Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

10/12/2021 11:55 AM
Evan Slack and CupOfJoe, Welcome !

10/07/2021 3:24 AM
Larry140, Roastiva and fkrauthan, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 19

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,360
Newest Member: maycondelpiero

View Thread

Homeroasters - Home Roasting Coffee Community » HOMEROASTER USER GROUPS (HUGS) » South HUGS
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Oklahoma
kgraham
David,

In relation tot he blower:

FASCO
No. 7083-0334
Type: UB-581

When I open it back up Monday, will take pics of that too.

-Ken
The Greenest Bean, The Freshest Roast!
allenb
I've been curious for a while what kind of profiles the Sono can do. If you get a TC4 you'll be able to log it.

I'm sure there are lots of questions many here at HRO will have for you concerning the Sono Fresco so please start a new thread under "Roasting Coffee" so folks can easily find this in the future. You mentioned photos of the internals. We'd all love to see this so please post them in the thread as well. If you have any questions on posting photos let us know and we'll be happy to walk you through it.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
kgraham
Hi Allen,

Will do. I have planned to get a Sono Fresco for some time and got my chance. As I had said in previous posts, I had to do some upgrading of some of the internals. Being a Video Engineer and Video Editor by trade, I can assure you, documentation in photo and video form has happened. I think I will also be starting a post over at YouTube just as jkoll and others have done to demonstrate its operation. I think I will call that new threat, SonoFrescoRoasting so there is a deliniation that people can see. This roaster is a fluid bed roaster.

It's a great group of people here and quite technical. As mentioned, my goal is to stick a TC4 in it and chart all the roasts. I will be in more discussions with Sono Fresco Tech Sean to see if I can gleam more from him about the Roast numbers and there relation to a specific profile.

It must be noted that Sono Fresco might consider some of the info pertaining to the Roast Profile "proprietary" but the TC4 would probably reveal its secrets. At least, that is my hope.

I will work on getting the internal pics out and more will be taken Monday as I install the new temp sensor and clean the blower.

-Ken
jkoll42
They do actually show the roast profile on their patent paperwork.

http://www.wipo.i...ailPdf.jsf

It is near the end - Figure 3A/3B. [The question is if the actual roast profile follows the published one. It is actually pretty close to the "standard" air roaster profile most people seem to use here.

0 - 1.25 min = 180F/min
1.25 - 4 min = 36F/min
4 - 8.25 min = 18F/min
8.25- Finish = 8F/min

Looks like finish varies per bean but us in the 11-12 min range

Jon
Edited by jkoll42 on 12/11/2011 9:13 AM
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
kgraham
Morning Jon,

Before the temp sensor failed, it was taking me between 12-15 mins to get a roast done. I did take a roast to 16 mins and got the Italian roast level.

Have made contact with AllenB and he is great! The group is asking me to post pics as you and David did so when parts arrive, I will begin to document it. I will probably take it apart again tomorrow since Tech Support is asking me to also clean the fan blades.

There seems to also be the opinion that your Bubble Roaster and the Sono are close cousins! :) I am here to help you in any way to get your roaster to a stable and standard config for roasting of coffee. So, I will share anything and everything I learn about the Sono Fresco.

This is a great group of people. UNTA kindly advised me to post and to post often but to never offer beans for sale on the site. I will chalk it up to a learning experience and I greatly valued his saying hi and encouraging more.

So, this week, I will get that address and send you some bean! Think about what roast level you want too.

-Ken:smileycoffee:
kgraham
David, John, All,

New Carafe received today from Sono Fresco and new temp sensor. Wouldn't you know it, I have Jury Duty tomorrow so hopefully will have it up and running again in a day or two! I also received some grean bean from Sono Fresco today and some additional parts for Lil Red. The new Carafe is indeed heavier and it set me back $220.00. Glad I am serious about this coffee roasting thing! :)
kgraham
David, Jon, Allen, Unta, Ginny, All,

Go here to see the short video on the completion of my Sono Fresco rebuild:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgAbSujYHJ0&feature=email
kgraham
STATUS OF SONO FRESCO:

1. Nozzle was for Natural Gas (NG). When the machine was changed over to propane they forgot to add a nozzle size 51. Since propane is approx 30,000 BTU's per hour and NG is 27,000 BTU's/hr..the gas amount being delivered is not metered correctly thus creating a mismatch in the fuel/air ratio.

2. The internal gas regulator had been adjusted to the parameters of a Master Roaster's personal specs thus taking the Sono Fresco completely out of spec. I am still pondering whether I am going to replace the gas regulator.

3. The Alligator Teeth burn surface has to be positioned in such a way to allow an even flow of hot gasses. I found it out of place and therefore created hot spots.

4. Also going to open up the Squirrel Cage and clean it out. There is not a consistent air flow and that is adding to the scorching of bean. I am confidant based on discussions with jkoll42 that all it needs is cleaning.

4. Burner tube will also be checked and ignitor will be cleaned off for any carbon deposits.

The Size 51 orifice should be here soon from Sono Fresco.

:smileycoffee:
Jump to Forum: