renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Dan's Direct-Flame Roaster
coffeeroastersclub

Dan wrote:

Oh, there's a little code I built in to the numbering. They were random, except that the smaller number of the two everyone received was the flame roasted sample, in your case, #14.

I suppose that could be true about the aroma. Next time I'll isolate them better.

Dan, according to the code my #7 was the flame roast. It also had significant oil on the surface of the beans, unlike the non flame roast (mine was #12) . Do you think this was due to the roast method or do you think it was because it was actually roasted darker? If I were to do a visual comparison of each I would say that the flame roast #7 was roasted to Vienna and the #12 to full city.

What are your thoughts on this?

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

Dan
The oilyness surprised me. I haven't seen that on other beans I've flame roasted. The two beans were roasted to exactly the same temperature, just a few cracks into 2nd. When I dumped the beans there were exactly the same color, too, at Full City. Strange.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

coffeeroastersclub

Dan wrote:

The oilyness surprised me. I haven't seen that on other beans I've flame roasted. The two beans were roasted to exactly the same temperature, just a few cracks into 2nd. When I dumped the beans there were exactly the same color, too, at Full City. Strange.

Do you know if other samplers noticed the oilyness or was it just mine? Just curious.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

Dan
Yeh, it was across the board. It wasn't evident in my samples, but then I kept them frozen. I think it was just this bean!
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

yamhill
Dan,

Did you record the temperature throughout both roasts? I'm curious about the temperature ramp and the impact from direct-to-bean radiant heat. If the end temperature of both was the same, could it be that the flame roasted beans had more heat exposure early in the roast?

Back to the aroma, how distinct was the aroma difference to you? I wonder if it was more distinct before the shipping.

John
Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.

Dan

Did you record the temperature throughout both roasts?

No, no data logging. And, I doubt if it would be possible in the flame roaster anyway. The problem is that it would be near impossible to duplicate the same profile on different roasters, and if you did, you might not like the results. I'm afraid this is just going to be an apples and oranges kind of thing.

How distinct was the aroma difference to you?

It was very distinct to me, and I've noticed this has applied to other beans I've roasted, too. It seems to be a flame roaster quality.

One idea I had for a future test is to not try and do side-by-side comparisons, but just roast a bean everyone has some experience with and you can judge for yourselves. I'm thinking of using the standard Costa Rica Tarrazu Hacienda la Minita.

coffeeroastersclub

Dan wrote:

Did you record the temperature throughout both roasts?

No, no data logging. And, I doubt if it would be possible in the flame roaster anyway. The problem is that it would be near impossible to duplicate the same profile on different roasters, and if you did, you might not like the results. I'm afraid this is just going to be an apples and oranges kind of thing.

How distinct was the aroma difference to you?

It was very distinct to me, and I've noticed this has applied to other beans I've roasted, too. It seems to be a flame roaster quality.

One idea I had for a future test is to not try and do side-by-side comparisons, but just roast a bean everyone has some experience with and you can judge for yourselves. I'm thinking of using the standard Costa Rica Tarrazu Hacienda la Minita.

Dan, I agree with the apples and oranges analogy. I think your roaster is a perfect fit for a farmers market outdoor type of environment. The smell of the beans roasting plus the visuals of the beans tumbling through the flames would be an outstanding presentation.

Question: Have you thought of a way to adapt to an indoor environment? Maybe a powerful ventilation hood over the machine? Seems to me that if that could be done it would also be a big draw for a coffee shop.

Len

yamhill
With a hand crank and a propane tank, it would be an awesome camping accessory. Just set it up next to your cook stove.
Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.

Dan
I hadn't thought about those two ideas. It is fun to hear the beans tumbling and watch the huge flame at work. It would be a big draw at a farmer's market.

Ditto with a smaller camper's model. Although, I'd go for the model with a 12VDC gearmotor powered by the camper! Like mine, both could be fueled by a 20 pound LP tank.

Indoors is a possibility, you'd need a vent hood, but the cfm needed wouldn't be very high.

Considering I started with two $10 stainless steel mixing bowls you can't go wrong. Good ideas!

Lawnmowerman
When i go camping its usually in forested areas. So... To paraphrase a familiar icon: Remember. Only YOU can prevent coffee roaster related wildfires. Imagine all the explaining one would have to do. And would have to leave everything behind. Except the most precious items. Like the coffee roaster! For me at least, its much safer to bring along an adequate supply of ROASTED beans. And less cumbersome. I would also strongly advise against using any campsite water for brewing. Bring adequate non chlorinated water.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

jedovaty
Oh - these were Brazilian? That might explain why they were so smooth as espresso.

I apologize for not taking part in scoring, I thought it'd be a lot easier to score than it was! The beans tasted almost the same to me, although they looked a little different and certainly smelled different. The smell made it through not only the ziplock, but also into the mailing box, and now a couple weeks out, it STILL smells that way. I really like the scent, it reminds me of steak.

Dan
Thanks, Jed!

Jump to Forum: