Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Green Bean Odor
Third Crack
I just received a shipment of Ethiopia Amaro Gayo beans and they have a rather strong odor...like tobacco or a fermented smell. These are the first dry processed beans I have ever purchased so I am wondering if this is a defect or normal. All the wet processed beans I have received either have no smell or very little. Thanks..Bob

seedlings
I've never experienced a strong odor for any bean, including dry process Ethiopians. I'm intrigued, but suspicious.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
Where did you buy it?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Third Crack
It is from Roast Masters. I received a reply from them that this is normal for unwashed beans. I normally buy from Sweet Marias but was particularly intrigued with this particular bean so I went with a different supplier. Bob

John Despres
Hmmm. I've heard pretty good things about Roastmasters. Odd.

I'd say tobacco isn't unusual. Is there a slight sweetness to it and maybe a bit of fresh mowed hay?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Third Crack
I can check again but based on the vendor response I am assuming that more aroma in a bean processed this way is normal. It likely had an enhanced aroma because it came in a sealed bag. It will likely dissipate some after a short time breathing. I'm hearing some good things about this particular bean and I'm looking forward to my first roast soon. I have a love of blueberry notes that have been lacking in more recent Kenya beans I've roasted but this shows promise.
Bob

smatty1
Most DP Ethiopians, in my experience, have a fermented smell. I have gotten that same bean from roastmasters and did not think the smell was out of the ordinary. It roasted fine and was an awesome cup.
The ferment comes from pulp left to dry on the bean in the sun and will vary according to bean and process. I'm a huge fan of those flavors myself:)

Third Crack
Thanks Smatty....just showing my inexperience. I feel better now!

smatty1

Third Crack wrote:
Thanks Smatty....just showing my inexperience. I feel better now!

We all start green:)
I think there may be a distinction too between 'odor' and 'aroma' :)

Third Crack
I want to come full circle on this thread. Smatty1 straightened me out on the aroma typical for DP beans. I did my first roast with the Ethiopia Amaro Gayo DP beans and it exceeded my expectations. I had been roasting mostly Kenya and Columbia beans from Sweet Marias and had very nice results but still thought I was missing something in my roasting technique (still possible). The Amaro Gayo on the other hand just exploded with fruit fragrance and flavor with a rich, syrupy body. Even disposing of the grounds I was enjoying the blueberry aroma. I thought I under-roasted a bit maybe getting just to City but it was great. I may try the next time to City+ as a comparison. By the way, I did no sorting of the roasted beans and probably didn't know what to look for anyway!
So I will no longer be wary of the fermented aroma of the green beans and never doubt John when he touts the virtues of Ethiopia DP coffee.
Bob
Edited by Third Crack on 01/15/2011 7:58 AM

smatty1

Third Crack wrote:
I want to come full circle on this thread. Smatty1 straightened me out on the aroma typical for DP beans. I did my first roast with the Ethiopia Amaro Gayo DP beans and it exceeded my expectations. I had been roasting mostly Kenya and Columbia beans from Sweet Marias and had very nice results but still thought I was missing something in my roasting technique (still possible). The Amaro Gayo on the other hand just exploded with fruit fragrance and flavor with a rich, syrupy body. Even disposing of the grounds I was enjoying the blueberry aroma. I thought I under-roasted a bit maybe getting just to City but it was great. I may try the next time to City+ as a comparison. By the way, I did no sorting of the roasted beans and probably didn't know what to look for anyway!
So I will no longer be wary of the fermented aroma of the green beans and never doubt John when he touts the virtues of Ethiopia DP coffee.
Bob

Success!
I thought that one was the best Ethiopian of the year! Total fruit explosion!:)
I sometimes sort out some of the weaker 'quaker' beans if there are a lot of them. Most of the time I leave em in. I like to to walk on the wild siide:)

John Despres
Excellent, Bob! Sounds like you're making headway and finally starting to date other girls.

I'm so glad you're having some great success.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Gregman
Roast masters is a great site for coffee. We happen to live near by so I might be biased. The Gayo is my personal favorite coffee bean. You must have gotten one of the last few orders of it becasue it's gone now until June.

Roast this one slow and never beyond second crack for fruity goodness.
It's blueberry heaven if you roast it right.
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!

Third Crack
I agree on the Gayo bean...it is one of the best I have roasted. Luckily I bought a fair amount and have several 8oz vacuum packs ready for future roasts. I suspect you are right on the roast level...don't go too far or you'll lose much of the fruitiness. I still haven't roasted past City but I have a hunch City+ may be near optimum for my tastes.
I also like Roast Masters and generally buy there or SM.
Bob

ginny
Hey Third Crack (love the avatar:)

tobacco is a very common smell in roasted beans. It take's a really good nose to find it in the greens.

Congratulations!

I have a friend down the way who has a nose that knows and can sniff out anything.

Have lost money to this woman because I knew she would never figure it out!!

$$$$$'s later I believe. to you.

ginny

:P

Thanks for coming aboard and another hardy Welcome

Third Crack
Well, I'd like to take credit for a good nose but this was quite pronounced being a DP Ethiopian. Actually I am quite bad at cupping both in regards to aroma and taste. While others are listing ten things they can pick out, I say...hum..tastes good..hum smells good!
Bob

dja
Ethiopian Gayo yep missed out on that one had to settle for the Yirg from Keko farms. not much of a cupper myself but this one after about four days of resting makes one d#$n fine cup of coffee, everyone that I have let taste it says the same thing.

now if they would just get some Gayo back in stock.

Keep after it Third Crack your find your own flavors in the beans,

I tell my brother when talking about differant beans and new ones that I find leather and good cigar taste flavors in coffee which to me make that particular bean what it is, he thinks I'm nuts I tell him I know he is with some of the flavors he finds.

DJA
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

marcwonglm

Third Crack wrote:
I can check again but based on the vendor response I am assuming that more aroma in a bean processed this way is normal. It likely had an enhanced aroma because it came in a sealed bag. It will likely dissipate some after a short time breathing. I'm hearing some good things about this particular bean and I'm looking forward to my first roast soon. I have a love of blueberry notes that have been lacking in more recent Kenya beans I've roasted but this shows promise.
Bob

Hiya TC, late reply, been busy, the smell is usual of these beans, i use them ever so often, and after roasting they are awesome after 3-4 days resting.
Wife and all love this after PNG.

Jump to Forum: