Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Holiday Bean Swap 2010!!
scarter11
Jimbo, I just finished roasting up your two half pound bags. It's not supposed to be this cold in Tallahassee.

Will get them in the mail tomorrow.

Jimbo

scarter11 wrote:
Jimbo, I just finished roasting up your two half pound bags. It's not supposed to be this cold in Tallahassee.

Thanks Scott. I had actually roasted last Thursday and promptly headed for the west coast Friday. I had asked my lovely wife to drop them off, but she forgot. They're still sitting on the kitchen counter.

Sooooo ... I'm back to the Ohio tundra tomorrow and will do a fresh roast and mail on Thursday.

Can't wait to try 'em out!

Jimbo
"You do realize that your detailed plan has three steps and two of those steps hinge on running?"

farmroast

John Despres wrote:

farmroast wrote:
jlyon10, Jim, PM sent 12/02
farm

Hey, Ed, did you connect with Jim yet?

John

yes we did. thanks for checking.
Ed
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

allenb
An over-sized, supersampler box of Guat-Acatenango Finca La Soledad, FTO Dominican, Ethiopian Yirg and Mexican was handed to me by the local UPS driver today!

This happened just before I was going down to the shop to crank up the roaster for the weeks roasts. I'm glad I didn't make it to my roaster since I'm going to be busy with this for a while.

Thanks Scott for such a generous offering.

BTW, if these taste anything as good as their aroma we're in for some superb holiday coffee this season.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JETROASTER
I'm enjoying the Columbian today. Clearly, you were going to have some great coffee either way. Enjoy the holidays. Scott

Jimbo

Jimbo wrote:

scarter11 wrote:

Thanks Scott. I had actually roasted last Thursday and promptly headed for the west coast Friday. I had asked my lovely wife to drop them off, but she forgot. They're still sitting on the kitchen counter.

Sooooo ... I'm back to the Ohio tundra tomorrow and will do a fresh roast and mail on Thursday.

Can't wait to try 'em out!

Jimbo

So, I have a hard time keeping up with my wife. I must be getting old.

She mailed the beans Monday or Tuesday I think. So Scott, you should have them soon.

Jimbo
"You do realize that your detailed plan has three steps and two of those steps hinge on running?"

scarter11
Hey Jimbo. Your beans came in today. I wasn't able to get yours in the mail until Friday. The holidays are a pretty hectic. And add to that my wife and three boys have all been sick.

Anyway, can't wait to try some of them tomorrow. Thanks for the hints. Let me know if you want one as well.

Jimbo

scarter11 wrote:
Hey Jimbo. Your beans came in today. I wasn't able to get yours in the mail until Friday. The holidays are a pretty hectic. And add to that my wife and three boys have all been sick.

Anyway, can't wait to try some of them tomorrow. Thanks for the hints. Let me know if you want one as well.

Hey Scott,

Glad they arrived! Yours showed up at my house today as well. And, unfortunately, I am not there. Looking forward to getting home and trying them out ... Thursday. (Dang job!)

Enjoy. Hints would be good, too.

jlyon10
I got my beans the other day as well, I should be trying them tomorrow or the next day they look amazing.
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans

scarter11

Jimbo wrote:

scarter11 wrote:

Hey Scott,

Glad they arrived! Yours showed up at my house today as well. And, unfortunately, I am not there. Looking forward to getting home and trying them out ... Thursday. (Dang job!)

Enjoy. Hints would be good, too.

I'll give you a hint for one. One of the roasts is darker. That one is African.

seedlings
I'm finally getting in the game! Phil I just roasted two varieties for you, one big and bold, and another bean I just discovered. It will be in the mail shortly!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

dja
Keith: got your beans today, they all looked really good. I think the postlady was trying to get to the goodies in the package from the shape it arrived in.

Sumatra, dark and bold, or the last that I had was.

JBM, Jamacia Blue Mountain, hope I guessed it correctly, never had it in home roast.

IMV, I'm taking it that this is an Ethiopian from the size of the beans and the smell and taste,

The beans really look good, a little more oil on the beans then I roast too, I am sitting here sipping on a cup of the IMV as I type this, and I have to say it taste like a well rested cup of Ethiopian, not a Kenyan.

David.
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

Jimbo
Scott,

Thoroughly enjoyed the first brew of the darker roast this morning. Brewed it up in my Yama Vac pot. Based on the hint you gave, I'm going to say Ethiopian, but the brightness was more subdued than other Ethiopians I have had. And this is a good thing in my book since I do not like particularly bright coffees.

This one seems to me to be an all around, every day kind of coffee ... a go to cup. Mild in intensity. I didn't get a lot of fruit bomb that is often found in Ethiopian. As it cooled i found myself tasting chocolate that was headed toward bittersweet.

Thanks for a very nice coffee.

Jimbo

John Despres
Ginny, your beans arrived today. I arrived home to a package of 1100 square feet of heavy weight muslin and a much smaller package. I like the smaller one better.

The Burundi smells divine and the other one has my olfactories guessing already as to the origin, but they smell wonderful! I'll wait until tasting before hazarding a guess.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Oh, and my son made of with the pink lemonade sucker. Sigh...

I also received word today the parts for my roaster were shipped today. As soon as I get them installed, I'll run a couple test batches and roast yours up and get them out right away. I think you'll have them for a little new year's eve enjoyment if all goes well.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

scarter11
Good guess. The African bean is a Harrar Longberry. You can peel the top label off to reveal my normal label. I went a little darker than I normally go, so the blueberry were not as evident I suspect.

I've had several cups of each of yours since it arrived, both with a press and my CCD. I've got several things stacked against me guessing your beans, both my inexperience, and a head cold. I was going to say Ethiopian as well, or may Ruwanda for the African. For the American, Brazil maybe? Maybe when my head clears, I will be able to better analyse the flavors.

Jimbo wrote:
Scott,

Thoroughly enjoyed the first brew of the darker roast this morning. Brewed it up in my Yama Vac pot. Based on the hint you gave, I'm going to say Ethiopian, but the brightness was more subdued than other Ethiopians I have had. And this is a good thing in my book since I do not like particularly bright coffees.

This one seems to me to be an all around, every day kind of coffee ... a go to cup. Mild in intensity. I didn't get a lot of fruit bomb that is often found in Ethiopian. As it cooled i found myself tasting chocolate that was headed toward bittersweet.

Thanks for a very nice coffee.

Jimbo

farmroast
Enjoying a cuppa Nic :smileycoffee: (not to be confused with St. Nic) from Jim jlyon10, very nicely roasted with nice sweetness. Very clean ThumbsUp roast from I believe a BBQ drum setup. Much appreciated!
best wishes this holiday season,
Ed
aka farmroast
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

Jimbo
Scott,

Enjoying the second batch this Christmas morning. The lighter roast, and again a very nice, clean cup. Can't really guess the origin though. so, I'll cheat and look under the label.

As for the two I sent:
Costa Rican Tarrazu - Montes de Oro - one of my all time favorites
Ethiopian Organic Shiliso Sidamo "Maduro"

Merry Christmas.

Jimbo

Ringo
I have to report on my coffee from randysuch First I got 4 different coffees, 2 roast of a really nice ethiopian, a PNG, a really nice Kenyan. All coffee was wonderful, the PNG was My favorate but all were great. I can say Randy is a skilled roaster, his coffee was the best. This was fun.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

seedlings
Phil (stoneguard), the baby is up early today, so I'm enjoying some of Roast #1 from the Vac Pot:

Beans look Full City+ with a few beans showing tiny oil droplets. They are characterized by slight variations in size, but none are very small or very large.

Dry Grounds smelled like apple juice with faint cedar in the background.

Wet Grounds gave a light floral (honeysuckle?), pear and apple fruitiness.

Hot cup I taste graham cracker, pear, melon, caramelized brown sugar sweetness... kind of tastes like apple cobbler! Good acidity, medium body with lingering gentle finish where a note of....? fresh basil blooming in the garden? Not quite mint, not quite earth.

Cool cup brings heavier baking spices and darkens the overall character.

Excellent cup, great hand at the roaster!

Generally reminds me of a Panama, but it has some spice that might be found in a Kenya. Doesn't taste Indonesian at all. Not Ethiopia, probably not Rwanda, maybe Burundi, probably not south American (except for a possibly Costa). Could be another central besides Panama (except for the spice in the finish). Not El Salvador, not Honduras, maybe Guatemala, maybe Nicaragua... I'm stumped!

Should be sampling Roast #2 after church, and I can't wait!

CHAD

*edit: If I had to guess I'd say Panama or Nicaragua.
Edited by seedlings on 12/26/2010 8:37 AM

seedlings
Well, I couldn't wait.

Roast #2 is deceiving. Physically it looks darker, no chaff in the crease, almost no oil, but I don't think it's really much darker roast than Full City+(which might mean it's a softer bean). Beans are a little rounder than Roast #1. Vac pot brew:

Dry Grounds- heavy forest earth

Wet grounds- same

Hot cup- low acidity, medium body, earth/forest spice, caramel and faint herbs

Cool cup- brings sweet vanilla bean and a mild finish

Another tasty cup showing off your roasting skills. I'm not going to beat around the bush on this one, instead I'll give my best guest of Papua New Guinea.

What a fun exchange so far... plus I have MORE COFFEE to brew! Thanks a bunch, Phil!

CHAD

stoneguard
CHAD, thanks for the great and detailed reviews! For Roast #1, it is actually an Organic Ethiopian Sidamo. I would agree it is Full City to FC+ in roast. Thank you for the great compliments! I will tell you what #2 is when I write up your second coffee.

I cannot promise my reviews to be quite so well done, but I am still a young coffee evaluator Grin. My first evaluation is of the Beans in the Brown bag with a window:

The beans have a very strong yet alluring aroma that reaches out and says "here I am!" This aroma carries all the way through the grind and into the cup. I would say the beans are approximately a City+ roast. Ground, the beans continued to have a pungent and strong presence with wonderful earthy accents.

I brewed in a French Press (my only brew method at the moment). The aroma his me with a spicy caramel, with hints of chocolate bean.

The taste has a slight citrus, tending toward lemons (but not actually lemony), with wonderful floral accents (my wife says hibiscus) and mellow overtones with just a hint of saltiness.

Very good cup of coffee! If I had to guess (erm, I suppose I DO have to guess), I would say that it is a Central American bean, but I am very limited in my bean knowledge still.
Edited by stoneguard on 12/27/2010 7:26 AM

seedlings
Excellent evalutation, Phil! You were right on the Central American, it's El Salvador Finca La Florida, and, yes I tried to stop at City+, about 425F.

Now, my first guess was way off! Sidamo?!? I'm drinking it right now filter brewed, it's tasty! If only the bean size had more variations or I tasted berry instead of apple/pear... I'm still learning.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 12/27/2010 8:05 AM

stoneguard
For those that don't know, Chad couldn't wait, so I had to tell him roast #2 was a Brazil Cerrado DP Fazenda Aurea.

My second evaluation is of the beans in the silver bag. My wife was a great catalyst yesterday, but I did not have her help this morning:

First off, the beans - whole and ground - remind me of an Ethiopian. The taste does not so much, but I am sticking with Ethiopian because I don't have a better guess :up-late:. I would say the roast verges on Full City+, leaning toward Full City.

The bean aroma has a very slight oily smell with a hint of fish oils. Not an overwhelming, but a welcoming smell when I open the bag. The grind has a more buttery smell (reminds me of a Sumatra bean I have).

I brewed in the French Press again (I want to get a couple other brewers). The aroma of the coffee had a slight toffee smell to me and was very mellow, like a gentle morning mist rolling over the senses.

The taste proved to be a challenge. There seems to be high acidity, giving me a taste of tea leaves. There is also a hint of grapefruit and a sharp tang suggesting a bit of alkaline. Even so, it is a pleasant cup.

Thanks for the great coffees! I am going to enjoy finishing them both up over the next week :).

Thanks for handling coordinating all this, John. It has been a great experience!

seedlings
Yes, yes, I was waaaay off in both guesses: 0-2.

Phil, the silver bag is another 'trick' coffee: Brazil Moreninha Formosa "Raisin" roasted to Full City++, dumped after first 2C snaps, but before 2C started rolling.

This was my last batch, I was saving it if ever we had a bean exchange... and we did!

Thanks, Phil and John, and everyone participating!

CHAD

jlyon10

farmroast wrote:
Enjoying a cuppa Nic :smileycoffee: (not to be confused with St. Nic) from Jim jlyon10, very nicely roasted with nice sweetness. Very clean ThumbsUp roast from I believe a BBQ drum setup. Much appreciated!
best wishes this holiday season,
Ed
aka farmroast

Actually I have a Fresh Roast plus 8 and sr300 that I use to roast with. I couldn't get the BBQ to roast consistenly and gave up on it. Both of your coffee were excellent and my wife liked them both, a hard thing to accomplish. Where did you get the El Salvador, my favorite
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans

Jump to Forum: