Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,663
Newest Member: sihar

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Breadmachine Modification
6eight
So I set out to alter a bread machine so I could roast up to a pound of coffee at a time. The first trick was finding the right bread machine so I stopped at 3 thrift stores on the way home from work the other day. I now have 5 bread machine and a wife that thinks I am insane. Out of the five I liked the Wellbuilt brand. The motor is on the bottom of the mechanism instead of off to the side as you will see in a few pictures. For me, this made it easier to make some alterations.

My main goal was to remove the mechanism from the standard bread bin and replace it with a stainless steel bain marie (I have hundreds laying around the kitchen). All of the bread machines I found were teflon coated and from what I have read this is bad. I also liked the idea of a round roasting chamber.
6eight attached the following image:
img00051-20101105-1331.jpg

?I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.? ? W.C. Fields

6eight
Here is the inside of the bain marie without the agitator. The mechanism is bolted on with stainless steel machine screws.
img00050-20101105-1330.jpg

6eight
the entire roasting drum
img00049-20101105-1330.jpg

6eight
The next issue was an insulator. I found a pot in the storage room that we no langer use and thought it would be perfect. The top tapers in so it would need a lot of modification. I removed the mechnism from the base of the breadmachine that was mounted in the old square chamber of the unit. Then a 2.5 inch hole was drill out of the bottom so the mechanism would sit in the whole and mount to the base with the existing screw holes. The stainless steel bain marie then fits directly into the base now located inside the pot.
img00046-20101104-1659.jpg

6eight
I am going to take it for a test run this afternoon so I will post some more pictures.

seedlings
Yess!

<waits for this afternoon>
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
Okay, it's afternoon. Looking for that update...

That looks great!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

scarter11
What exactly is a bane marie?

seedlings

scarter11 wrote:
What exactly is a bane marie?

AKA "double boiler" or "water bath" I believe...

CHAD

6eight

What exactly is a bane marie

Sorry about that. It is the only name I know to use. A bain marie is a straight sides stainless steel container. The are used to hold soup or sauces in steamtables. The come in many different qt sizes.

6eight
OK. So I took the new roaster out for a spin. For the most part I think it was a success. There is also a lot of room for improvement. I had several self imposed challenges. The first was my temperature meter displays in celsius. Even though cooking is my life I know nothing about celsius so I need to do some studying. The second challenge was lack of experience with variable speed controls and roasting.

Here is a picture of the roaster setup. I will need to make some improvements, but this got me roasting. The top is an oven drip pan for a small electric stove. The heat gun fits through the hole perfectly. I just happened to have a couple of these in the garage. The PVC stand came in handy to hold the gun. I made the stand about a year ago as part of a homemade light tent for taking photos. It is now dual purpose.
img00053-20101108-1629.jpg

6eight
Here is the heat gun and the oven pan
img00056-20101108-1630.jpg

6eight
a look up top
img00052-20101108-1629.jpg

6eight
here is a shot of the bain marie nestled into the insulator pot. I modified the agitator with an extended piece of aluminum that I twisted like a propeller. I am having a little problem with binding in the beginning. It doesn't bind on the edge, but the beans get under the agitators.
img00055-20101108-1630.jpg

6eight
And here was the first roast (FTO Sumatra Man.). I started with 20 oz. For the next batch I might scale back a little and just roast a pound. It was fairly even give or take a few beans that were easily removed. The picture shows the roast a little darker then it really is. The details for the roast are;

0 minutes - Turned roaster and heat gun on (no preheating)
5 minutes - bean temp 147 c
8.15 min - started first crack (187 c)
9.30 min - bean temp 204 c (slowed temp with variable speed control)
11.20 min - started second crack (removed beans)

I need to continue and test the variable speed control for the heat gun and find out how much and when to reduce the heat. My intent was to speed a little more time inbetween the first and second, but as you can see it went pretty fast. I have 15 more pounds of this particular bean so I am going to try many different things to get a feel for this roaster.
img00057-20101108-1658.jpg

6eight
The bad part of this experiment is I just purchased a turbo oven from ebay. This will change my whole set up. At least this will keep me roasting so I can take my time with the next project. I have been admiring the "dream roaster" for a few months now and might try a scaled down version if I can find the right parts.

Koffee Kosmo

6eight wrote:
The bad part of this experiment is I just purchased a turbo oven from ebay. This will change my whole set up. At least this will keep me roasting so I can take my time with the next project. I have been admiring the "dream roaster" for a few months now and might try a scaled down version if I can find the right parts.

The dream roaster is a wonderful beast
I love the roast results the turbo oven produces

I have built a similar turbo oven design myself
KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

6eight

I have built a similar turbo oven design myself

I have looked at your posts as well. The kit you have put together is great. Once my turbo oven gets here I will have a better understanding of the modifations I need to make.

6eight
I did a little research on my temperatures and they seem low compared to roasting charts. It may be a case where I need to reposition my thermocouple. The current position is just above the agitator. It stays covered the whole time. I may try to insert a stainless steel oven probe with a digital read out to see how it does. The one I am currently using is a "k" type that plugs into the meter.

As for the coffee it needs to rest a couple days, but I did try some this morning. The results were much better then what I achieved with an unmodified airpopper so that is a good sign.

David

6eight wrote: The first trick was finding the right bread machine so I stopped at 3 thrift stores on the way home from work the other day. I now have 5 bread machine and a wife that thinks I am insane.

Yep. Par for the course so far. Grin

Out of the five I liked the Wellbuilt brand. The motor is on the bottom of the mechanism instead of off to the side as you will see in a few pictures. For me, this made it easier to make some alterations.

Absolutely. Finding a Wellbuilt with the motor under the deck amongst your first five machines is well above par.
Nicely done, 6eight. You look like you are well on your way. :Clap:

You have done your homework, so you probably already know this: The main thing about the temperature readings is that they are consistent, reliable. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if the temps don't match what expensive instrumentation shows in a super-controlled environment. As long as first crack comes around the same point each time and the same for 2C as well.
Also, the temperature measurements will vary with the depth of beans at the bottom. Since you'll be measuring some combination of bean surface temperature and heated air, a deeper layer of beans burying you thermocouple will be show something closer to the actual bean surface temperature.

BTW, will the new turbo oven fit into your roasting vessel? If not, maybe Vessel II will be wide enough to accommodate.

Onward!

David

6eight

BTW, will the new turbo oven fit into your roasting vessel? If not, maybe Vessel II will be wide enough to accommodate.

I am pretty sure it will not. The turbo ovens that I have seen being used require at least a 12" opening. What I think I may do is leave the one I have posted alone except for a few tweaks here and there. I actually found 2 Wellbuilts that are the exact same. I will use the base of the second one or purchase a small induction motor for the turbo oven roaster. I have a mixed bag of pot and pans that I have accumulated from kitchens past as well as the pot and pan cemetary at the local restaurant supply store. This approach will allow me to take my time with the turbo roaster since I will still be able to roast in the modified bread machine.

Thanks for the info on the temperature. Celcius is going to be my nemesis on this oneShock!

JETROASTER
If this is some of your first roasts ever, you're off to a great start!! That FTO looks great. Scott

seedlings
3:00 between first and second is good, so don't knock it! You've just illustrated how easy it is to have fresh gourmet coffee at your door on the cheap... always love the innovation and application of ideas sparked by other threads here. Good stuff!

CHAD

randytsuch

6eight wrote:
[quote] Celcius is going to be my nemesis on this oneShock!

I learned to roast with Celcius too, my first temp meter only read in C.

Just keep logging your temps, you need to figure out what the temps are for your setup anyway.

After a while, you'll know when to expect first, and around when you want to stop to get the degree of roast that you are going for.

Every setup is different, so everyone's temp readings vary a little, so you need to get used to the temps for your setup.

BTW, I agree with the others, that's a great first roast, way better then my first roast was.

Randy

6eight
Thanks for the info everyone. This roast was much better then my airpopper (which at the time I thought was awesome). Now I have to do my homework and learn some standards of roasting (i.e. how much time before first crack, how much time between second, etc.). I know it will be different for each type of bean, but It would help to know a basic standard.

Thanks again!

Jump to Forum: