Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roasted Coffee: Best to use by?
sierranomad
So I've read that green beans can be kept for 6-12 months before roasting, but after the coffee's been roasted how long can it be stored before the taste starts to deteriorate?
Jon

wsikes
If you want to drink the coffee at it peak I would not recommend keeping it more than two weeks after roast. I personally don't care much for coffee made from roasted beans that are over a week old. My own personal preference... YMMV
William Sikes

Koffee Kosmo

sierranomad wrote:
So I've read that green beans can be kept for 6-12 months before roasting, but after the coffee's been roasted how long can it be stored before the taste starts to deteriorate?

This question is best answered with

Green beans will roast OK up to 3 years given good storage conditions

Roasted beans - this answer is more flexible
It all depends on the
1) Green bean process used e.g. air dry, wet process, sun dry, monsooned ect
2) The continent the beans are grown in
3) High or Low altitude
4) Roast level e.g. roasting for a particular brew method

A post roast degas time of 3 to 14 days is the norm depending on the points noted above

Having said that the general consensus is 3 to 4 weeks post roast

What is not mentioned enough is
Roasted Coffee is a fresh food product, and if not consumed quickly, it goes stale

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

jkoll42
I would throw in the easy to remember Rule Of 15s.

15 months for green
15 days for Roasted Beans
15 Minutes for ground Beans

Again, this is a general guide. I will tell you that roasted coffee for me doesn't go past a week. I have found that if you are using specialty beans, you really start to lose the individual flavors that stand out coming up to a week. In fact, some of the fruit notes fade after a few days. I would never consider coffee stale at a week, but for me there is no point letting it go past that.

Freezing roasted beans is a great way to split your batch into amounts you would use in a week.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

sierranomad
Thanks! I've likely never had "fresh" coffee before. Looking forward to it. :)
Jon

seedlings
I agree with the rule of 15 give or take. If you ever roast a robusta bean- I believe that will keep for months! (I'm not really joking)

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

sierranomad
Thanks. The "rule of 15" is easy to remember.

The comment on taste makes me chuckle. The first time I had fish and chips was in Wales...a small hole in the wall in a castle. All fish served had been caught that day, the place didn't even have a fridge. I had never tasted anything so good! The fish was flaky, moist and flavorful. When I got back to the U.S. I got fish and chips on my first opportunity, and I was greatly disappointed. Tough, dry and tasteless. I probably would have liked it OK had I not had the fresh fish first, but knowing what it should be, it was awful.

I doubt that I will note such a drastic difference in fresh/vs months old coffee, but am anticipating a difference.
Jon

seedlings

sierranomad wrote:

I doubt that I will note such a drastic difference in fresh/vs months old coffee, but am anticipating a difference.

It's a fairly easy experiment to perform :) roast a batch and put one pot's worth of beans in the cabinet. Save enough of the greens to roast again in 2 or 3 months. When you've waited long enough, roast the second batch, brew each and compare!!!

CHAD

ginny
This could go on forever as we all know.

I would suggest you roast some beans, try them right away as espresso, French Press or however you like your coffee; wait 2 days and try again, wait 5 days and try again but this assumes that you make notes eh time you brew the brew.

I would keep enough for a cup or two and wait 15 plus days and see what happens.

You cannot cheat. If you cannot tell one flavor from another in coffee, taste the notes which many of us cannot, you must be honest about it and write it down.

No shame in not being able to taste notes in coffee.

This will be very interesting and I hope more members jump in and do this test.

I am saying this because once in many moons past I had some Ethiopian Harrar Horse that was Blueberry from the start, unmistakable, Blueberry. I wanted more.

I forgot some I had roasted for maybe 3 plus weeks and it was the BEST coffee I have ever had, period. Single origin espresso, iced, you name it it was BLUEBERRY at it's best. Screamed Blueberry..

Was it simply my taste buds wanting more Blueberry or was it that the coffee had aged in the jar and LET MORE OF SOME INTENSE FLAVOR COME TROUGH?

Maybe we need to have a bit of a tasting thing here; sam bean, roast it and go from there?

gGrin

Gregman
Great Ginny, let's do it with the Harrar we got from Chad?
Sorry about the hyjack let's create a new thread.
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!

BenGeldreich
Ginny,

I'm in! I am roasting tomorrow morning! I will keep notes and keep enough for a cup or two till the end of January.

--------

Ben

Turbo Oven Roaster w/ Variac, TC4Cw/ Bourbon | Bezzera Strega | Baratza Vario Grinder | Yama 5 Cup Syphon | Aeropress

sierranomad
I think I'm OK at tasting notes, but not sure that I would be able to tell a slight difference on different days. Chad's idea would work better for me...able to try them side by side.

Interesting test.
Jon

seedlings

sierranomad wrote:
I think I'm OK at tasting notes, but not sure that I would be able to tell a slight difference on different days. Chad's idea would work better for me...able to try them side by side.

Interesting test.

What helps me in tasting is to read coffee reviews because there are some common flavors and some not so common. Often there is a flavor I taste that I am familiar with, but can't put my finger on it. I can go read reviews of similar coffee and someone may say 'fig' and then I'm like "yes!" it was sweet, but not honey, not super fruity or tart... FIG! Or if I can't decide if it's chocolate or caramel or vanilla... how about 'heath bar'? Plus you'll hear me say things like 'it reminds me of...". Key: there isn't a right and wrong way, it's about what YOU taste. Kind of like describing a Picaso- everyone has a take.

CHAD

sierranomad

seedlings wrote:
Often there is a flavor I taste that I am familiar with, but can't put my finger on it. I can go read reviews of similar coffee and someone may say 'fig' and then I'm like "yes!"
CHAD

I had wanted to try peaberry for some time, and found some at Trader Joe's a few months back at a reasonable price, so I decided to get some. I was disappointed, as it had an odd, familiar taste, but as you say, one I could not quite put my finger on.

Last week I was perusing through Sweet Maria's coffees, and read what they had to say about roasting peaberry. They said that if you didn't roast quite enough, it would have a tomatoe taste. I said "Yes, that's it!". I like tomatoe, but not in coffee. I plan on getting peaberry beans next to see what it's supposed to taste like.
Jon

upsidedown
[/quote]
I had wanted to try peaberry for some time, and found some at Trader Joe's a few months back at a reasonable price, so I decided to get some. I was disappointed, as it had an odd, familiar taste, but as you say, one I could not quite put my finger on.

Last week I was perusing through Sweet Maria's coffees, and read what they had to say about roasting peaberry. They said that if you didn't roast quite enough, it would have a tomatoe taste. I said "Yes, that's it!". I like tomatoe, but not in coffee. I plan on getting peaberry beans next to see what it's supposed to taste like.[/quote]

This thread is a bit old but this theme has been in a couple others I have read. Is there a minimum amount of beans that need to be roasted at a time to get decent flavor? I recently roasted my first beans in a poppery 1. All ended about American or slightly darker and all taste very woody. All taste about the same even though they are from very different areas (ethiopa, bolivia, panama and india). They have a funny smell and flavor but I don't know what would cause it. Any comments and/or help much appreciated.

Bradley

sabalism
I routinely roast 20-40 gram green loads in my nano roaster. I have had the best tasting coffee of my life this way. How long did your roasts take and at what stage on the audible clues would you estimate you finished at? American roasts often have an undeveloped flavor. Try roasting longer in 30 second increments and compare each cup. J

Jump to Forum: