Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Large Roaster Competition Question
gene
Yeah, I know I'm a homeroaster but theres stuff going on out there I'm curious about as are we all. For instance, when it comes to processing beans on different farms there's a great article in most recent issue of Roast Magazine re natural versus wet processing that can be accessed online.

I'm suddenly studying up on the beans that I roast and how they were processed and trying to figure out how they taste in the cup. Before I was a strict Sweet Maria's fan and didn't pay any attention to Tom's notes on how they were processed.

My friend Ollie at Zazzy Z's(Where I'm getting a lot of greens recently at great prices) has entered Roast Magazine's competition in the under 100,000 pound category. I would like to track this online but can't get past RoastMagazine.com sign in protocol.

Anyone have any ideas?

Random thoughts. In quest to become a better home roaster Ollie has agreed to cup some of my roasts and compare them to the exact same bean he roasts commercially. In fact he wants me to sit in with him as we compare.

I'm excited to get this opportunity. One can only hope to be excited afterward! Ha

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
gene

Dan
The side-by-side cupping with an expert sounds like a great opportunity!

I believe Sweet Marias archives their cupping notes, so you should be able to find those to compare to.

danw2002
i would love to get the chance to do that, very nice that you are going to get to. that to me is what i need to really get to the next level, i need to learn what i am tasting and why....surly you would think i could find something or some one in the Seattle area that i could learn from..oh well.....let us know how it goes....
Dan Williams...WHAAAT!?!?!? I have NOT had enough coffee.....

John Despres
Hi, Gene.

First off, since you have a subscription to Roast Magazine, I think you should be able to log in with no problem. RM is a great publication. There's always something to learn in every issue. It's very commercial-roaster oriented, but I enjoy every issue.

Second, your coming cupping comparison sounds like a lot of fun! Let us know how it goes, please.

Have fun!

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Koffee Kosmo
I have been very fortunate to have had a similar offer from a commercial roaster when testing the KKTO
It helped me design a great roaster and roasting method

The information you will emerge with will instill in you a better understanding of all things coffee

Just remember different roast profiles for different brewing methods is the next step
Education never actually ends B)

Good luck with it and report back frequently
KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Jump to Forum: