renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
1 lb Easydrum Roaster
allenb

sabalism wrote:
Awesome work. What kind of screws are those in the last couple shots? Thanks, J

Thanks J, let me know which screws you're looking at.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

John Despres

allenb wrote:
Thanks John, it's been a fun project and hopefully with the changes it will be easier to operate and put out some great coffee.

You're going to have to take a vacation sometime soon and finish your drum roaster. You were near the finish line if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Allen

You are correct, sir! I actually had it running and then lost free time to continue and it's still sits at the back of the Playground on a bench awaiting further attention.

However, you're project has given me inspiration and an idea or two. Maybe I'll get back to it soon now.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

allenb
Can't wait to see it in operation when you've got it where you want (plus minute by minute shots of mods/changes in progress).

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
Made some additions to the Easydrum roaster over the last couple of months:

-Added an air plenum with blower and chaff collector to the side of the base
-Added a fill funnel to the front with lid and side port exhaust tube connecting to plenum
-Constructed a damper allowing variable exhaust from drum and full cfm from cooling tray at end of roast.
-Added feet to base

Today I did the first roast after mod's and went great! Roasted 12 oz of a high grown Peruvian to first snips of C2 and tasted great brewing right out of the roaster.

Settings:
-Under drum heat set at 850 watts for duration of roast
-Radiant in-drum heat varied from 600 watts to as high as 1000 watts throughout roast.
-Control = manual with RoR meter (TC4) display. 5 min to 300F, 5 min to 1C, 3.5 min to first outliers of 2C.

In the next few posts I'll post some videos showing the mods.

Allen

Edited by allenb on 06/01/2012 9:59 PM

allenb
2nd Video

allenb
3rd Video

allenb
4th Video

allenb
5th Video

allenb
6th Video

JETROASTER
woohoo

Sounds like you still had a little power left over? Very nice!-Scott

allenb
Yes, a couple hundred underneath and around 400 radiant. We'll see how much of that we'll need for 16 oz batch. I'm hoping it will pull it off.

I was worried with the blower attached I might not be able to hear the pops but it was loud and clear for both first and the whisper ticks of 2C outliers.

One word of caution to anyone constructing a roaster using wood as I did for the base. If any sparks or tiny embers happen to hit the wood or MDF especially with an air stream across it you have the potential for a blast furnace real quick or worse, smoldering overnight and campfire in your shop while you're at work.

I used wood to try it out and will do sheet metal when I get ambitious but in the meantime I'm going to be very cautious. BBQ grill

Allen

allenb
Oh, I almost forgot to thank you Scott for the nice aluminum tubes you sent me! That's part of one of them hooked to the fill funnel.

Cheers

Allen

Lylabrown
Great Work! The mechanism for dumping the beans is brilliant. Looking at the front face you'd never think that the whole thing slides out then tips forward. Dang. That must've been a challenge to engineer.

Thanks for posting videos. Its great to see the mechanics in motion.

Russ

allenb

Lylabrown wrote:

Great Work! The mechanism for dumping the beans is brilliant. Looking at the front face you'd never think that the whole thing slides out then tips forward. Dang. That must've been a challenge to engineer.

Thanks for posting videos. Its great to see the mechanics in motion.

Russ

Thanks for the complement Russ. Actually, the tilting with sliding front was much easier than I imagined it would be. The hard part was finding compression springs that were low enough tension and the right length to close tight enough but not cause the roaster to slide forward when dumping.

I'll have to say, the engineering you've put into your 3 barrel beauty is to be commended! Looking forward to seeing live roasting footage!

Allen

John Despres
One word. WOW!!!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

coffeeroastersclub

allenb wrote:

3rd Video

Allen, very ingenious pre-exhaust motor chaff collector.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

seedlings
INNOVATION abounds!
woohoo

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

allenb
I'm getting close to wrapping up the conversion of my Easydrum 1 lb drum roaster from electric to gas (propane).

The conversion included a Kelly Pneumatics mini proportional solenoid valve http://www.kpiweb...s-MPV.html controlled by a TC4C with Roastlogger with a driver circuit in between designed by Stan (rustic_roaster). Thanks Stan! Your design worked perfectly with no tweaks.

Principle of operation is as follows:

The TC4C's output normally intended for driving an SSR (pulsed 5 vdc on/off is sent to the driver board which outputs a higher and lower user adjustable voltage to the proportional solenoid giving you a high-state and low-state gas output every time the TC4C cycles on/off. You could compare the operation to how a TC4C controls an electric element via SSR but instead of on/off we're cycling the burner between low fire and high fire so the burner doesn't need to be re-lit during each on-cycle.

Once you've set your low and high burner output levels via two, front panel accessible variable resistors, then the TC4C will vary the duty cycle (% of time at high fire versus low fire) as needed to maintain setpoint while in PID mode or to hold % output when in manual mode in Roastlogger.

The burner is just 1/2" iron pipe with hacksaw slots every 1/2" or so throughout the flame length. The orifice/venturi is from an old Bernzomatic soldering torch and is mounted to the rear of the roaster. (photos to come soon).

Other parts of the conversion will follow soon as well with photos.

Here's a video of the burner in action:

tiopaeng
WOW! that's really a great design, combination chaff collector and bean cooler. INGENIOUS!

Tiopaeng

Ringo
I will second WOW, that looks really nice. Build Me One! I really like the burner off to the side I think it will roast great like that. It takes much more work to build with a small footprint yours looks great.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

Dan
Now THAT's how to control a gas burner!
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

JETROASTER
Nice stuff Allen!

snwcmpr
That's nice Allen. You do good work.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

tamarian
Awesome, can't wait to see more! Where's that Kelly valve?
Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F

allenb
Wow, huge thanks for all the attaboys! This has been a super fun and very rewarding project. It's nice to see a design idea come together and work without much tweaking and re-doing over and over.

Tamarian, I'll try and shoot the rear end tonight (the roasters) and show the valve, burner and piping arrangement.

Allen

Jump to Forum: