Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 9

Members Online: 1
TopherM

Total Members: 7,050
Newest Member: TopherM
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Salvador SHG Cerro Las Ranas Pulped Natural
Unta
Post your roast profiles and what you think of the coffee. Mistakes many times can generate great outcomes, don't be afraid to be outside the box in here.
Sean Harrington
educate.
Gregman
12 hrs after a roast about 2min into first crack (city?).

I compared what you gave me to what I roasted also.

This coffee is very mild and delicate in flavor w/ a medium body.

It starts off mellow on the tongue then a slight milk chocolate flavor.
The finish is long and a little citrus orange/lemon maybe?

There is a certain dryness at the end which reminds me of a favorite Bolivia.

I never would have guess it was a pulped coffee though.

I 'll try it everyday to see the peak and how it develops.

Greg
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!
Unta
It doesn't have the pulped berry notes and I'm thinking that it might perform better a bit darker..maybe 435ish. That Sample that you have is a 12 minute 426, 4 minute dry time. Ill post the profile and maybe a cupping result a bit later.
We shall see.

Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
Unta
Somehow I miss placed a profile, but here is the first.
1- 199
2- 245
3- 282.
4- 300
5- 315
6- 330
7- 345
8- 365
9- 390
10-407
11- 425 -fin-
the secind batch that was mailed was actually a 4:30 to 300, 20/m to 360. Then 10-12/m up to 390 15-20/m finished @ 427 in 13min.

The slower of the two roasts has more depth. similar body, but less acidity. There is a certain tart cherry and a fruit sweetness. Though I don't have the eloquent palate to decern certain aspects.

Keep the posts coming...Dont worry if you dont have a TC, report what ya got!
Sean
Edited by Unta on 11/26/2011 12:52 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.
JackH
It sounds great Sean, can't wait to try it.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
mk1
Sean,
The Salvador arrived yesterday, thanks. This stuff is wild. Sadly my direct flame roaster is not operational so no temp readings. I roasted to about 1M past 1C and sniffed it the whole way through the roast. The aroma started out very cherry, then a kind of cherry insecticide smell, then cherry pipe tobacco and finally seasoned cherry wood. It's a little cold in the garage so total time was 17M. The wife doesn't like me to roast in the kitchen,, something about smoke alarms etc.
I'm still new to roasting (about 35 roasts) and have roasted about 8 different varieties. None of them smelled like this. I'm waiting for my Rocky to clear of the last batch and will most likely get a chance to taste this tonight or tomorrow. Can't wait.

Thanks again,

Mark
ginny
Went to Post Office this am and found my box; will be roasting in about 20 minutes.

Thank you Sean for sending them along without receiving my check; maybe I will keep it now, yeah the beans and the check!

:PRoflmao

gin
JackH
This went slower than I like. The actual drop in was at the 1 minute mark. Never got to Second Crack. Ended about 2 minutes after first crack. 14 minutes total. The image is at the 500 pixel limit. Seems hard to see.
JackH attached the following image:
roast20111128web.jpg

Edited by JackH on 11/28/2011 4:26 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
JackH
I usually make a cup right after roasts that I do. This had a nutty flavor. After letting it sit 24 hours, it is much, much nicer, rich like a Brazil. I am not tasting any fruit. Probably because I let the roast go too long and not the bean's fault. Certainly nice and drinkable.

The greens are clean and do not have a strong fermented cherry smell like the Ethiopian DP I bought a while ago.

I have been trying to adjust to the colder temps in my garage. Profiles that worked in the summer are not doing so well lately. I do have the Stir Crazy's pot insulated so I can dump without gloves. I may switch to the more powerful 1400W GG Turbo oven I have, at least for the winter.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
Gregman
Ok so 5 days after the roast and I think I'm in love.
I roasted a little darker than what Sean sent, call it City?

Kind of hard to describe what I'm tasting here.
The cup is extremely fragrant and complex, like coco and mild fruit.
The taste is mild and medium bodied followed by milk chocolate and a long lingering taste of dark fruits (not citrus maybe cherry) I don't know?
But it keeps me interested and going back for another sip.
Love the mouth coating aftertaste of this one.
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!
Unta

Gregman wrote:
Ok so 5 days after the roast and I think I'm in love.
I roasted a little darker than what Sean sent, call it City?

Kind of hard to describe what I'm tasting here.
The cup is extremely fragrant and complex, like coco and mild fruit.
The taste is mild and medium bodied followed by milk chocolate and a long lingering taste of dark fruits (not citrus maybe cherry) I don't know?
But it keeps me interested and going back for another sip.
Love the mouth coating aftertaste of this one.

I would say the sample was city+ish. I'm really glad you are enjoying the coffee, I'm finding very similar flavor profiles to what you are explaining.
Sean
Edited by Unta on 12/01/2011 2:21 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.
mk1
Sean,
My roast, just a little past yours but not to 2C is fantastic. When hot it tastes a little like port oxford cedar (the only way I can think to describe it) but when the temp falls below maybe 160F the berry comes out big time. I can't wait to try my next roast where I roasted to city+ and another 10oz to almost 2C and then blended. What fun.

Mark
mk1
Tried the 2 different roast level batch. Very, very excellent, had the bright berry notes with an underlying chocolate profundo.

Mark
Unta

mk1 wrote:
Tried the 2 different roast level batch. Very, very excellent, had the bright berry notes with an underlying chocolate profundo.

Mark

Can you post some pictures of the roasted coffee?
What was your roasting machine and profile?
Glad to hear you are enjoying this coffee!

Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
mk1
Sean,
I try to post some tomorrow as I'm brewing 11 gallons of Ofest/Martzen tonight. I'd better hurry cause this blend is going fast.

Mark
mk1
Sean,

Here is a picture of my 2 roast level blend, (just figured out how to post pictures).
I really like this blend for espresso!

Mark
img401.imageshack.us/img401/637/20111204224312.jpg
Jump to Forum: