Total Members: 7,788
Newest Member: ediblemanager

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Poppery 1- 60grams MAX
bman40
I bought a poppery I and it can only handle about 60g max of green beans -

Any suggestions as to increase this? More air? more power?

thanks

jkoll42
It should be able to handle more than that stock. It has been a while, but I think less than a 150g load usually would not retain enough heat to roast correctly. What are the symptoms if you put more than 60g in.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

seedlings
I haven't used a P1... the one I had went in the CoffeeKids Auction a couple of years ago.

I thought these were supposed to be roasting beasts! Agree that we need to know what is happening that limits the roaster to 60g. Won't circulate more any more than 60g of beans? Won't get hot enough?

Be patient, there IS an answer!
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JimG
Been awhile for me on the P1, but I recall the need to tip the unit forward at the start to help the heavy greens get moving.

Jim

jkoll42
Your right Jim - I remember that also
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

bman40
I shoudl have provided more details - I have 4 poppery I units, and they all handle different weights. I find the two best units can handle 125 - without tipping the unit and give a nice even roast.

With this new one, at over 60g - without tipping, the fan cant seem to move the beans.

I roast in a garden shed in the back yard, uisng an extension cord - which is now been outside for probably 7 years - year round. the cord is 50' long. One thing I'm goign to try this weekend is to plug it directly into an outlet and see if its a power 'quality' issue. I perforated the bottom plate and removed the metal bottom plate to try and get more air flow, but it hasnt helped. Temperature seems OK - 60g roasted evenly, but with a family of five coffee drinkers, I need to roast more than 60g a batch.

Thanks.

jkoll42
Could be the cord like you said or a worn out fan. Been a while since I pulled one apart, but is it possible you have something lodged in the air path that is restricting airflow inside?

5 coffee drinkers? Sounds like time to move up to something larger!
-Jon

bman40
So i tested the unit indoors today - direct plug to wall - no problem. Then I tested it at two point along the extension cord / connections... FAILURE. Its a power cord problem - easy fix - a new heavy gauge extension cord.

Thanks for the responses folks. Back in business in sunny Steveston BC

Barry

Beaner
One thing I've seen done is to widen the gaps in the slits around the bottom of the can using a screwdriver. It's supposed to scoop more air and is done from the inside after taking the popper apart.

I hope to be posting some pics soon of of a mod I did to my popper that may spark a few ideas. It's sort of radical but it works good.

From what I've seen the poppers that ciculate the beans via the slits are 1200W and the type that have the mesh screen at the bottom are 1400W. Seems everyone prefers the slotted type but I prefer the bottom mesh screen type due to my mod.

Here is a link to a mod tutorial that shows widening the slots:

http://sites.goog...cornpumper
Edited by Beaner on 10/16/2011 1:28 AM

Beaner
Speaking of grams and generally speaking, about how much in volume would 60g be if placed in a measuring cup? Or, about how many grams would 1 cup be?

I don't have a scale is why I ask.

JimH
You made me curious, so I weighed some beans.

One cup of

High Grown Central 170 grams
Ethiopia Sidamo 167
Low Grown Brazil 160
Monsooned Bali 121

So for most beans, slightly more than 1/3 of a cup is 60 grams.

Jump to Forum: