Print Thread
Using an unmodified bread maker
sierranomad
Last week I went out and bought 2 lbs of coffee (though I have 8 lbs of green beans) because I hadn't yet modified my bread maker. It seems I just can't find the time to get into it.

Then a thought hit me. After a few minutes of agitation, followed by 10 minutes of rest, the paddle in the breadmaker agitates for 33 minutes. I figured that would certainly be long enough for a roast, so I turned the bread maker on and let it alone until it started the 33 minutes of agitation.

Poured in about a half pound of beans, and about 20 - 25 minutes later had a nice batch of Nicaragua Ceilo Azul roasted to (I think) a Full City Roast.

Now I anxiously wait until Tuesday to try a cup!! :)
Jon

grumpyod
Sounds like a winner to me. How does the coffee taste and what level of roast did you get to in that amount of time? I haven't been roasting very long and my roasters are a homemade drum for my gas grill and a modified Ronco Rotisserie oven. I am currently working on a B/M myself and am now thinking about making a new heat element and insulating to prevent heat transfer away from the roast chamber. Good luck with your build and keep posting your progressThumbsUp.
Whirley Pop, BBQ Drum, Roto/Toasty Drum Roaster, Cuisinart Burr Grinder

sierranomad
I got a Full City Roast. I wouldn't say it was a great success, as I would describe the taste as a little burnt. I ordered a thermometer and am working on a lid for more heat control.
Jon

jkoll42
You can also check the manual and set it to dough mode - usually they will run pretty steady with only an occasional half second or so rest. Before I hard wired mine I think the dough cycle would run for 20 minutes or something - long enough for a roast.

That thermometer will be key for getting the roast level correct. There really is no reliable way to judge roast level other than temperature.

Definately run with a lid - all you are trying to do is keep the hot air from flying out of the top. It could literally be a couple of sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil with a hole for the heat gun.

I really would not worry about insulation. There is no harm in doing it, but I can't see any significant improvement. I ran hundreds of roasts with a completely naked bowl and never ran out of heat from a junky HF heat gun. I dont have all the measurments in front of me, but if the BM bowl is about .2CF and the gun puts out 10CMF your are cycling the air in the chamber nearly once a second. I'm not a thermaldynamics expert (maybe someone here who is can do a real calculation)but I have a hard time believing that heat loss from the vessel wall is significant keeping in mind the turnover of air.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

mk1
Jon,
I insulated my HGBM but only because it is much more responsive (temp-wise) in my cold garage where I roast. I would not say it is necessary especially (espressolly) in 50F or above.

Roast Strong!
Mark
Edited by mk1 on 01/26/2012 11:00 PM

sierranomad
Thanks for the input jkoll42 and Mark.

I set up my bm/roast in our "storage room" that we don't heat, but I don't think insulation will be necessary because of my alteration described in the next paragraph. The heater element doesn't work (that's why I could get my wife to let me have the bm).

The pan is square, so I'm making an insert out of tin (from a large fruit can) that is round. I believe that in addition to better mixing this will improve even heating because heat will come not only from the top but also from the inserts walls.

The insert should solve another problem. There was just enough space between the paddle and the bread pan for some beans to get caught. The insert will lessen the amount of space to less than the width of a green bean so the beans should be pushed out of the way instead of getting stuck.
Edited by sierranomad on 01/26/2012 11:42 PM
Jon

seedlings
Good modification with the tin can Jon. 10 minutes isn't bad. Turn it on, go get a couple of charges of beans ready, preheat for a couple of minutes and by then the paddle is going!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

sierranomad
Yes, that's what I was thinking, too. Having to wait a few minutes to start the roast isn't a big enough inconvenience to motivate me to try to rewire the thing.
Jon

Jump to Forum: