Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

09/28/2020 9:48 AM
Working on site improvements, bare with me. smoking

09/28/2020 8:58 AM
Where are the old themes ?!!! Shock

09/28/2020 12:46 AM
Made some changes, shoutbox was working without verification.

09/27/2020 2:53 PM
A lot of shoutbox spam attacks lately. roar

08/28/2020 7:15 PM
I have updated my signature and added links to the KKTO roaster build

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,750
Newest Member: MdMinar
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Clothes Dryer Roaster
Dannyboy
Hello everybody! First post! Whoo!

I had a project in mind to convert a clothes dryer into a drum roaster.

I've done some roasting on an air popper that I got for Christmas, so I've got some experience roasting in general, but I'm a little new to drum roasting.

The inspiration for the project comes from this site:
http://www.home-barista.com/home-roas...t3718.html

My main question would be, how would I juice it up to make it hot enough to roast nicely?
Also, I'm thinking I'd have to get it to run a cooling cycle internally, as dumping the beans would be a bit of a problem, I'm thinking?
Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!
JETROASTER
Well...that is some roaster. I'm gonna go out on a limb that the H B post might be purely for humor. I say this because the plastic paddles in the dryer seem to be in very good shape for a +400dg roast. I really like the 'dial-a-roast' feature.
That's not to say you shouldn't build yourself a nice machine....maybe not so large.:)
Welcome aboard....post away ! -Scott
Dan
A stainless steel dryer (or washer) drum would make a good start for a large home roaster, perhaps as large as 10#. But other than the drum, and perhaps the housing, there' not much else you can use.
Dannyboy
I hadn't thought of the platic paddles...Dang. But if it were that easy, everyone would be doing it, I guess.

Also, thanks Dan! I still do think that this is a "good start" type of idea...I'm going to think about how I can get to the next stage, maybe come up with a design that uses a drum, and maybe housing, and see what comes out of it...

JETROASTER
It's clear you've got the bug. Looking forward to your ideas! -Scott
seedlings
Find one of those compact apartment dryers, give it more heat, some industrial insulation and let her rip!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
jkoll42
At least it would be easy to vent the smoke, and it does have a built in chaff collector :)
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
Romeo Hearst
Check out the posting date on the Home Barista page Grin
Unta
Aren't most dryers belt drive? The one I took apart had a big belt around the middle of it. Might be a problem with a lot of heat.
Other than that, I think that it's a great idea.

Sean
Edited by Unta on 09/29/2011 9:01 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.
jkoll42
Yes, most are belt drive except for the higher end new ones that are direct drive.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
Jump to Forum: