Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 13

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,044
Newest Member: Jimmy_Zulu
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Coffee Second to Oil?
JETROASTER
I just took it for granted.....whoops.

http://www.entrep...799_1.html

Second largest export from developing nations. That's still pretty big!!

Happy Holidays to All !! -Scott
SteveN
good read... thanks for the link!
Unta
The 1.24 sounded both high and low from what ive read about the commodity price for green versus the Fair trade price. Id be curious to see how the came to arrive @ 1.24 per.
The interesting bit that needs to be brought to light is the impact that all this trade hullabaloo has on the lives of these farmers, and how the price paid doesnt represent the actual payment to the farmer. Fortunatly the fair trade systems attempts to address it, but i think the Sweet marias farm gate initiative really hits a home run and should be a goal of specialty coffee folks everywhere to think about the dest direct route for your dollars to get back tot he people who are actually producing this amazing product.. ;)
sean
Edited by Unta on 12/23/2010 12:06 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.
JETROASTER
Yeah, Farmgate suits me better. Clearly the Democratization of coffee could have a huge impact on developing nations......
...if it's permitted.

I like the 'third-wave'. I feel like a revolutionary.
"Viva La Lima!!!" -Scott
John Despres
I'm a huge fan of Farm Gate as well. Fair trade is usually fair for the co-op owners and not always fair to the farmer.

Tom has certainly hit it out of the park with his program and I, too, hope others follow suit. Unfortunately, there are countries that won't allow Farm Gate like Kenya and Ethiopia whose coffees are government controlled and sold.

John
Edited by John Despres on 12/23/2010 2:22 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
Unta

John Despres wrote:
Fair trade is usually fair for the co-op owners and not always fair to the farmer.

John

It really speaks to the coruption that is rampant in the financial pipe lines. Though the fair trade systems offers up a bigger chunk of cash, and helping these coops that get the coffee to the state run auctions is a benefit to the alternatives for these farmers. In most cases from what ive read, the benfit of a living wage is being paid, plus the infrustructure improvements (health care, water systems, schools) that the CO-OPs are building is much better then it had been in the past.
Perfect not by a long shot, but better then it had been in the past, where farmers would get to market to find that the commodity market , set by wall street , just set the coffee prices @ 40 cents bellow cost...
sean

PS : Though in talking with Royal, this year because of the coffee prices being so high they say that there are farmers opting out of their fair trade contracts...
Edited by Unta on 12/24/2010 9:11 AM
Sean Harrington
educate.
John Despres
Fair trade contracts also hurt if a member farmer has a Cup of Excellence candidate.

It's a weird deal - often farmers are charged a membership fee by the co-ops and although the fee may seem low to us, it could take the farmer a lifetime to pay back a loan of the fee amounts.

It's slowly improving, though, and I'm glad for that.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
Clifford
I buy mostly Farmer's Gate coffee unless it is a special estate
May the Force be with your cup
Jump to Forum: