topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
11/24/2022 8:17 AM
Trick or... crack... er... Grin

allenb
11/24/2022 8:12 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all

renatoa
11/23/2022 3:28 AM
Birdman and dpineau coffee drink

allenb
11/21/2022 5:46 PM
lig76ct Welcome

Rich Saurman
11/21/2022 5:22 PM
Hi! New member starting with SR540. I am brand new and slowly getting better results with this roaster. I am interested in any roasting pointers.

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 9

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,717
Newest Member: dpineau

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 - Overview and announcements
Coffee makes the world goround
I have several roasters ( no I AM NOT ADICTED ;;;NO WAY :300ccCoffee.gif:BBQ grillsmiley-hot.gif:)

and most if not all can use 2 or more probes

When i once build a 500gram drum roaster
i going to need all 4 channels

temp outside drum
Temp inside drum
Temp in bean mass
temp in exhaust
 
georgel

Quote

JimG wrote:

This is to announce the availability of a new LCD option that was designed specifically for the TC4C standalone board.

The new adapter, the LCDapterC, is also fully compatible with the TC4 shields.

The new wrinkle on the LCDapterC is that it optionally can be mounted directly on the TC4C using 3 standoffs, making a nice unit for panel mounting inside a project box. The position of the I2C pins on the new LCDapterC matches the I2C header on the TC4C. So by mounting a 4 x 1 female socket on the LCDapterC, no cable is required to enable the use of a character LCD.

Photo below shows how the new LCDapterC (with a 16x2 LCD and some buttons already mounted) can be connected to the TC4C. When connected together, there are 4 accessible holes intended for panel mounting.

Jim


This seems to be what would work for me. altho I am a bit fuzzy as to which of the programs I might want to have preloaded. My best use would be with my Smoker and I may also figure a way to use some control + data logging on my modified Ronco coffee roaster. However I am not sure what and how to order. You mentioned roastlogger on your pm but I don't see it in the datalogger thread.
georgel
]
 
Barrie

Quote

JimG wrote:

Starting in early October, all of the TC4 pre-populated boards I've mailed out to people have been / will be pre-initialized with default identification and calibration values in the TC4's EEPROM. This will spare folks from needing to run the writeCal.pde sketch on their new SMD-populated boards.

I am also performing a small suite of tests on the temperature sensor, ADC, LED's, and output transistors on the SMD-populated boards before they are mailed. Fortunately, there haven't been any instances of bad chips on the SMD pre-populated boards reported to me, but this extra step should virtually eliminate the odds of that happening.

(I built a testing jig using a Freeduino board and a few pogo pins. PM me if you are interested in the details.)

Jim


With Jim away, I wonder if someone else can speak to the calibration issues? I installed the HTC/TC4 combo and, at first, used it just for logging with an inexpensive probe through the chute. This worked very well, with 1C usually at around 400. Flushed with success the next step was to go the whole nine yards with bean and environmental probes through the rear wall etc. The (upgraded) probes are Omega XCIB-K-3-5-3s. This works entirely as intended, with one exception. 1C now usually occurs at 370, according to the T1 probe! Everything else looks perfect, with the environmental and bean temp/time curves exactly as they should be, if one just ignores the numbers. I could live with this situation but for the fact that I went for top-of-the-line probes with an expectation of reliability and accuracy. I wonder about calibration at the pcb/software level but then remember that the previously-used el cheapo probe gave the "right" numbers. It is very unlikely that Omega sent out probes with faulty performance. Each is checked pre-shipping. Unfortunately they are now JB Welded to the rear wall and related sleeves.
Barrie attached the following image:
image_42.jpg

Edited by Barrie on 09/21/2013 7:33 PM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
JackH
I don't know much about the HotTop, but when I run my turbo roaster empty, BT and ET are usually about the same temperature once it warms up. Something to check.

Also, the 370 seems more like 1C to me. My 1C is usually around 370-380F. Maybe your old probe was inaccurate or the location it was mounted is different.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
 
allenb
Jack's recommendation to check one against the other with no beans is the best way to know if the omega bean probe is off.

It's interesting how finicky bean temp probes can be. On my 1 lb easydrum I've used two different locations not very far from each other and two totally different readings at 1C. 400 F at the first location which I'm used to seeing in my fluidbed roasters and the current location reads 387 at 1C. I guess the closer we can get to 380F for a bean temp at 1C the closer we are to the actual internal bean temperature.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
 
Barrie

Quote

JackH wrote:

I don't know much about the HotTop, but when I run my turbo roaster empty, BT and ET are usually about the same temperature once it warms up. Something to check.

Also, the 370 seems more like 1C to me. My 1C is usually around 370-380F. Maybe your old probe was inaccurate or the location it was mounted is different.


At ambient temperature, both read the same correct temp.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
Barrie

Quote

allenb wrote:

Jack's recommendation to check one against the other with no beans is the best way to know if the omega bean probe is off.

It's interesting how finicky bean temp probes can be. On my 1 lb easydrum I've used two different locations not very far from each other and two totally different readings at 1C. 400 F at the first location which I'm used to seeing in my fluidbed roasters and the current location reads 387 at 1C. I guess the closer we can get to 380F for a bean temp at 1C the closer we are to the actual internal bean temperature.

Allen


I would love to talk myself into the belief that what I have is a highly-accurate "correct" temperature. cross fingers
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
rgrosz78

Quote

Barrie wrote:With Jim away, I wonder if someone else can speak to the calibration issues? I installed the HTC/TC4 combo and, at first, used it just for logging with an inexpensive probe through the chute. This worked very well, with 1C usually at around 400. Flushed with success the next step was to go the whole nine yards with bean and environmental probes through the rear wall etc. The (upgraded) probes are Omega XCIB-K-3-5-3s. This works entirely as intended, with one exception. 1C now usually occurs at 370, according to the T1 probe! Everything else looks perfect, with the environmental and bean temp/time curves exactly as they should be, if one just ignores the numbers.

Barrie, sorry for the slow reply ... I recently installed ET/BT thermocouples in my Hottop using the exact same Omega hardware. I can confirm that my readings are similar to what you are seeing. My 1st crack typically occurs between 360 and 370, which is lower than results from other thermocouples used by other home roasters.
rgrosz78 attached the following image:
mexican_alturas_chiapas_2012_fto.png

Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!
 
Barrie
That is so good to know, and very reassuring. I have considerable confidence in the Omega brand but have been kicking myself that I did not at least try them in boiling water before installation complete with JB Weld. thumbdown

I am using Roast Logger which serves my purpose pretty well, but your chart looks very pretty. What software are you using?
Barrie attached the following image:
image_43.jpg

Edited by Barrie on 09/28/2013 10:38 AM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
rgrosz78
I use the Artisan Roaster Scope software, as discussed here:
http://homeroaste...owstart=60
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!
 
rgrosz78

Quote

Barrie wrote:
I am using Roast Logger which serves my purpose pretty well, but your chart looks very pretty. What software are you using?

Did you notice - it sounds like the latest version of Artisan now works with the Hottop roaster interface?

Quote

MaKoMo wrote:
- Event sliders e.g. to control the Hottop heater and fan via the TC4 / HT Roaster Interface

Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!
 
Barrie

Quote

rgrosz78 wrote:

Quote

Barrie wrote:
I am using Roast Logger which serves my purpose pretty well, but your chart looks very pretty. What software are you using?

Did you notice - it sounds like the latest version of Artisan now works with the Hottop roaster interface?

Quote

MaKoMo wrote:
- Event sliders e.g. to control the Hottop heater and fan via the TC4 / HT Roaster Interface

If this was directed to me, I did notice and am sorely tempted. Any hesitation is due to the concern that in the process of converting to Artisan I would lose the existing firmware. Then, if I could not make Artisan work, i would be left with neither. thumbdown
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
MaKoMo
Barrie, at any time you can return to the RoastLogger firmware by just another firmware update. That firmware is also available for download. Nothing to loose.
 
Barrie

Quote

MaKoMo wrote:

Barrie, at any time you can return to the RoastLogger firmware by just another firmware update. That firmware is also available for download. Nothing to loose.


Tempting! Perhaps you can answer a simple question? I have just spent time reading the Artisan Installation information and am very impressed with that website and related blogs. The question is this....
The TC4C works with either RoastLogger or Artisan. Either of the latter is software living on ones computer. By some electronic magic that is above my pay scale, the TC4C interacts with the software and uses the HTC board to make changes in the HT. What happens to the RoastLogger-related firmware that is apparently installed in the TC4C when one talks to it with Artisan?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
MaKoMo
The TC4C is essentially an Arduino micro controller (kind of a small PC without keyboard, mouse, display..). On that a firmware (kind of a software program) is running that receives and sends (among others) commands via the serial connection to the PC. On the PC is either Artisan or Roastlogger running. Both programs talk a slightly different language (serial protocol). To make thinks work, using the Artisan software on the PC one needs to ensure that the Arduino/TC4 is running the aArtisan sketch/firmware. For RoastLogger there is a different sketch that talks its language. One difference between a micro controller and a PC is that on the micro controller there is not enough memory to host two firmwares/programs/sketches. Therefore, if you install the aArtisan sketch, the RoastLogger sketch is overwritten. To turn back to RoastLogger, just upload the RoastLogger sketch to the TC4, and the aArtisan sketch get's overwritten. The important thing is that on both ends there are programs talking the same serial protocol/language to make the communication work.
 
Barrie

Quote

MaKoMo wrote:

The TC4C is essentially an Arduino micro controller (kind of a small PC without keyboard, mouse, display..). On that a firmware (kind of a software program) is running that receives and sends (among others) commands via the serial connection to the PC. On the PC is either Artisan or Roastlogger running. Both programs talk a slightly different language (serial protocol). To make thinks work, using the Artisan software on the PC one needs to ensure that the Arduino/TC4 is running the aArtisan sketch/firmware. For RoastLogger there is a different sketch that talks its language. One difference between a micro controller and a PC is that on the micro controller there is not enough memory to host two firmwares/programs/sketches. Therefore, if you install the aArtisan sketch, the RoastLogger sketch is overwritten. To turn back to RoastLogger, just upload the RoastLogger sketch to the TC4, and the aArtisan sketch get's overwritten. The important thing is that on both ends there are programs talking the same serial protocol/language to make the communication work.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Very clear now.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
JimG
TC4 Shield Version 6.00

The design of the TC4 shield has been updated for compatibility with a wider range of Arduino boards. The new design maintains backwards compatibility with Duemilanove, Diecimila, and pre-R3 Uno boards. But beginning with this new version 6.00, the shields are fully header-compatible with Uno R3, Leonardo, Yun, and Mega's.

Details available here:
http://www.mlgp-l...TC4-v6.pdf

Jim
 
greencardigan
Excellent work Jim. Thank you for your continued work on this board. We all appreciate it.
 
JimG
Thanks, Brad.

Let me take this opportunity to acknowledge the huge contributions you have made on the software side! That is also much appreciated.

Jim
 
MaKoMo
Apropos software: will we see anytime soon the discussed extension to the aArtisan v3.00 sketch that submits also the extended data like calculated heater% to Artisan?

Thanks both of you for what you did for us all,
Marko
 
JimG
New aArtisan firmware available for download
A beta version of aArtisan 3.10 is now available for download from the project googlecode site here:
https://code.goog...c4-shield/

This beta release of the aArtisan sketch supports the PID control features that Marko has added to Artisan, as well as adding the ability to alter digital filtering at runtime.

I have been sitting on this for a bit, primarily due to a lack of adequate time to fully test the new features during actual roasts. So I am requesting users of Artisan and TC4 boards to give this a try and provide feedback. (FWIW, to my knowledge the new features are working correctly.)

New RoastLoggerTC4 firmware available for download
Version 3.10 of RoastLoggerTC4.ino is released and can be downloaded from the project googlecode site here:
https://code.goog...c4-shield/

This new release provides "bumpless" runtime changes to the preferred temperature units, C or F.

Jim
 
egon
I have been planning on upgrading my roasting methods and equipment. I've looked at both artisan and roastlogger, and am leaning towards Artisan, a Hottop, and the HTC+TC4C, although I'm still fuzzy on the various models and combinations, as well as what probes to use.

If building around at least a TC4C, what's the recommended set of options?
 
Primo Crepa
Wow! You guys are doing some great stuff here. For the past few years I?ve been working along similar lines. If I?d have known about the TC4 sooner I might have saved myself a lot of work.

Some time back I built a multi-thermocouple data logger to record inlet air temp, bean mass temp, exit air temp, ambient temp and humidity all logging to an SD card.

I use the SD card for permanent recording and playback along with a real-time LCD display for monitoring the actual roast.

My original goal was to log roast profiles in a commercial sized fluid bed roaster to both increase roast repeatability as well as to better scale things down to a sample size roaster for individual bean profiling and new roast development.

Just this weekend I was doing some research in anticipation of adding air flow and pressure sensing into the mix along with possibly moving to the MAX31850 Thermocouple-to-Digital converter chips for their 1-wire capability. While digging around the web looking at sensors I ran across the TC4 which led me right back to here where I?ve lurked for some time.

Now, I?m thinking I need to spend more time reading the forums to see what other gems I might find.

Keep up the awesome work!
Primo Crepa attached the following image:
logger.jpg
 
JimG

Quote

egon wrote:If building around at least a TC4C, what's the recommended set of options?


Hi, egon -

I am anxious to assist you, but I think I need a little more clarity regarding what you are asking?

In general, if you wish to monitor and log BT and ET on any roaster, you will need at least 2 thermocouples. Type K are preferred, but type J is supported as well. An enclosure for the electronics is nice, too.

You will also need software on the PC side of the USB cable. RoastLogger and Artisan are both excellent choices.

The preceding items would be enough to get up and running with most roasters.

If you wish to take the next step and add the ability to control your roaster, then additional hardware is required. For Hottop roasters, the HTRI boards are available (HTC board fits the TC4C board, while HTShield fits the TC4 shield).

Jim
 
JimG

Quote

Primo Crepa wrote:
Just this weekend I was doing some research in anticipation of adding air flow and pressure sensing into the mix along with possibly moving to the MAX31850 Thermocouple-to-Digital converter chips for their 1-wire capability. While digging around the web looking at sensors I ran across the TC4 which led me right back to here where I?ve lurked for some time.


I like the idea of incorporating the SD card. That is a nice feature!

Before settling on Bill's design for the TC4 system, I evaluated one of the MAX chips. I did not favor that option, however, because the ambient (cold junction) temperature sensor and the ADC are combined into a single package. There was a significant self-heating problem present on the sample I tested. This introduced a significant error into the final readings.

Bill's design separates the ambient temperature sensor from the ADC. This both eliminates any self heating issues related to the ADC part of the chip, as well as permitting the placement of the ambient sensor more closely to the cold junction of the TC wires.

Jim
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
An overview of roasting stages Roasting Chemistry 13 03/10/2016 1:55 PM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion Copyright © 2022 PHP-Fusion Inc
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3
Designed with by NetriX
Hosted by skpacman