Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Which roaster to build?
mk1
What are the pros and cons of the different types of roasters. This is a big question and I apologize if this has been covered in depth before. I'm still new at this but my general impression is;
Drum roasters: at the small end (not big commercial machines) are okay but lacking the high notes, brightness, fairly easy to hot rod, (probes and variac, PID controlled)
Fluid bed: Bright notes, inexpensive for large capacity, easily controlled but a little more manual than Drum.
TO: nice but a little small, controllable + automated. not sure of flavor +s or -s. Do they fall under vertical drum category somewhat?

I'm leaning towards Dan's direct flame drum for the on/off the heat theory he mentions, although they all seem to do this to some degree.

Mark
Unta
Whats your budget? Have any parts laying around? What tools do you have at your disposal?
a couple of questions that might help you get over the hump in one direction or the other. I don't think that you can really go wrong with either method.

Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
jkoll42
What are you looking at for a batch size? Are you looking to do custom fab work or something easy to put together? Any prior roasting or is this your first venture into roasting?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
mk1

I have a lifetimes worth of crap laying around so I can build about anything. I've built everything from Windsor chairs to bridges and custom nano-breweries with full automation. I'm also working on a malter (3 in 1 single vessel for malting and kilning barley) in a 400# batch size. One of my weaknesses is programming which led me to this forum for the 4 channel metering.
Right now I'm roasting on a Behmor 1600 that has me a little frustrated as far as control goes. I saw how Farmroast hotrodded his Behmor but I realized it would be easier and more efficacious to build what I want.
Dan's direct flame roaster looks really sweet. Batch size would about 1lbs.

Thanks,
Mark
Unta
Sounds like a direct flame it is then. John's bubble bed is an innovative air machine, if you do decide to go air. I say build both and compare :).
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
mk1
Sean,
Do you roast on RoasterBob type machine? What are the advantages of the bubble bed compared to the slanted bottom of the standard fluid bed, a more even roast? Is a very even roast desirable? The RoasterBob looks really easy to build and dumping directly to the cooling rack is elegant. I believe I will have to build 2 and I have just the person in mind to receive the extra roaster when I'm done experimenting. He's using an air popper and is having a problem with inadequate heat in the colder weather.

Mark
jkoll42
Well, it's obvious you have the ability to build whatever the heck you want. You seem into the direct flame so I so go for it first. I always though if you are excited to build something then build it. With your automation knowledge and desire for roast control I also see an electric automated TC4 controlled air roasted in your future!

Oh, and since I am such a nice guy, feel free to ship me any nano-brewerys you have laying around. I would hate for you to accumulate too much stuff Grin But not the malter. My wife is very understanding.... but not 400# understanding! Keep us updated

Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
Koffee Kosmo
Doesn't have to be direct flame
Two X ribbon flame burners would give you infinite control
One to be mostly " on" the other for temp adjusting

Ribbon Burners Bring More Flexibility to roasting applications

KK
Koffee Kosmo attached the following image:
ribbon_burner_salas.gif

Edited by Koffee Kosmo on 11/22/2011 5:15 AM
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
Dan
Well, here's a picture of my nano roaster! Oh, and it's a direct-flame model, too. ;)

claycritters.com/coffee/Bollinger-single-bean-roaster.jpg
Edited by Dan on 11/22/2011 8:13 AM
seedlings
With your parts availability and building ability... why not 2 roasters? You already know that once you build a drum... you'll want an air roaster too!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
Unta

Dan wrote:
Well, here's a picture of my nano roaster! Oh, and it's a direct-flame model, too. ;)

claycritters.com/coffee/Bollinger-single-bean-roaster.jpg

This is my new favorite roaster..
Sean Harrington
educate.
dja
wheres the nanapot Roflmao
Edited by dja on 11/22/2011 9:48 AM
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
Unta

mk1 wrote:
Sean,
Do you roast on RoasterBob type machine? What are the advantages of the bubble bed compared to the slanted bottom of the standard fluid bed, a more even roast? Is a very even roast desirable? The RoasterBob looks really easy to build and dumping directly to the cooling rack is elegant. I believe I will have to build 2 and I have just the person in mind to receive the extra roaster when I'm done experimenting. He's using an air popper and is having a problem with inadequate heat in the colder weather.

Mark

My machine is somewhat of a redheaded step child. It was born of woodworking and construction equipment and a lot of trial and error. If you search monstrosity air roaster you'll see what I mean.
Robs machine has to be one of the most copied and successful builds here. I would nevert hesistate to suggest that you should build one, you just seem more into the outer sides of the box with wanting to build the direct flame roaster, thus the bubble bed suggestion.
Really looking forward to another great build here..The HR.o is the place to be, some talented guys running around here..
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
mk1
Wow,
That's a big setup! I didn't go through all the posts (the facebook links are dead) but I can see I'll need a very large coffee bean for my alcohol lamp freestanding direct flame roaster. The candle just wouldn't cut it. On mine I'm using a pinwheel and the intake draft from the lamp to turn the bean at about 6 rpm. Do you think this is too fast?
Seriously I would never have come up with the propane torpedo heater. Outstanding.

Mark
Jump to Forum: