Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,788
Newest Member: ediblemanager

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Re-Wiring the Air Popper
scotchale
I have not tried this yet, but has anyone ever rewired the heating element with another switch on an air popper?

I would like to turn the heating element off, then let the blower continue to blow to quickly cool the beans...somewhat of a convenience feature.

I haven't look at the circuit, but I suspect the heating element may act as a resister/regulator for the voltage to the blower motor? Hopefully, this won't be the case, but I will not know until I "gut it" first and examine how its wired up.

Scotchale

greencardigan

scotchale wrote:
I suspect the heating element may act as a resister/regulator for the voltage to the blower motor? Hopefully, this won't be the case, but I will not know until I "gut it" first and examine how its wired up.

Most poppers are wired in this configuration.

There are lots of modified/rewired poppers around.

seedlings
Yes. I did the exact same thing in my first PII. Also helps to extend roast time because you can switch the heat on-off-on during the drying phase (don't switch it off once the beans reach about 300F, though). I believe, though, I only switched the main heat element and left the smaller 'voltage dropping' element that feeds the fan, so it doesn't cool quite as fast as you might think.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

johntruax
Here is a site I found to be helpful. You need to buy some stuff and do some surgery on the unit but is will split the fan from the heating elements completely. I went one step further and have a switch on the secondary (resistor?) element as well.

http://www.engadg...e-roaster/

John
Edited by seedlings on 04/15/2011 3:36 PM

seedlings
Nice. Do you have pictures of your popper setup and controls?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

bvwelch

johntruax wrote:
Here is a site I found to be helpful. You need to buy some stuff and do some surgery on the unit but is will split the fan from the heating elements completely. I went one step further and have a switch on the secondary (resistor?) element as well.

http://www.engadg...e-roaster/

John

Ah yes, that article was where I first stumbled onto homeroasting, and Wallgreens had some air poppers on sale for $7. Thanks for the reminder.

johntruax
Hi Chad...

I guess your talking to me about posting pictures of a setup? I'll go take some pics right now but how would I post them?? Also... my setup isn't pretty! It works though and gives me some control of the roasting process. When I first started I could go from green to Vienna in about 3 1/2 minutes. Now I can stretch the times out to 12 minutes or more.

Big difference in results. It may have been you who gave the tip of 4 - 4 - and 4 ... If so BIG Thanks from me. ( four minutes to 300 degrees, four minutes to 400 degrees, and four minutes to 440 degrees / or to finish.)

John

johntruax
Here's a test picture.
johntruax attached the following image:
img_2627_1_6_1.jpg

Edited by johntruax on 04/19/2011 3:57 PM

meshmasher
I too came across the engadget article and tried my hand at modding. Due to a wiring mishap i burned out my primary heating coil in my popper. Does anyone know what gauge/ohm/wattage of nichrome would be best to replace this with? i have found many articles on here talking about nichrome but non in regards to popcorn popper replacement wire.

Jump to Forum: