You must login to post a message.

10/21/2021 2:41 AM
muckymuck, mckinleyharris and williamjonex welcome cup

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 20

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,368
Newest Member: williamjonex

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Quest M3
Apricotbeans
The moment I turn the timer dial, to start it up, I hear the fan start up.

And I have not heard it without fan before, not sure if its normal.

Also, whether at minimum or maximum, when adjusting the knob, the fan's sound doesnt change.
John Despres

Apricotbeans wrote:

The moment I turn the timer dial, to start it up, I hear the fan start up.

And I have not heard it without fan before, not sure if its normal.

Also, whether at minimum or maximum, when adjusting the knob, the fan's sound doesnt change.

I don't think that's right... Something seems to be wrong.

I can certainly hear my fan speed change as I turn the knob. Hmmmmm...

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
Apricotbeans
Thanks John, I wrote in to the manufacturer for advice. Once I get it, I will be back here to update!

Btw ginny, whenever is convenient for you, could you post for me the pictures you mentioned?
Thank you:}
JackH
Any possibility that the air flow knob setscrew is loose and the knob is just turning loose on the shaft of the potentiometer? I think it is just a small screw that secures it.

Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
ginny
AB:

I will post the pictures in the morning for you.

I agree with Jack, maybe the set screw.

let us knpw.

ginny
Apricotbeans
I will give that a try and let you all know how that goes. Thanks for your replies:} and thank you Ginny, I appreciate it.
Apricotbeans
Hi all,

An update to my familiarization with my Quest. I tried removing the fan knob and tweaking it however I wasnt able to go any further then removing the knob. As the 'naked' knob is fixed at its minimum and maximum fan settings. (Hopefully my explanation is understandable, I can clarify)

There is a good news though, upon closer hearing, there is a difference when adjusting the knob. Having read some posts on HB about the quest. I believe mine is one of those models that has the fan activated already upon activating the timer.

Thanks everyone:}

Still roasting & discovering with the quest...

Sincerely,
Dan
FYI: In my neck of the woods, er, bay, we call the tufts of yarn on sails tell-tales.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.
Apricotbeans
Hi Birdfx,

Thanks for the reply, my adjustment knob does work. There is a noticeable increase in fan speed upon adjusting. Though I am still curious if anyone managed to modify it. Because by DEFAULT, my fan is already activated upon turning the timer switch.

And I take it the fan you are talking about instead, is the one at the back where the vent is.
Dan

Don't want to hijack the Thread but the end result is telling which way and how strong the wind is blowing

Hijack Thread Notice!

<Hijacked Thread>
Telltails on mast tops are to determine relative wind direction. Telltails on sails are to determine if the airflow is laminar or turbulent, especially important when sailing close to the wind.
</Hijacked Thread>
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.
Dan
BirdFx, Well, I do have an anemometer (another sailing reference), but no Quest to measure. I wish I did have one of those shiny bling-bling roasters.
Apricotbeans
Hi Birdfx, any luck with finding anything new in regards to the fan? I await impatiently for any updates, no updates are also good updates.

:}
ginny
AB,

Bird said:

The next time I dismantle Quest I will take the electronics section with its wee little fan apart to see what is ticking in there.

from reading his other posts I think it will be several months plus before he dismantles his Quest again; perhaps you should simply take yours apart and let the rest of us know what you find...

ginny

smoking
SmokNmirz
BLrdFx here, after a LogOn name change to try to get some electronic bugs worked out (probably my end with multiple PM notifications) I just want to let you all know I was back and still working on my Quest.

I am debating whether to put a vacuum onto the cooling bin, under the cooling tray, or just put a fan under it and try to collect chaff directly under the fan. Any thoughts on this idea?

http://mini4fun.i..._Mods.html

Cheers!
Stephen
L-1p, HG-1-motorized, Monolith Flat, (ordered) mini500Plus.

If whatever you do does not put a smile on your face then rethink what you are doing.
gene
Just when I started to ask more off-the-wall questions here comes SmokNmirz with some great photos and explanations.
The ease of adding probes would seem to be a huge advantage of the Q3

Are all the Quests we are talking about here 110V models? I know Coffee Shrub has 110V models only at the moment.
Everything else being equal seems like the 220 would have more advantages providing the 220 plug in is not a prob. I can locate one easily practically anywhere in my home. And have some in an outbuilding.

Is the chaff collection a tiny prob?

SmokNmirz
"I am debating whether to put a vacuum onto the cooling bin, under the cooling tray, or just put a fan under it and try to collect chaff directly under the fan. Any thoughts on this idea?"

Thanks
gene
boar_d_laze

gene wrote:
The ease of adding probes would seem to be a huge advantage of the Q3.

Yes. Take a look at Eric S's pdf and it will give you some idea of the easiest and most common possibilities. Eric will sell you the TCs and fittings; but if you look at his price list (p. 7) you'll see that he also includes the model numbers for the Omega TCs.

Everything else being equal seems like the 220 would have more advantages...

Why? The 110V has more than enough power to roast way too fast.

Is the chaff collection a tiny prob?

Like the HT, it's a drum roaster without a cyclone. Chaff isn't so much a problem as a chore. It's something which must be addressed after every roast.

Roaster: Vacuum everything you can reach after every roast.
Beans: Toss them in a colander after cooling; or forgo the Quest's cooling setup, and use a separate cooling box with a coarse screen.

On the sunny side of the street it's not as likely to burst into flames as a Behmor.

BDL

Caveat: I'm not a Quest maven by any means.
Edited by JackH on 12/05/2013 3:36 AM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood
John Despres
Hey, BDL, mentioned Eric S and his PDF and price list in your last post. I'm not sure what the reference is to so could you please post a link to it? I'm all about free enterprise on this kind of stuff and simply buying it. If it's all readily available, I'm readily buying.

I can't seem to find the link in this thread, so if you could re-post it, that would be great!

Thanks!ThumbsUp
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
boar_d_laze
Mouse your cursor over the words "Eric S's pdf" in my previous post and the hot link will appear.

Or... CLICK HERE.

BDL
Edited by JackH on 12/05/2013 3:36 AM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood
John Despres
Aha!... The contrast is very poor to see the link. I like underlining mine to help show it.

Thanks! I'll study that and go from there.

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres
John Despres
That's a great document! Thanks for sharing it, BDL.

J
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Jump to Forum: