else can add thermal monitoring, then profiling.
But, that's just me being strange.
Good Luck with your decision. Be Well - Scott
ginny
Scott:

I think your idea of a "group build" is very cool. Let's get something started.

Let me get a forum setup and I will need input from all interested in thread heading so we will be able to have some control and solid movement through the process.

I will setup a thread for the beginning process so we can have one place to hash out ideas.

One thing that really strikes me as wonderful about this project is that those who have wanted to build their own cannot do the whole thing and this would be a perfect place for everyone's input.

thanks,

ginny

I received a note from my sister late Monday and she made the CA shipping cut off at The Shrub so sometime today my "Litlte Shiny Quest M3" will be on my doorstep.

Shock
JETROASTER
How exciting!! I look forward to your review!
I think the group build would be a blast. I'm in for the "HRO edition" custom roaster!! -Scott
John Despres
The cost has not come down, but I can afford one now.

So I pulled the trigger and ordered my Quest M3 just moments ago.

Let the learning curve begin.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Jump to Forum: