renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
greyberry2, N C, welcome cup

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 1
Dennie_S

Total Members: 8,210
Newest Member: N C

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Intelli's espresso profile?
endlesscycles
http://deaton.wor...august-08/
Edited by endlesscycles on 03/27/2011 12:26 PM
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

farmroast
their heavy Gothot drum really holds the heat by the turn around temp. point.
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

endlesscycles
seriously no comments? (Ed, I'm tempted to calculate the mass of the drum based on the figures given...just for geeky kicks.

Here's what I've read into it:

2min:230
7min:340
12min:390
15min:440

I've been trying it out and will report.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Unta
Ive been playing around with a few things. It might be similar to what your doing between 340 and 390. Specifically a stall around 360..for the sucrose. I also have been playing with a similar accelerated cadence through to finish temp.

1 minute to 190-200 and 5 minute total dry time.
I plan to make some changes there after I play around with the 360 area.

goals are sweetness being prominent.

190- 1 minute
300- 5 minute
360- 7 minute
360- 8 minute
425- 11:30 minute

Sean Harrington
educate.

endlesscycles
I did three roasts...was supposed to be two. One constant what I've been doing for spro, one from this profile. I can assure you the big drums are NOT stalling. I stalled for a minute before entering 1st, so I saved a sample and tried again going smooth and steady. The stalled version beat out the other two. Air roasters offer SO much freedom, it's kinda nuts... why stall? and when? why again? I'm of the opinion that you caramelize however much you want pre 390, and cut off acidity however much you want post 410. What happens pre 310 is fairly paramount to the final product. Other than that, not sure if stalling here or there is any different than just going slow, really... But I don't know for sure, yet.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

farmroast
Driving a Gothot is like driving a big old truck compared to most of our sports cars. This needs to be taken into account. The charge temp.and when heat is again added as well as the slow down before first becomes different due to the drum mass. The overall concept is the same just a different approach to accomplish it.
Ed B.

endlesscycles
I used the following with excellent results:

200@1min
230@2
300@5
340@7
370@10
390(1st)@12
Finish@14:30-15
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Unta

endlesscycles wrote:
I did three roasts...was supposed to be two. One constant what I've been doing for spro, one from this profile. I can assure you the big drums are NOT stalling. I stalled for a minute before entering 1st, so I saved a sample and tried again going smooth and steady. The stalled version beat out the other two. Air roasters offer SO much freedom, it's kinda nuts... why stall? and when? why again? I'm of the opinion that you caramelize however much you want pre 390, and cut off acidity however much you want post 410. What happens pre 310 is fairly paramount to the final product. Other than that, not sure if stalling here or there is any different than just going slow, really... But I don't know for sure, yet.

The stall idea that I had came from a mistake that was very sweet. I think that narrowing down specifics maybe a bit futile, though fun. In the end something interesting might come of it.

I think that once you exceed a certain bean volume even in an air roaster, stalling a roast for a minute and gettting it restarted will become more complicated and likely inconsistent.
Sean Harrington
educate.

seedlings

endlesscycles wrote:
I used the following with excellent results:

200@1min
230@2
300@5
340@7
370@10
390(1st)@12
Finish@14:30-15

Excellent results with several coffees, or one in particular? This is close to my typical/standard roast only because it's what my roaster wants to do. I thought my time between 300 and 400 was too long (7~8 minutes), but maybe not.

coffeestones.com/roasts/profile13.png

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 03/31/2011 10:47 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

endlesscycles
One coffee. One that I expected would not work out, Ethiopia Wollega Leka Wato. I tried it at 13min, and 11min. Not sure why the 13 was flat and dusty..it had appeared to roast smooth no stalls...and mostly being the same as the 15min but holding 20/min steady past 340F. The 11 was crisp and clean but hollow compared to the depth of the 15, which was nice and crisp, too.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

seedlings
'Flat and Dusty' exactly describes my DP roasts...

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

farmroast

seedlings wrote:

CHAD

try speeding up your drying time. Keep your turn around point above 160f. A violent first crack can also exhaust needed moisture and create too many fractures leaving not enough juice to develop flavors.
Ed B.

endlesscycles
TURN AROUND POINT?!
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

JimH
Chad, I can't think of a good way to check this, but I do wonder how much weight loss you have had by the time you reach 400F. I think Ed has it right that you need a bit faster drying time.

I also noticed that you and Marshall both roasted much longer than I do, I usually try to finish under 12 minutes. Is that an effect of roasting larger loads or just personal preference?

Jim

Unta

farmroast wrote:

seedlings wrote:

CHAD

try speeding up your drying time. Keep your turn around point above 160f. A violent first crack can also exhaust needed moisture and create too many fractures leaving not enough juice to develop flavors.

When you say develop flavors, is there anything specific that your referring to. I'd love to hear more about your approach ed.

Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

endlesscycles
I used to roast for 10-11min exclusively till I figured out the fast start helped keep longer roasts from tasting dusty. With some trepidation I went to 13min. The trick is not stalling. Now I'm going 14:30-15:00. FYI: I could go to 400 in 4min, and stretch to 420 over 6 more min, if I wanted....

I'm getting incredible results all around with Intelli's profile.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

farmroast
Fluid beds roasters with strong convection tend to need to go faster up to the 300f BT point.
turn around point being after loading the beans, the point where the BT reading stops dropping and starts in the positive direction.
This is one way I determine batch size in relation to a safe charge temp. and the turn around.
Edited by farmroast on 03/31/2011 6:05 PM
Ed B.

JimH
Marshall, I definitely agree with your fast start approach on denser beans, so now I will try stretching my roasts a little. It will be a good test of my human PID skills. One question though, when I tried a fast start with a low grown Brazil, the ashiness was pretty severe. Have you had much success with softer beans?

Jim

farmroast

JimH wrote:
Marshall, I definitely agree with your fast start approach on denser beans, so now I will try stretching my roasts a little. It will be a good test of my human PID skills. One question though, when I tried a fast start with a low grown Brazil, the ashiness was pretty severe. Have you had much success with softer beans?

Jim

keep your drop temp. and ET lower and safe and cut your batch size if you must to avoid the ashiness
Ed B.

endlesscycles

farmroast wrote:
turn around point being after loading the beans, the point where the BT reading stops dropping and starts in the positive direction....

I'm calling that instrument error, no matter how oft repeated it is. "Turnaround point" only informs that bt probe is poorly placed.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

endlesscycles

JimH wrote:
... One question though, when I tried a fast start with a low grown Brazil, the ashiness was pretty severe. Have you had much success with softer beans?

Jim

I've never experienced Brazil ashiness in my roasts....maybe its exclusive to drums. I do see lots of sparks when going fast to 200, but the flavors are clear in the cup.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

allenb

endlesscycles wrote:

farmroast wrote:
turn around point being after loading the beans, the point where the BT reading stops dropping and starts in the positive direction....

I'm calling that instrument error, no matter how oft repeated it is. "Turnaround point" only informs that bt probe is poorly placed.

"Turnaround point" is inherent in all non fluidbed roasters that have a "drop in" ET higher than ambient no matter where the bean probe placement. Controlling turnaround point helps one determine if drop-in temp and initial power level is at the right spot.

I'm looking forward to trying this profile. I've never tried one with a big slowdown prior to 1C.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

endlesscycles

allenb wrote:
"Turnaround point" is inherent in all non fluidbed roasters that have a "drop in" ET higher than ambient no matter where the bean probe placement. Controlling turnaround point helps one determine if drop-in temp and initial power level is at the right spot.....

Turnaround point is 100% instrument error, no matter how you or anyone else uses it.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Ringo
I am going to explain my understanding of how turn around works. I believe it is a measure of how much energy is stored in the drum steel. I heat the steel to 280 degs, I drop he beans at around 65 degs. The beans start to suck up the heat, the skin heats to 280 deg almost instantly. The drum gives up heat to the beans, it goes to 270 deg. The beans skin drops to 270 deg, but inside the bean the heat in going up. My bean probe is only reading the skin so it shows the temp has dropped. When the inside of the bean gets close to the drum steel tempature it no longer steals heat, the drum starts heating back up and the bean temp starts going up. The old roaster I talked too called it stored energy, that logic has made my roast come out better. I try for a 180 deg turn around, if I turn at 160 I will be behind the profile the entire roast. If turnaround is 200 degs the roast will be like a run away train, very hard to slow it down to get a good profile. Does this sound like it could be right?
Edited by Ringo on 04/03/2011 9:37 PM
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

farmroast
yes, turnaround is a useful artifact of when the beans stop cooling the tc and then start it's rise. It will reflect charge temp. and batch size.More useful for roasters with at least some mass.
They will vary by tc, type, gauge and embed in beans but are consistent
Edited by farmroast on 04/03/2011 10:19 PM
Ed B.

Jump to Forum: