Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
brUber
Unta
http://blip.tv/in...sh-5370064

The next Challenge for the group...wet Grinders.
Edited by Unta on 12/12/2011 12:41 AM
Sean Harrington
educate.

coffeeroastersclub

Unta wrote:
http://blip.tv/in...sh-5370064

The next Challenge for the group...wet Grinders.

Absolutely fascinating. I am watching this now as I write. Thank you for the link.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

Unta
No problem len, I'm glad someone took the time to watch. I was really lucky to find the Deaton Blog again.
What I took away other then the obviously mind blowing idea of brewing and grinding at the same time is that I thought it was great to see that the commercial coffee world is playing around and supporting this type of innovation.
Sean

Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb

Unta wrote:
No problem len, I'm glad someone took the time to watch. I was really lucky to find the Deaton Blog again.
What I took away other then the obviously mind blowing idea of brewing and grinding at the same time is that I thought it was great to see that the commercial coffee world is playing around and supporting this type of innovation.
Sean

Sean, thanks for posting this. I can see a rig coming together using a stainless steel vacuum pot with a grinder attachment shown in this video lowered into the top chamber while the hot water has migrated up into it. I can definitely believe that a huge difference is possible by a radical change in grinding method.

One of the reasons I can believe this is my experience in the past where a local micro roaster and coffee shop brewed through some 1.5 gallon Fetco shuttle brewers. The clarity, complexity and absolutely focused flavor notes I experienced from those brewers were only rarely experienced at home using the same roasted product whether using vac pot, press pot or any other method and also using their water to boot. There is no doubt in my mind that many of us are only getting a fraction of the full flavor potential inherent in our home roasts.

Allen
Edited by allenb on 12/12/2011 8:24 PM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Unta

allenb wrote:

Unta wrote:
Sean

Sean, thanks for posting this. I can see a rig coming together using a stainless steel vacuum pot with a grinder attachment shown in this video lowered into the top chamber while the hot water has migrated up into it. I can definitely believe that a huge difference is possible by a radical change in grinding method.

One of the reasons I can believe this is my experience in the past where a local micro roaster and coffee shop brewed through some 1.5 gallon Fetco shuttle brewers. The clarity, complexity and absolutely focused flavor notes I experienced from those brewers were only rarely experienced at home using the same roasted product whether using vac pot, press pot or any other method and also using their water to boot. There is no doubt in my mind that many of us are only getting a fraction of the full flavor potential inherent in our home roasts.

Allen

I agree Allen.
I think that we have a real advantage with some of the roasters here, vs the big commercial versions and that we only lack in brew tech/consistancy, not to mention water quality which I think is were we really should be spending a lot of our time. That is if we had any :)

I would love to see a sketch of what you are thinking. This seems like a worthy venture.

Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb
I'll try to put a sketch together in the near future. What I was thinking of was using the bare shaft ended conical grinder like he used in the video, come up with a flange that would center it and hold it at a constant depth in the stainless upper vessel of a stovetop Chicago Nicro vacuum pot or similar style, could use cory or Sunbeam electric too. It would obviously need to be able to just be dropped into the upper vessel and easily pulled for cleaning without fasteners.

You could heat the water till it got just high enough in the upper vessel to surround the burrs then start grinding away. You would need a weighted screen of some sort with a hole in the center for the drive shaft to go through as a weight to keep the beans from floating up in the water while grinding. Unfortunately, for a weighted screen to work, the bean hopper side walls would need to be straight and not tapered otherwise the screen would not drop as the beans moved down.

I'd like to know what grinder he was using to see details of it's construction.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Unta
Im thinking this is similar if not the one. there is another video on youtube of someone modifying this Hario with cermamic burrs to accompany a drill drive.

http://www.amazon...B001802PIQ
I like the Idea of using a vac pot for the simplicty of moving the water.
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

DocZ
I think it was mentioned it in the video with a reference to the? Skerton wobble?.

Jump to Forum: