renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Showtime/Toaster oven hybrid roaster build
grumpyod
I bought a Ronco compact rotisserie a couple of months ago at the thrift store. After researching heat sources I could use indoors i.e. halogen, nichrome, etc. figured it might be easier to pirate the elements out of an old toaster oven. I cut the elements down from 11in. to 8in. and made a bracket/reflector from the crumb tray. Mounted the tubes in the brackets and hot wired them and they still worked! I am considering wiring one element to the switches on the Ronco and the other to a separate dimmer switch for better heat control. As soon as my wife gets over me tearing apart her toaster oven I will hopefully get my allowance so I can get gears, as the rpm's are slow as is. I am posting pic's for feedback on improvements and would appreciate opinions on drum material as I am still debating perforated or mesh?
Edited by grumpyod on 10/20/2011 11:52 AM
Whirley Pop, BBQ Drum, Roto/Toasty Drum Roaster, Cuisinart Burr Grinder, HGBM, SEDONA Elite 3200 manually controlled gas roaster.

grumpyod
hopefully picture of glowing elements in their bracket.
Link to the pictures I've taken so far. more to follow.
https://picasaweb...-z7rtfP9wE
grumpyod attached the following image:
ignition2.jpg

Edited by grumpyod on 10/20/2011 3:06 PM
Whirley Pop, BBQ Drum, Roto/Toasty Drum Roaster, Cuisinart Burr Grinder, HGBM, SEDONA Elite 3200 manually controlled gas roaster.

seedlings

grumpyod wrote:
As soon as my wife gets over me tearing apart her toaster oven

Ha!

You may want a mesh or perforated drum with openings large enough for chaff to fall down- unless they will fall on one of the heat elements. I've heard reports that chaff will pretty much vaporize on contact with heat elements, but it may not be worth a fire risk. Insulation may be helpful too. If you're interested in an inexpensive option for a drum, you could try a tin V8 can or two of those large fruit cans put together.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
Here's another idea I stumbled upon in my own dumpster recently.
http://www.endtim...MN-110.jpg

Note the heater element guard. I tossed an old kerosene heater out and as it landed, I noticed the roasting drum in it. I had to dive in to get it back. Mine will hold a half pound to a pound; I haven't measured it yet, but a quick internet search for pictures shows they come in different sizes. Mine is steel.

Like I have time to build another roaster...

Just another thing to look for at the thrift shops.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

grumpyod
I got the drum and the wiring done today. Picked up a 12" deep fry thermometer this evening and tomorrow I will find someplace to stick the thermometer. Roflmao Then I think I'm gonna burn me some coffee beans.
Once the smoke clears I will try to post the results.
Edited by grumpyod on 10/27/2011 8:03 PM

grumpyod
Ran a short test/burn-in this morning and noticed smoke coming from my heat control. I guess a 5 watt dimmer switch ain't cuttin' it. I should probably get me one of those test meter thingies! Anywho I rewired using the Ronco controls and I'll see what happens using the HS either on or off. Any suggestions for a good cheap heat control would be appreciated.

coffeeroastersclub

grumpyod wrote:
Ran a short test/burn-in this morning and noticed smoke coming from my heat control. I guess a 5 watt dimmer switch ain't cuttin' it. I should probably get me one of those test meter thingies! Anywho I rewired using the Ronco controls and I'll see what happens using the HS either on or off. Any suggestions for a good cheap heat control would be appreciated.

OUCH! That ain'ts good. A suggestion: If you have a goodwill or salvation army store in your area you may be able to pick up a used hot plate. They have a dial on them that is essentially a rheostat wired for 120 volts AC. I'd take the hotplate apart and salvage the rheostat and hook it up to your elements. You also may wish to find some high temp 3M electrical tape to cover any exposed wires in your assembly, and also use ceramic wire connectors to assure heat proof connections. Wiring should be high temp insulated also. When testing use good non conducive gloves; wear eye protection also.

Just some pointers I have learned over the years, if you do not know already.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

seedlings
Do you have just two elements? You could manually switch one on and off and leave the other on all the time. A light switch at Lowes is less than a dollar.

How many amps are the elements, or how many watts are they?

Do you have a harbor freight store nearby? The router speed control is good for 15 amps and that is $20.

CHAD

grumpyod
I have been able to use the high temp. wiring from my pirated parts so I am okay there. I couldn't use the temp. control from the toaster oven as it was tied to the thermostat. Will use a router control so I don't have to rely on the pickings at the thrift store. I have no idea how many amps the elements are drawing because my meter only does DC current. Pretty sure it's more than 5 since I smoked the dimmer. Winged it on a half pound of Sumatran using the on/off switch and the door for temperature control. About 12 Min. and they were starting to roll. Turned the heat off, left the drum turn and started pulling batteries out of smoke alarms. The bean color isn't very uniform but I let them rest for an hour then ground some up and you can't hardly see it. It doesn't taste all that bad, a little bright at first then that taste I love.
grumpyod attached the following image:
photo0036.jpg

grumpyod
Here is the video of my first try with the roaster. I finally got some more wire and a router control so now I have one element on constantly and one variable to see what kind of heat control I can achieve that way. Will try a couple of roasts today and post the results and possibly another terrible video. [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suDOust3_k[/video]
Edited by grumpyod on 11/02/2011 5:52 AM

seedlings
I have a george foreman rotisserie cooker like that, but couldn't get an even roast. I used 2 500W halogen lamps in addition to the original heat elements. The only thing your setup might benefit from is a faster RPM motor. So, once you're ready, that could be the first upgrade! That being said, it does look like your beans spend a good amount of time falling through the air, which is very good.

Well done! What kind of coffee is that pictured?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 11/02/2011 8:08 AM

dja
Sumatran's are normally darker then that most of the places I have seen them roasted, but I would expect them to be uneven with the level of roast that you took these too. How many days after you roast them before the flavor starts to fade.

if you need a faster or slower motor try surplus center and you might want to look for a minirik DC motor control on evil bay they can be had for like 15 bucks if your patient. and watch there super easy to hook up and you have from 0 to 90 volts DC for speed control, and if its a Brush type vac motor it'll run it too,
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

grumpyod
I am not sure of the exact origin of the beans other than Sumatra. I roasted a half pound and an hour later ground half of that up and started taste testing. A day and a half later I ground the rest up and finished it off. The coffee didn't last long enough for the flavor to fade. I was looking into different gearing to boost the rpm's until I found out the cost of two 4 in. gears. Yesterday I did a 1/2 pound of Dominican and 1/2 pound of Sumatran with one element on the router control. It still didn't give me the heat control I wanted so today I wired both elements to be hooked to the router control. Yesterdays roast was half decent as the Dominican came out a nice city and the Sumatran came out as little pieces of charcoal. Am debating moving the motor so it is direct drive @ 60 rpm's or mounting a faster one in the same place as the one is now to increase speed. I appreciate the advice as it keeps me on track.

allenb
Howdy GP,

My 1lb radiant drum roaster (home built) has somewhere between 1200 and 1400 watts of radiant power. I've done quite a bit of experimentation with it and I've found that I have to drop down to as low as 350 watts during drying phase and at post 1C to keep RoR under control. This was determined using a variac, RoR meter and volt meter. I then experimented using a PID ramp/soak controller which did not work out all that well due to difficulty tuning the PID settings to work during main roasting phase and during post 1C. This required two very different settings.

As far as increasing rpm, the only benefit I've found for going faster than a slow waterfall is improved chaff separation. This is with radiant only, not externally heated drum roasters. They need more agitation to prevent scorching.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

grumpyod
Anywho,
It's Sat. morning and I am installing my vent system. First try will be passive only, and if that isn't sufficient I will install a fan to help. I am also looking into the dc motor control suggested by dja cause I found a ready source of motors. (kids in neighborhood have powerwheels ) I also bought a Baby George at the thrift store, not sure what I am gonna do with it but for $4.21 tax incl. I had to have it. Dominican from my second roast, bean color slightly varied but tasted like coffee.
Edited by grumpyod on 11/05/2011 7:17 AM

Beaner
Hey, as long as you guys are talking about a rotisserie roaster I have a question. Over on Sweet Maria's forum a guy was asking about a roaster. He's wanting to up his roasting capacity from his Gene Cafe and was asking if anyone had any thoughts on this roaster:

http://www.ecrate...ic-coffee#

They claim that it will roast 5 lbs but I'm inclined to have doubts about that. However, I am certainly not knowledgeable on this at all and was curious if you experts here have any thoughts.

Thanks.
Edited by Beaner on 11/06/2011 10:04 AM

JETROASTER
That's 'coffeeroastersclub', he's one of our own. I'm sure he can speak to your question. -Scott

coffeeroastersclub

Beaner wrote:
Hey, as long as you guys are talking about a rotisserie roaster I have a question. Over on Sweet Maria's forum a guy was asking about a roaster. He's wanting to up his roasting capacity from his Gene Cafe and was asking if anyone had any thoughts on this roaster:

http://www.ecrate...ic-coffee#

They claim that it will roast 5 lbs but I'm inclined to have doubts about that. However, I am certainly not knowledgeable on this at all and was curious if you experts here have any thoughts.

Thanks.

Hi. That is my product you are asking about. If you have any questions on it please email me at len@coffeeroastersclub.com

I respect the home builder theme of this website and would rather keep my commercial product discussions separate.

I hope you understand.

Thanks,
Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

grumpyod
I have been having some problems with my heat sources. Twice they have blown out during a roast. Have some new nichrome wire en route and I am hoping that solves that problem. My passive venting worked fairly well but I installed an inline fan anyway. Once I get the bugs work out with the heat elements and get some consistent roasts I need to find a way to record time and temp. I hope to get a TC next, just not sure what to get or how to connect it to my laptop. All opinions will be appreciated. Will run a 1\2 lb. today to check fan operation and try to take some video so people can see my set-up such as it as.

seedlings
If you're losing heat elements, you probably need just a bit of air circulation. It might be enough to put a few perforations in the bottom of the roaster under the elements and perforations in the upper roaster so air can be drawn in through the bottom, over the elements, across the beans, then out the top or back. Just an idea.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 11/17/2011 8:49 AM

grumpyod
Thanks Chad,
That won't be hard to try out since I was speramentin' the other day using a Baby George element and electric range element. I got holes drilled all over the place trying to wire them up. I wound up putting the Baby George one where the original was and hooking up my last length of nichrome below the drum as before. Roasted a half pound of Guat, took it to SC then pulled & cooled, beans were very uniform in color and quite tasty. I hope this element holds out until my Amazon order shows then I am going to try two elements on a one pound roast.

seedlings
If you'd like some spare parts- I have a GF with two added 500W halogen lamps... if you'll cover shipping.

CHAD

grumpyod
Chad,
Appreciate the offer but within a 5 mi. radius I got 2 Goodwill stores, 4 re-uzit joints and a couple of flea markets so i'm good. What I need now is the USPS to bring me my nichrome wire cause my last resistance wire element burnt up today. Fortunately it went right about city+.

grumpyod
My nichrome wire arrived and I finally did a little reading on the subject instead of just winging it. So I went to the feed store and got some
insulators and wound a coil the length I needed. I bolted the insulators to a removable pan, put it in place, wired it up and walla I was in business. Here is a short video of my first roast with the new element.ThumbsUp

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP2MyxYugKE[/video]

seedlings
Looks like a fine job there on your new coil- and easily replaceable = nice.
ThumbsUp

CHAD

Jump to Forum: