Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Jetroaster
JETROASTER
I had been somewhat close to the chest with this in the past. My realization has been;
1) If I actually had the will, I would have pursued the patent process nearly 10 years ago.
2) These days...for the 'little guy' , it seems collaboration has more value than isolation.(thanks HRO)

One day, you just wake up with an idea...through some process of cranial osmosis...there it is.
So you start trying things. Once your hair grows back, you keep trying. Eventually, you make it work.

Afterwards, I started digging around to see if this had been done before. Maybe it has been done, but I haven't found it yet.

Now open for discussion. The Jetroaster. -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
jtburn.jpg
DavidG
Tell us MORE!!

europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)
Unta
:smileycoffee:
Sean Harrington
educate.
JETROASTER
This provides a pretty good view of what's happening inside. Substitute the swirl zone with a premix fuel port in that same area. -Scott
combstr.jpg
Dan
Definitely cool looking. Is the "Flame Tube" also the roasting chamber, or does that sit on top of the "Sealing Ring" exhaust? Does this need a blower to make it work or does fuel combustion provide the needed airflow?
JETROASTER
Thanks! The RC sits on to of the sealing ring, which is in my case, is a 2" threaded coupler.
The flame tube is just that...a chamber for the combustion.
Yes, must have a blower. The seemingly oversize Ametek blower takes the place of the compressor section of a turbine engine.
This is by no means a jet engine. It is merely a jet combustion chamber...twisted into a new job.
-Scott
Unta
size?

Sean Harrington
educate.
JETROASTER
Size? I'm going to assume you mean the size of the roaster.
That is my everyday 5lb roaster. It's roughly 9 years old...Jetroaster from the get go... albeit a bit crude.
The next generation is shaping up more like this; -Scott
jetproto.jpg

Edited by JETROASTER on 10/03/2011 3:01 PM
dja
then look like ashtrays turned upside downThumbsUp
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
JETROASTER
Ha! Hi David. ...Re-purposed coffee carafes...seemed fitting.
The lowest section is actually the blower. A Miele motor from the late '90's. -Scott
ginny
Scottie, you know how much I love you? Send it along to me for a first, real test in the high desert!~!

ginny
way, way cool...
you do rock Scott...
allenb
Wow, this rates up there with the flux capacitor!

A couple of questions:

- Does it have much of a range (low fire-hi fire)
- How do you achieve ignition?
- Is it easy to tell if you get a flame out, audibly?

Very cool burner.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
dja
Scott, you are a true art deco fan at heart.

That picture is an A10 engine pod right!Roflmao

now you have me wondering will this work in the belly of the monster that I call a coffee roaster, of course it would probably make it a foot taller.

NO I'm not going to change my roaster that last year long trip into roaster mania was enough. But it does like to roast beans
dja
Scott,
lets see if I got this right, we get a big old turbo off of a peterbuilt or some such turck stick it on the bottom take some of the exhaust to spin it up with and turn on the gas, and apply a spark you just might have your own self sustained roaster with no need for a connection to the power grid.
JETROASTER
Thanks Allen,
- It seems to have good turn-down, but I really don't know the BTU's. Fuel is delivered to the can as a premix, vs. the 'swirl' method, I think that helps alot at really low settings.
- Ignition is a push piezo (standard grill variety). The ignitor tip is located about 1/4" below the base of the flame.
- The combustion is pretty loud. I've never 'flamed-out', but on shutdown you really hear the difference through the whole system....Upon ignition, I've never had a spectator that didn't jump back.

David, I think you're almost due for another trip into roaster mania !! I don't think this would require any more space than you already use. The MH-1 was originally going together as a jet.
I went with electric because it seemed a bit more approachable....but I only subbed out the combustion liner/fuel manifold, for a heat liner/element.

On the turbo thing; A turbo is nice, in that it helps 'feed' the compression. However, it won't replace a compressor section, anymore than it could replace the pistons in the diesel.
....They only assist.

So, let me know when you're ready to build.....Ginny has volunteered as a test pilot! Grin -Scott
Edited by JETROASTER on 09/17/2011 8:50 AM
allenb
A couple more questions,

Is the loud sound emanating through the walls of the burner assembly or transmitting up through the RC section? Curious to know if the racket could be reduced for anyone contemplating trying to use this style of burner.

I'm having trouble understanding if the photo in your first post above is showing your burner with blower or only a part of the burner/blower assembly?

Good to hear it has a wide range of output.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
JETROASTER
Hi Allen,
The first post photo is the combustion chamber of my 9 yr old roaster.

The noise is all high freq . Once the exhaust is hooked up ...it's mostly gone.
-Scott
....the whole assy ....
firstshot_sm_copy_2.jpg

Edited by JETROASTER on 09/18/2011 10:53 AM
allenb
So it appears the burner noise is transmitted up through the RC.

Is the blower upstream of the fuel/air mixing chamber?

It'd be great if you could post a list of the reference numbers with part description. I think you posted this a while back but I'm having trouble finding it.

Allen
JETROASTER
Allen, ...the original post; http://forum.home...ad_id=1763

The blower is at the beginning of the stream. It's not visible as it is on the other side of a wall.
That old 'skeletal' looking roaster won't have any part#. It's all crafted from black iron fittings/pipe.
As I start a little rebuild, I'll lay-out the naughty bits. The casing and liner will be replaced.
The other photo (post#8) is in progress. It will be made primarily of vessels, vs. the pipe concept.
.....You ready to tackle that bubble-bed?
-Scott
allenb

freshbeans wrote:
Allen, ...the original post; http://forum.home...ad_id=1763

The blower is at the beginning of the stream. It's not visible as it is on the other side of a wall.
That old 'skeletal' looking roaster won't have any part#. It's all crafted from black iron fittings/pipe.
As I start a little rebuild, I'll lay-out the naughty bits. The casing and liner will be replaced.
The other photo (post#8) is in progress. It will be made primarily of vessels, vs. the pipe concept.
.....You ready to tackle that bubble-bed?
-Scott

Now it's clear. Thanks for the extra details. I can usually figure these things out pretty quick but I must admit that you have come up with some unique design concepts that had me stumped. I now have a lot more respect for what you've accomplished with this design. Brilliant design for the heating side of this roaster!

As far as starting a bubblebed, I'll jump in as soon as I decide on a burner design. I'd still like to go for the dual solenoid/regulator feeding a single torch burner controlled by PID but now that I've seen your ram jet burner I'm not sure which way to go. I think to try and do something like you have will require too much R&D versus the dual pressure torch burner.

Decisions decisions.

Allen
Jump to Forum: