Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,595
Newest Member: shdixon

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Filter replacement
snwcmpr
It doesn't make sense to me that components for the filters are not more readily available SOMEWHERE.
Has anyone found the components for the filters anywhere/
I don't want to throw away the frame, if I only need the paper and the mesh.

Ken
Waynesville, NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Randy G
I made a permanent filter using a stainless steel, screen mesh 120mm computer fan filter. it can be partially covered (or lined) with aluminum foil to restrict the air flow to more closely mimic the resistance of the original filter. Be aware that this style filter allows more particulate matter through so appropriate ventilation precautions should be taken to avoid breathing the smoke.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

snwcmpr
Thanks Randy,
I did find you had posted that information, and I am in awe of your skills and the amount of help you offer on this an other forums.
But, as you say, particulate matter still comes through, and more than the OEM filter.
So, I am hoping to find a source of material to replace the OEM filter paper at the same capability as the original.
I am considering a layering of paper towels with the 'foam' part being washed and replaced.
There is hope in possibly using fan filter paper for a stove hood. If I could find some.

BTW, your beginner profiling instructions are great. I am having a little issue with keeping the temp between 300 - 325 without dropping temp, but, I am adjusting to that and keep getting VERY drinkable coffee.

I have a 6" probe coming from Auber Inc soon, so i can check BMT.

Thanks,
Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

snwcmpr
Update to HotTop filter cleaning:

I have been cleaning the rear filter every 20 roasts by soaking it in a solution of Urnex Full Circle.
Works very well. I have 2 and use the other one while it dries.
Works well for cleaning the top filter, too.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

JimG
My favorite solution (so far) are those green, non-metallic scouring pads from 3M. I think I found them in the paint aisle at Lowes?

Jim

Bhante

JimG wrote:
My favorite solution (so far) are those green, non-metallic scouring pads from 3M.

That should be Basotect isn't it? I'm about to use Basotect as insulation on my espresso boiler. It has a lot of space inside for a filter though.

I just wash mine under the hot tap (occasionally with a little diluted dishwasher soap), let it drain, then dab it dry with paper towel.

Bhante

JimG
What I am using (Scotch Brite Heavy Duty Scour Pad) is different from Basotect. But I can't think of any reason to not use Basotect.

Jim

smico
I bought metal filter that fits perfectly on HT:
http://www.suntek...e_fan.html

First I used only the metal filter, but resistance was very low, and roasting was even dependent on outside weather as my HT is connected to vented hood.?

Then I decided to put back original black cloth, and resulting filter gives very predictable results.? Soaking in cafitza returns filter 100% efficiency.? I will see how long the cloth will last.

After few weeks of roasting with this setup I can say that I have removed one unpredictable variable from my roasting.
Roast after roast, some 15 batches, very consistent and predictable results.
Air flow at different levels is pretty linear, so I can actively use all fan settings.
I will need to find replacement for the cloth at some point.
Edited by ginny on 05/25/2012 4:13 PM

ciel-007
I too have replaced the original HT paper filter with a metallic computer fan screen as Randy brilliantly suggested earlier. However, I have made one small modification which works quite well so far.

I did not use a metal plate to restrict air flow. In order to restrict air flow and to provide some additional filtering of finer particles, I wedged a white paper towel (the kind you buy on rolls for kitchen use) between the metal sreen and the plastic holding frame. After two or three roasts, I slide out the frame to inspect the colour of the white paper filter. If it's very dirty, I simply slide-in a new piece of paper towel. The paper towel soaks up the hot moist vapors very nicely. I normally stop my roasts when the bean mass temperature approaches 440 F... which is below the ignition temperature of paper.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Jump to Forum: