Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Homeroast Convention?
Hoomin Bean
I'm a roaster for customers in central and southeastern PA. I'm in the process of moving my roaster from it's current location near Lancaster to Stoudt's in Adamstown, a micro-brewery, restaurant, antique mall, bakery and creamery, soon to be a coffee roastery too. [url] http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/[/url] Click on 'bread' - you'll see the Wonderful Good Market, where I'm doing my build out.

I also learned my first half ton of information about roasting on this site, a few years ago. A couple years ago this Stoudt move almost happened, and I posted here about creating a homeroast store, by which I also meant a gathering place on occasional Sunday afternoons. Then I pursued a different opportunity, and dropped from sight, as far as this forum goes.

Stoudt's has a long history of microbrewery fests, has acres of parking, and generally, as a facility, is always ready to party, whether polka in the Beer Garden, or jazz on Saturday night.

I keep thinking how much fun it would be to host a one or two day Homeroasters Convention. There is plenty of space, and I'd bet a fasnacht that it wouldn't be too hard to get reps from some of the machine manufacturers and greens suppliers to show up if interest amounted to something. There could be technical discussions too, hosted by experienced homeroasters. Demos. I'd bet another fasnacht that a recognizable name could be attracted. Maybe a couple.

I'm really busy - 5 years into bootstrapping my roasting business, and its still a 24/7 effort, though this is the year I picked up an angel investor. I could advise, moderate, encourage, and suggest, but I could not put a function like this together. I could be the host, though.

Anybody catching fire? Hollah at me, yo.

jkoll42
Coffee, brewery and less the 1.5 hours away.... I would be in.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Dan
A great idea!

JimG
I'd show up just to find out what a fasnacht is Grin

Jim

yamhill
Maybe we could have regional versions - or move the location around.

jkoll42

JimG wrote:
I'd show up just to find out what a fasnacht is Grin

Jim

Think of a more fattening, sweeter, denser version of a doughnut. I like to call em fatbynacht :)
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

David
I love it!
:BigHug:

Hoomin Bean
anyone have some programming ideas?

seedlings

Hoomin Bean wrote:
anyone have some programming ideas?

Hmmm... roast lots of coffee on every roaster at the party, then drink it while talking about it.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Dan
What I think would be cool is to have HR member presentations. After all, we are all boot-strapping each other on this forum. Why not more of the same but in person?

Ask members who are participating to give a little presentation about something they know a lot about, such as: espresso fine-tuning, latte art, data logging, Arduino programming, or demonstrating a specific roasting technique like a direct-flame roaster (gee, I wonder who could do that!).

Unta
Im in , a great Idea!
Sean Harrington
educate.

jkoll42
Good idea about member presentations. It would be cool to webcast them or at least throw up the videos for those who would not be able to make it.

I can do a demonstration of sitting on a couch and drinking coffee
-Jon

JimG

jkoll42 wrote:I can do a demonstration of sitting on a couch and drinking coffee

Dang! I guess I'm left with my second choice.

I'll volunteer to judge the "best tasting fasnacht" competition (now that I know what they are).

Jim

Hoomin Bean
woot! y'all feelin' me. There are large pavillions which are flea market/farm market type, and I could see 50 crankin' roasters there, per Chad. That ought to get the local Patch out. Member presentations, roundtable discussions. Consider connections in the homeroast industry - Behmoor, Gene, others would likely send reps. Consider your Coffee Kids connection. Put the program together first, then ask Sweet Maria's to send someone for a greens workshop. Your other connections? You know them much better than me. Ed

Hoomin Bean
Ok, I propose, for the moment, to be the Secretary of the venture, in that I will send some inquiries out to manufacturer's, or others, as above. It's a fit with being the host facility.

Is anyone who showed interest above willing to be in a discussion as a member of an informal, low-commitment steering group? In other words, keep posting right here until enough people have self-selected as holders of designated functions.

How about a one day event at Stoudt's in the early spring? If we "build it" here, it will be a model for anyone to do it in their own region.

JimG

Hoomin Bean wrote:How about a one day event at Stoudt's in the early spring?

I'd love to combine this with a fly fishing trip, so spring sounds great to me. Been meaning to fish the streams in this area for a long time, and this would provide a good excuse ;)

Jim

jkoll42
Early spring is fine for me. Would we be talking weekend or weekday? If I can be of help let me know. I don't have tons of extra time but could always spare some for the group.

Jon
-Jon

Jump to Forum: