Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,178
Newest Member: Frisky turkey

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Green Bean Storage
zzzippy
I am having no luck keeping green beans here in Texas for any length of time. Due to dry conditions (extreme drought) outside and my rental place has no humidifier (yes I need to get one) my beans are quickly losing weight and oils (green) and when roasted are pathetically bad. Does not matter how the beans are stored (I have tried vac sealing, cloth bags, leaving them in the bag they were shipped etc).
ginny
hey zip:

welcome by the way!

how many lbs of beans do you need to sore? walmart 20 dollar humidifier in a cabinet or why not freeze the beans and take them out a day before or a few hours before roasting (cut open bag.)

ginny
Edited by ginny on 09/04/2011 4:38 PM
zzzippy
Thanks for the reply and the welcome, it is good to be here!

What is a "bacinet"?

I currently have around 40-50 pounds of greens that mostly are now all garbage. My freezer is full of food and so not an option. I think freezing coffee beans - green or otherwise is just a bad idea but YMMV.
JackH
Ed (Farmroast) stores his green coffee in glass wide mouth canning jars and vacuum seals with a foodsaver. He does not freeze but stores the jars in an old freezer that no longer works which provides a stable environment.

After reading about that I do the same and store my jars in a small refrigerator in my cellar that is not running. It is working very well.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
zzzippy
Thanks for the tips JHan, unfortunately in Texas we do not have cellars :( I think if I get the indoor humidity fixed when I can afford to I will try again. I really just wanted to warn others that the lack of humidity can be bad for beans just as too much is as well.
ginny
hey zip:

I meant cabinet. sorry about that.

I am sur you will get lots of great ideas.

ginnyGrin
JackH

zzzippy wrote:
Thanks for the tips JHan, unfortunately in Texas we do not have cellars :( I think if I get the indoor humidity fixed when I can afford to I will try again. I really just wanted to warn others that the lack of humidity can be bad for beans just as too much is as well.

Sorry Zip, I could not tell where you were from. I guess the concern is for longer term storage of larger quantities.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
farmroast

JHan816 wrote:
Ed (Farmroast) stores his green coffee in glass wide mouth canning jars and vacuum seals with a foodsaver. He does not freeze but stores the jars in an old freezer that no longer works which provides a stable environment.

After reading about that I do the same and store my jars in a small refrigerator in my cellar that is not running. It is working very well.

The vac. jars have been working well. If the storage area is vulnerable to daily temp. swings you can also store the jars in foam coolers or anything air tightish and insulated. If temp is pretty stable then the jars can go in any box/cabinet
My theory has been that glass makes for a better long term moderate vac. environment than plastic. There is a balance of natural seed protection and beneficial microbial life that might be disturbed by slight amounts of plastic exhaustion over time, speeding up breakdown .
Edited by farmroast on 09/04/2011 7:48 PM
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/
zzzippy
ginny: thanks for clearing that up!
JHan: thats ok, I used to live up north, miss my cellar for storage of beans!
Ed: thanks for the info, I only have a plastic bag vac sealer and I am not sure if my model offers a jar sealer attachment. My problem is not temp swings just zero humidity. The entire summer it has been so bad that when I take dry clothes out of the dryer or touch a metal lightswitch I get zapped just like up north in winter. Thanks for all the help everyone! Now if Texas could only get some rain...
atalanta
I've been storing my beans in the burlap bag they came in. Must be doing something right because the coffee still roasts up pretty well (awesomely according to my BF). Though from reading other posts, they may need a longer rest after roasting because of their age.

I also have a vacuumed brick of green kona my friend brought back from her trip to Hawaii.
Jump to Forum: