Users Online
Guests Online: 9

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,628
Newest Member: tombull

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
is having divuts on ur roasted beans bad?(slightly into 2C)
relacker
as a noob to roasting, i was hoping to roast say til full city +. but was not able to get 'just b4 2C' hence consequently i went into 2C b4 i stop and manual cool(using gene cafe roaster)

found that some of my beans had divuts/shrapnel , is this necessary a bad thing in coffee roasting?

to me the coffee seemed alright but just owndering the divuting has bad effects like loss of aroma etc

Koffee Kosmo
To much heat does that
Beans under stress from the inside shed a portion of the outside shell just like a volcano to relieve pressure
This pressure build up is an overload of expanding moisture and chemicals
Keep heat to an equilibrium so the balance does not boil over

Still tastes good
I hope my explanation is understandable

I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

ginny
relacker:

clearly I would not worry about some divuts! not sure why you cannot burn the beans if you wish in the gene cafe.

start out perhaps a bit slower and ramp the hell out of it as you start to finish 1st crack.

also depends on the green bean. what are you trying to toast up there?

ginnyShock

Unta
I agree with both of these guys/gals.
Something to do with release of pressure. I used to get them all the time in my machine. Not sure what has changed, maybe a longer drying phase.
Sean
Edited by Unta on 10/13/2011 9:45 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.

endlesscycles
I used to see them more often in my own roasts. I still see them in other roasters beans. I've long since stopped going deep into second and only now see them on beans that do reach second. It sometimes only starts happening in the cooling tray, too... so that's curious.

As for loss of good qualities, anything more than 425F is getting the dark overlay. 445F marks second where cell damage begins resulting in more rapid staling.

It's possible to burn off acidity without going to second... it just takes a higher degree of control than I suspect a home toy is capable of.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

wsikes
I roast in an unmodded popper (6 min to FC+) and I haven't had any tipping or divots yet. Maybe I am just lucky, or maybe I just haven't roasted the type of bean that does that yet. I have only roasted Sumatra and a Brazil. The beans are done all the way through, I even carried one roast to a Vienna. If the popper starts showing divots and tipping after I mod it, I am goint to shoot it.

ginny
Don't get overly excited about divots or other strange bean stuff.

Many beans roast with not all perfect in color, shape and plain old crappy looking beans.

Frankly I would simply roast away and not concern myself with the odd stuff.

Pick out what you think look odd and then enjoy the coffee.

You have not roasted enough at this point to worry; roast um, grind um and just really enjoy.

gB)

worry about those little later.

seedlings

relacker wrote:
as a noob to roasting, i was hoping to roast say til full city +. but was not able to get 'just b4 2C' hence consequently i went into 2C b4 i stop and manual cool(using gene cafe roaster)

found that some of my beans had divuts/shrapnel , is this necessary a bad thing in coffee roasting?

to me the coffee seemed alright but just owndering the divuting has bad effects like loss of aroma etc

Don't try to make more divots and don't worry when you see them. :)

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

relacker
i am roasting antigua. yes, i did start the temp at 250degC then after 1C slow it to 230degc. seemed to give me reasonably gd coffee, albeit darker than those beans from shops and the divuts.

probably will start at 240degC and slow it 228degC after 1C to see how it goes.

previously i tried from 185 for drying 5min ->225til 1C -> then 235degC til 2C. result wasn't that gd. taste bakey
Edited by relacker on 10/14/2011 10:22 AM

Jump to Forum: