topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

05/08/2021 6:42 PM
Quidgybo Welcome! beach

05/08/2021 8:02 AM
Welcome, wcdyson !

05/02/2021 3:05 PM
Welcome espresoman

04/30/2021 2:53 PM
welcome to forum firroaster

04/27/2021 2:27 AM
JA Casey Welcome !

Community Spotlight
Brainiac
Join Date:July 27, 2007
Location:New Zealand
Posts Count:89
Rank:1/4 Pounder

Halogen Radiant Roaster
Hybrid Air Roaster
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 14

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,176
Newest Member: Adrian

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Beans I Ordered are Tainted with an Odor??
smatty1
I just got an order from Burman. I have ordered from them many times and like them very much and this is the first such incident from them or any vendor. This particular shipment had 5 lbs. 1lb of different coffee each. They all had a smell that was not organic and I could not smell the charicteristics of the beans at all. I cant place the smell. Maybe a chemical associated with the manufacture of plastic?? Hard to say. I am worried this has ruined the beans. I sent them an email about it, but I wanted to get feedback on here. Anyone have any experience with this?
Indiana Randy
I have ordered from Burmans often. Never had a problem. Seems like you won't really know if the beans are tainted until you roast them, right?
smatty1

Quote

Indiana Randy wrote:
I have ordered from Burmans often. Never had a problem. Seems like you won't really know if the beans are tainted until you roast them, right?

I dont know. I'm a little spooked because I read a article from sweetmarias where they got a foul smelling shipment of beans tainted from the shipping crate's paint fumes. They would not sell them.
Indiana Randy
In that case, I'd simply ask for a replacement order.
seedlings

Quote

Indiana Randy wrote:
In that case, I'd simply ask for a replacement order.


I agree. Does it seem like they are packaged in the same large zip top bags Burman normally uses - do you think they have a new vendor of plastic bag? Seems like if the problem persists throughout several different origins, packaging would be the only common thread.

I bought some disposable coffee cups at Sams some time ago and I can't use them unless I wash it out first because of the awful rubbery-plastic odor.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
John Despres
No word from them yet?

Today, I'm enjoying a cup of Guatemala Oriente DP, stored in vac-seal plastic for a year. Whutta cup! Roasted to the first kiss of second crack. Fruity, rich with a wonderful cocoa aftertaste. This is my son's favorite. And very high on my list as well.

That said, the plastic could be a culprit, but other shipping possibilities may affect the flavor as well. Try moving the beans to another container for a day or two (keep the original bag) and see if the odd odor remains in the beans and see if the empty bags still smells off.

John
Edited by John Despres on 10/05/2011 10:04 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
smatty1

Quote

John Despres wrote:
No word from them yet?

Today, I'm enjoying a cup of Guatemala Oriente DP, stored in vac-seal plastic for a year. Whutta cup! Roasted to the first kiss of second crack. Fruity, rich with a wonderful cocoa aftertaste. This is my son's favorite. And very high on my list as well.

That said, the plastic could be a culprit, but other shipping possibilities may affect the flavor as well. Try moving the beans to another container for a day or two (keep the original bag) and see if the odd odor remains in the beans and see if the empty bags still smells off.

John

I just talked to Garry,
He said all the coffee there smells and tastes good so maybe sometghing happened in shipment. He said to let em breathe for a day or two and if they are still bad he'll stand by what he sent me.

Side note: I just shipped my Gene Cafe back to Tim and will hopefully be getting a replacement machine soon, but I"m cast iron roasting in the meantime, so I dont want to roast these beans until I'm back in action with my familiar roast method.

BTW, John....I'm commin to your house for some of that Oriente!!
I've been praying we see some more of that but it's been far too long!:(
I dont suppose you wanna come off any of that? :)
JackH
The bad shipment that Sweet Maria's received looked very nasty too.
Edited by JackH on 10/05/2011 3:11 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
yantacaw
just curious, since i order from burman all of the time, what beans are you running into trouble with? there's a chance i have them and can check on my end for some funkiness.

i probably should mention that i usually take my beans and immediately move them to large euro canning jars a la fido bormioli, etc. these are what i keep my roasted coffee in as well. it's not terribly space efficient compared with the poly bags but i'm just a little weird about plastic and consummables plus there's that risk of spillage if not sealed just so.
smatty1

Quote

yantacaw wrote:
just curious, since i order from burman all of the time, what beans are you running into trouble with? there's a chance i have them and can check on my end for some funkiness.

i probably should mention that i usually take my beans and immediately move them to large euro canning jars a la fido bormioli, etc. these are what i keep my roasted coffee in as well. it's not terribly space efficient compared with the poly bags but i'm just a little weird about plastic and consummables plus there's that risk of spillage if not sealed just so.


They seem to be normalizing now. I think they may have absorbed some smell in transit and seem to be fine now. The beans were these:
El Salvador El Carrizal
Ethiopian Natural Yirgacheffe Chelektu
Guatemala Antigua Soledad
2011 Hawaiian Maui Mokka
Indonesian Balinese Kintamani Natural
Java Borobudur Washed Robusta
yantacaw
i have 3 of the 6 you list and no noticeable funk...and those weren't yet transferred to jars. glad to hear they're 'normalizing'. i din't pick up any of the new batch of kintamani as i still have a nice amount from last season. that one DOES have a fairly unique green bean smell if memory serves me right.
farmroast
It's handy to have a small blacklight to check for any organic growth on the surface of the beans.
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
My first drum roaster: where should the beans fall out, bottom or front? Drum Roasters 3 12/26/2020 8:51 AM
Coaxing berry flavors from Ethiopian beans? Behmor 1600 4 12/12/2020 8:57 PM
galapagos island beans Green Coffee 1 11/26/2020 7:46 PM
Beans Discharge Solution Fluidbed Roaster 7 11/03/2020 12:12 AM
Aging green beans Green Coffee 15 06/02/2020 11:15 AM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion Copyright © 2021 PHP-Fusion Inc
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3
Designed with by NetriX