Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Commercial Conti Machine
steves
I found a used Conti Espresso machine at a restaurant supply store.
They're trying to get rid of it for $200 "as is".
I have no idea if it works or not. It's up on a tall shelf so I can't even plug it in.
The outside appears to be in good shape. Is it too ambitious to buy something like this with the hopes of fixing it up myself if broken?
Are these machines hard to work on, or would it be pretty easy to clean and de-gunk the insides and replace thermostats and whatnot?

Here's a picture of the machine.

lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2pdIE3ABmYk/Tv3fxA-5N4I/AAAAAAAABQs/DUVdj7VZ_aM/w467-h350-k/20111229_122937.jpg

steves
They also have these other 2 commercial machines, but I think the Conti would look much better on my kitchen counter =)

lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zCZ5CAGptSg/Tv3hAfsHGeI/AAAAAAAABQ4/kBf4QU-zyWk/w467-h350-k/20111229_122947.jpg

lh5.googleusercontent.com/-C_SwmPj0krU/Tv3hLqvx1HI/AAAAAAAABRA/VI9btHgnNc4/w311-h233-n-k/20111229_122927.jpg

allenb
Steve,

A couple of things to watch out for:

1. Are any of them 120V machines? If not, do you have the voltage and electrical layout needed to power the higher voltage? (220V single phase with neutral or 220V single phase (2 hots plus ground).

2. Watch out for machines that have been allowed to hit freezing temperatures in someones warehouse or garage and has bulged and/or split tubing. Or worse, a distorted or split boiler.

Without opening the hood it would be pretty risky unless they have a good return policy.

Others here at HRO will probably give you more tips.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

steves
Hi Allen,

Thanks for the tips. I'm not too concerned about the electrical.
I do have a 220V outlet that is unused in the kitchen, so that's an option, and I'm just about to put a subpanel in my garage so running some extra electrical is always possible if needed.

I hadn't considered the freezing temps bulging or bursting something. We are in Canada, so that's a definite possibility.

I really wish I could just plug it to see if the pump runs.

Steve

ginny
Steve:

I would simply ask them to let you look inside. Take a couple of screwdrivers and open end wrenches and have at!

ginny

if they say NO, I would forget it!

seedlings
I would not suspect a bad pump- I would suspect neglect as a primary cause of trouble. Heat element caked in gunk (like mine was), orifices and solenoids caked in gunk (like mine was). My opinion is worst-case scenario is bad electronics... but probably even less likely than the pump. $200 is not a big risk. Offer him $150 cash. I bought my Nuova Simonelli 2 group for $170 on craigslist. I didn't even try to hook it up before a complete disassemble, soak in citric acid, and clean all the gunk-clogged bits. Um.. do you see water in the sight tube = not so good (like mine).. and has it been below freezing in storage?

Can you find any reviews of the machines? Great project! Don't worry. If you pay attention to details, and have persistence, you'll be OK. Especially since you're fine with putting a subpanel and wiring up 220V!

CHAD

Almost forgot the REAL most-important... what does your Wife say about landing that bird in her kitchen???????

Here's what I had to work with: http://homeroaste...post_10502
Edited by seedlings on 12/30/2011 11:06 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

steves
I'll give that a try Ginny, thanks. I'll be headed over there in an hour or so.

steves
The roads are pretty sloppy right now. I'll put it off until Monday and I'll show up with some tools for dissassembly.

steves

seedlings wrote:
Almost forgot the REAL most-important... what does your Wife say about landing that bird in her kitchen???????

Here's what I had to work with: http://homeroaste...post_10502

Ya, no kidding.
I talked to her about it last night. She was fine with it. She has been obsessed with espresso coffee since our trip to Australia where all you can get is espresso coffee. In Canada and the US, many places are drip/filter coffee. We didn't even see one of those places in Oz. So, although she's perfectly happy with my little Saeco machine, she's not objecting to this big beast in the kitchen. We cook and entertain a lot, so with guests, this 2 group machine will be infinitely faster, so it's almost a necessity, right???

Your build repair thread is inspiring. I think I'll buy it. I'll try to get it for $150, but I imagine I'll have to pay $200. It was listed at $500. Although wiring is not my specialty, I have no trouble with basic stuff. I might not be able to accomplish some of the more complex stuff if necessary, but this community may be able to help me out.

Unta
Offer a hundred, no business person is going to make a move on that machine. Ever since rebuilding mine and pondering newer and larger commercial varieties. If you aren't watching that machine pull shots its not worth more then the scrap value of the parts. There are more then enough fail points in the machine to make it somewhat of a risky investment. Offer him 100 and be firm, I'll bet you save a 100. Worse case you concede and pay what hes asking.

Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

Dan
Since it is sitting in a restaurant supply store the machine was probably taken out of service as a trade-in. If so, then it will probably fire up or need minimal attention. If so, then $200 is a very good price. Personally, I wouldn't dicker. They've already come down on the price and "leaving money on the table" is a good negotiating tactic. You never know when you'll want something else from them. There's something to be said for being a good customer versus a pain-in-the-ass.

Ringo
I picked up a for parts Faima at an auction for $23. It took my over a year too rebuild but I really enjoyed it. Make sure the water pump is included, lots of commercial units use an external pump. If you buy it and it is dead from freezing you can part it out on eBay and get lots of money back. Most freeze damaged can be fixed, you can even buy new boilers for most machines. I have read some people have them fixed at radiator shops but that not for me. You have to know someone stopped using it because it quit working. On mine the capacitor on the water pump went out, then a shade tree mechanic ripped it apart not even realizing the pump was out. He destroyed a $5000 machine that was 5 years out for a $20 part. It took me a lot more money than that too fix it because as he took it apart he put the parts in a box so they all did not make it to the auction. I am looking for a new project machine, but do not tell my wife!!
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

Unta

Dan wrote:
Since it is sitting in a restaurant supply store the machine was probably taken out of service as a trade-in. If so, then it will probably fire up or need minimal attention. If so, then $200 is a very good price. Personally, I wouldn't dicker. They've already come down on the price and "leaving money on the table" is a good negotiating tactic. You never know when you'll want something else from them. There's something to be said for being a good customer versus a pain-in-the-ass.

Never realized that making an offer on a machine made you a pain in the ass dan.
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

Dan
Be careful when going to radiator repair shops. They use lead solder on radiators. You want lead-free for potable water.

Commercial machines use what is called a carbonator pump. You can find them on eBay and at Graingers, besides of course restaurant supply houses. They are also used in most soda dispensing machines, hence the name.

However, for a home machine there is a less expensive more compact alternative, triple-diaphram pumps by FloJet. The might be small enough to install inside your machine. I put one in my Isomac Millenia four years ago and it is still running fine.

steves
Are there any quick tests I can do to see if the electronics are functioning?
Also, what's the scrap value of this machine?

Just a note... $500 is the sticker price. They offered it to me for $200 because I'm in there a lot scrounging for parts for my other hobbies. I never really buy any big ticket items there, usually just $5 or $10 on stuff, so I'm probably a bit of a PITA already.
If I look inside the machine and see that it's junked up, I'll definitely offer $100. If I don't see anything suspect inside, then I have no problem paying the $200.

ginny
I think this is a kind of bit the bullet kind of thing. Offer 100 bucks and take it since you will never really know what is wrong, if anything major, anyway until you tear it apart.

ginny

steves
It is 240V.

lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1DAHQib1VU4/TwNUIqYzw2I/AAAAAAAABSA/hrl0nxvNHac/w161-h215-k/20120103_121921.jpg

Here's the back:

lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DIq_SLBkucc/TwNT30u_gxI/AAAAAAAABR4/BCanja3Cnow/w161-h215-k/20120103_121959.jpg

And the guts:

lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HpOwk7Og2AY/TwNS6boGw4I/AAAAAAAABRg/6zbBabSZT3U/w143-h189-k/20120103_124120.jpg

lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3ySMZC82RHo/TwNTN0MW6nI/AAAAAAAABRo/l-5jlURqJtA/w252-h189-k/20120103_123723.jpg

lh6.googleusercontent.com/-E2qSELwJOEs/TwNTj3rP3hI/AAAAAAAABRw/r-5N11RB3P4/w161-h215-k/20120103_123714.jpg

Any thoughts on the inside?
Edited by steves on 01/03/2012 1:20 PM

seedlings
The pictures are too small to really see anything... but consider this: one portafilter will run you $174-$200, and this machine has two.
ThumbsUp
http://cafeparts....emID=62455

Had I seen this on craigslist at the same time I saw mine, I'd have bought yours. I bought mine without knowing anything about the machine, not seeing it run, not plugging it in, not knowing it's storage conditions... I think you'll be OK with $200 on this one.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 01/03/2012 1:31 PM

Dan
Does it have an internal pump?

steves
Sorry for the small pics.
If you go to my photos page, you can click on the image and see it a bit bigger.

https://plus.goog...1136674497

They are still poor quality though, as I only had my cell phone.

The piping looks like it's in decent condition.
The boiler has some tattered insulation around it.
The only point I'm worried about is some of the electrical connections seem to be doctored with some electrical tape.

They were prepared to hook it up to see if it worked, but in their shop, they didn't have the proper outlet for the NEMA L6-20 connector and they didn't have the proper connector to hook up the water.
Edited by steves on 01/03/2012 1:35 PM

steves

Dan wrote:
Does it have an internal pump?

I have no idea.

seedlings
Replacing electrical connectors is no problem- general maintenance. I'm with Dan.. I don't SEE a pump- doesn't mean it's missing. Can you see it connected to the water inlet?

Can you see water in the sight glass tube in the front of the machine? (maybe with floating bits of debris also visible)

CHAD

seedlings
From the Conti website:
"3.) Water pumps can be either internal or external. CONTI machines are fully self-contained, so there is no bulky pump to "hide" under the counter. CONTI has designed the machines with easy access to the pumps for maintenance, and a convenient installation."

So, the pump is probably in there, although I would expect it easy to identify.

CHAD

Unta
This is a good picture of a similar layout to the machine you have. The motor and pump might look like this.. $200.00 would be a good deal I think, due to CHADS point about the portofilters. Just be willing to invest that again to get it up and running.
Sean
Unta attached the following image:
conti3.jpg

Edited by Unta on 01/03/2012 9:03 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.

Dan
The pump hangs on the end of the motor, no belt or exposed shaft.

Why don't mfgrs insulate the boiler?

Jump to Forum: