Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
tahoeguy and sanakashyap220, coffee drink

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 11

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,369
Newest Member: tahoeguy

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cold Brew
Jimbo
Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here ...

Anyone ever use one of these:

http://www.amazon...XW2WFAJFP6

Tuesday Morning has them for $7. My coffee paraphernalia pile is getting large, but for $7 bucks I'm thinking what the heck. But if it's pure garbage I don't need to take up more space.

Jimbo
Edited by Jimbo on 12/20/2010 8:39 PM
"You do realize that your detailed plan has three steps and two of those steps hinge on running?"

Unta
if you like things that do one thing, then its cheap enough. Cold brewing is great for iced coffee IMO. I just take a cotton bag or few layers of cheese cloth fill it full of the grounds and knot a rubber band around the top and toss it in a jar or a pail or a jug (all have to be sealed)of water and let it set for 16- 24 hours at room temp. 1/2lb of ground beans per gallon I believe is the ratio. holds well in the fridge.
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

endlesscycles
http://countercul...ced-coffee
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

JETROASTER
Traditionally known as 'Dutch Coffee Extract' Great for cooking applications as well. Yum. -Scott

hazbean
Unta wrote: "I just take a cotton bag or few layers of cheese cloth fill it full of the grounds"

I'm planning to try this with empty green coffee bags. What grind level do you use, I'd guess coarse e.g. as for plunger?

Thinking that a nice cold coffee might be good now that summer is finally starting up (34C / 93F for Christmas) ...

yamhill
I have one. I almost bought another when I saw them at $7. I use it in the summer and keep a batch in the refrigerator for cold coffee drinks. I believe that the original brand is a "Toddy".

Besides the alternatives listed here, some folks use a french press with cold water and brew it for 12-24 hours.

John

Unta

hazbean wrote:
Unta wrote: "I just take a cotton bag or few layers of cheese cloth fill it full of the grounds"

I'm planning to try this with empty green coffee bags. What grind level do you use, I'd guess coarse e.g. as for plunger?

Thinking that a nice cold coffee might be good now that summer is finally starting up (34C / 93F for Christmas) ...

Ithink those green coffee bags should work great, i was planning on trying some when the winter shuts off:).
Course grind seems right to me, though extraction levels should be to taste.
I Also had read that some people will take the results of my suggested method and add a bit of water to dilute, again to taste.
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

hazbean
Thanks!

I'd planned to try two or three lots in smaller amounts (there's lots of these green coffee bags around here) at the brew ratio you suggest and sample after different times.

A couple of days ago we tried at a local coffee shop some Kenya Mataro through a cold drip brewer. It was very nice, more so that I expected. I know this is a different process, but it prompted me to finally get around to trying a cold brew process.

Jimbo
Unta, I'll try your suggestion. Thanks! I've wanted to give this a try since visiting my son in Lincoln over the summer. He ordered an iced coffee that was amazing.

Jimbo
"You do realize that your detailed plan has three steps and two of those steps hinge on running?"

Unta

freshbeans wrote:
Traditionally known as 'Dutch Coffee Extract' Great for cooking applications as well. Yum. -Scott

I have a friend who is into Cider fermentation that is planning to give the cold brew extract /cider combo a whirl.. Looking forward to that.
sean
Edited by Unta on 12/24/2010 9:54 AM
Sean Harrington
educate.

Jump to Forum: