Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
BM Mark II
mainestratman
As promised, I took some pictures of my updated BM roaster. It will eventually have a TO on top of it, but for the time being, I have a couple heat guns that will work nicely.

Please follow this link to see pictures.

mainestratman
Oh, and ironically enough, the motor in this thing (a Goldstar) is model number HMRO32L5.

HMRO? Really?

It was destined to be used as a HoMeROaster!

seedlings
Great presentation! You're using two heatguns? Wow, that's a lot of heat!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

mainestratman
I'm not sure if I'm going to go with two yet or not.. I do have a rather large chamber to heat. I'll most likely start out with one and go from there... I do need to source some of that hi-temp insulation stuff.

Once I get the TO, I'm going to widen out the roast chamber, but will also shorten it, so the TO lid will sit on it. I'll be adding other tweaks and whatnot as I go along to get some consistent roasts out of before taking it to the next level (from 3-4 pounds to 15-20).

This forum alone has provided me all the information I've used in building this thing... can't thank everyone enough for sharing. :-)

mainestratman
Hrmm.. chamber isn't really heating up very well.. I'm getting about 350F max. On the other hand, it's completely not insulated and full of leaks.

I really need to replace the exterior pot with SS... less thermal exchange.

allenb
Can you get a read on the heatgun/guns discharge temp about 2" from their discharge opening?
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

mainestratman
Yup. ~450F at 2", ~600F at 1".

It's a Wagner HT1000, 1200w max.

When doing HG/UBM roasting, we would have to shove the HG nozzle almost into the beans to get them to roast... which is why I was thinking about using both guns. It's cool.. I've got a 30A outlet to plug into. :-)

Edited to add: I'm losing way too much heat through various gaps and through the outer pot.. I'm going to poke around for some insulation until I can get a thicker pot.
Edited by mainestratman on 01/28/2011 4:12 PM

allenb
Insulating will help. Is 450F at 2" the best they can do? I know some of the heat guns I've used in the past would hit somewhere around 750-800 F at 1" from the opening.

later in the roast your going to need closer to 500+ at 2 to 3" distance from the gun's discharge assuming this is an approximate distance from the bean bed?

Can the cfm be varied with the Wagner?
Edited by allenb on 01/28/2011 4:45 PM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

mainestratman
The HT1000 is a very basic HG: http://www.wagner...5,747.html... not much I can do with it.

Depending how how many beans are in the roast, I can position the gun to be an inch or so from the top of the bed. I'm already smelling a really uneven roast.

I'm also toying with the idea of putting the Welbilt's element under the perforated pot. Might help out, if I can keep the perforated pot from sitting on it. :-)

allenb
I'm going to have to defer to others here at HRO for additional help since I have no direct experience with breadmaker/heatgun roasting but primarily drum roasters and small fluidbeds.

Allen

mainestratman
Thanks for the input, regardless.

I've played with both drum and fluidbed as well as BM/HG.. the best roasts we've had so far have been the latter (IMHO). Now it's time for some consistency and larger batches. :-)

David
Howdy, mainestratman, welcome aboard.
Great photoessay. Very strong work indeed.

Regarding heat guns, I think you'll need more power.

The Wagner 775 is my favorite and it's sturdy and comes in at over 1600 Watts.

Home Depot has had a very similar one (different color) under the Milwaukee Tools brand.

Cheaper is the heat gun form Harbor freight tools. They have one that goes on sale every now and then for about $10 bucks. It's a great value and has the power you need as well. It's fairly robust, but if it conks out it doesn't cost much to replace it.

Harbor Freight also has one similar to the $100 Bosch for half the price. It cranks out 1600 watts as well.

Insulating is important, but honestly you'll need more wattage to get the best results from the capacity that your bread machine has.

Hang in there,

David
Edited by David on 01/28/2011 9:56 PM

seedlings
David is right.

Looks like they're black now... every so often they change colors or casings, but they're cheap and I've used mine for almost two years:

http://www.harbor...96289.html

One of these has roasted 2 pounds in my breadmaker.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

mainestratman
Gents,

I'm not going to go too crazy with purchasing heat guns.. I ultimately will be putting a TO on top of this thing... and a couple sturdier pots.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to simply cut a second hole in my lid to facilitate my second HG.

Since they are both older models, I'm going to assume that time and use has worn them out a little bit and that if one will heat my RC to ~350F, then 2 should have no problem with heating it to ~500F.

I still have option #3, which is to add the original Welbilt heating element under the perf pot... I would like to avoid that since it will be a ridiculously tight fit (an inch or so doesn't leave much room for error)...

Edited to add:
At the moment, my focus is on bean agitation.. I'm still working on some ideas for that.. I like KK's agitator/stirrer/swirlygig so will be trying to make something similar.
Edited by mainestratman on 01/29/2011 6:56 AM

mainestratman
Oops.. disregard my temps... turns out my multimeter thermometer is not the most accurate thing in the world. I was confirming temp with my brewing thermometer (which only goes to 392F), and while my multimeter thermometer was hanging out at ~340F, the brewmometer peaked out... so I'm getting more than ~400 in there.

Trip to Walmart. Hopefully they have oven thermometers there. :-)

mainestratman
Stirrer/agitator/swirlygig is done.. I had some extra aluminum carpet edging.. cut two pieces, mated them back to back and riveted them together. We're headed out to do some chores so I'll pick up a U-bolt to connect it to the driveshaft.

mainestratman
And... taking a step back.. the only beans I have on hand are tiny little things from New Guinea, I think, and the BM is throwing them all over the place.

So I'm gonna put this stuff on hold until I can drop a pound or two into the pot and see what happens. I'll update when there's something to update.

Jump to Forum: