Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

10/12/2021 11:55 AM
Evan Slack and CupOfJoe, Welcome !

10/07/2021 3:24 AM
Larry140, Roastiva and fkrauthan, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 18

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,360
Newest Member: maycondelpiero

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Japan has tinkerers also
Ringo
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMNuq-P3w6M&feature=related[/video]
Just looking at stuff on youtube last night, I got onto the Japanese youtube site somehow. If you dig around you will see some great homebuilds. I can not understand what they are saying but I understand the machinery. I forgot how to embed vidio sorry.
Edited by seedlings on 06/03/2011 7:22 AM
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain
seedlings
I wonder if he's talking about BTUs, heat transfer, stretching the roast, and profiling?

Great video!

(to imbed, click the forum.homeroasters.org/includes/bbcodes/images/video.png icon.)

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 06/03/2011 7:29 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
Ringo
I think he is saying he hopes his wife does not see his coffee come in he just bought because she thinks he has too much. And how he thinks he could put a PID on the roaster, profile logging. If 300 grams work, 3000 will work when I build a big one.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain
JETROASTER
In his world....I think it's still a very male dominated culture.
I think she fully complies with all that his obsession demands! He worries not! He rules his roasting world!!!Furthermore...I think she's holding the camera.
.....In his world :) -Scott
Edited by JETROASTER on 06/03/2011 8:22 AM
seedlings
Why don't we build square drums without vanes?

CHAD
allenb

seedlings wrote:
Why don't we build square drums without vanes?

CHAD

Not a bad idea but wouldn't it be hard to get one to dump through a front door? Beans would get crunched in between the straight sides and the front plate mouth opening I would think.

Scott, the male dominated culture in Japan is a myth. The women allow the illusion to prevail but they are very well in control at home. She was directing and producing the film while he maintains the customary gruff, no-nonsense tool-time guy.

Edit: To be honest, this is only a theory of mine after seeing some Japanese couples visiting here. The men and women seemed to be balanced as to who called the shots so calling it a myth is without actual proof.B)

Allen
Edited by allenb on 06/03/2011 12:11 PM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
John Despres
First he's mostly talking about his neighbor who brews beer.

Second, we don't use square drums because if the inefficient use of space. I think there's a thred here where a DIY guy is designing to a square drum.

Third, that's one heck of a first crack!

Fourth, no comments on reaching first crack in 5:17?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
JETROASTER
Is it reasonable to assume that a shorter time to 1st C produces a stronger 1st C ? Moisture retention = greater expansion?

My experience with coffee in Japan was roughly 20 years ago. (Sasebo and Atsugi, with a bit of Tokyo)
My feeling at the time was that they were years ahead of the states. Coffee/Jazz bars, spinning American Jazz vinyl, vacuum pots, espresso, drip. It was a big part of my addiction.
Thanks for the vid... I bet there's more where that came from! -Scott
John Despres

freshbeans wrote:
Is it reasonable to assume that a shorter time to 1st C produces a stronger 1st C ? Moisture retention = greater expansion?

-Scott

Hmmm... Interesting thought, Scott. Got me thinking here.

In addition to your thought, I wonder if the faster times to first are related to the louder, more spectacular first because the beans may yet be harder than they might be with a longer, slower profile...

If the beans are harder, than the individual cracks would be louder, right? Dunno... Softer beans would crack quieter?

Rolling first crack = a slightly faster ramp up?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
seedlings
I do think that a faster ramp to first crack, especially the first few minutes will increase the intensity of first. The flip side is a very slow initial phase will sometimes dry out the beans so much there is no first crack.

CHAD
endlesscycles
I understand faster time to first does result in a stronger crack, greater bean expansion, and resulting increase of body in the cup.

I've taken to 12min to 390F, at which temp a faint crackling sound begins, then 3min to final temp.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
Jump to Forum: