Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

09/28/2020 9:48 AM
Working on site improvements, bare with me. smoking

09/28/2020 8:58 AM
Where are the old themes ?!!! Shock

09/28/2020 12:46 AM
Made some changes, shoutbox was working without verification.

09/27/2020 2:53 PM
A lot of shoutbox spam attacks lately. roar

08/28/2020 7:15 PM
I have updated my signature and added links to the KKTO roaster build

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,750
Newest Member: MdMinar
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
It even makes it into a novel!
ginny
Simply had to post this and laughed out loud when I read about the secret coffee Jimmy's old fiend Sol gave him to drink.

" I apologized about the disconnected phone call. He frowned and commented about someone who didn't know me might feel as if I had hung up on him. I chuckled. "Imagine" that," I said. We shared the donuts, washibng them down with a gallon of Sol's special grind of Kopi Luwak coffee. He wouldn't tell me the secret method that the growers in Sumatra employed in the bean's preparation. But I didn't care how it was made, the coffee tasted great."

This quote came from "The Brimstone Murders," a novel by Jeff Sherratt.

http://jeffsherratt.com

Jimmy O' Brien is a 1970's cop turned lawyer who is quirky, crazy and funny! Jeff uses a good amount of honest humor in this series about Jimmy O' Brien and trouble he gets himself into...

yes I asked Jeff for his permission to post this quote.
jkoll42
I hope the rest of the novel wasn't as crappy as that quote

:mooning:
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
seedlings
That coffee will not make it to my 'Bucket List"

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
Army Coffee
Has anyone ever tried it??? Seriously, how bad can it be? I have seen and done worse...Just saying!
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67
John Despres
Drew, Kopi Luwak, "processed" by the civets cat isn't very good because of the indiscriminate choices of the animal.

The only thing it knows is ripe cherries. Doesn't matter what type of bean it is - could be Robusta or just about any other bean found in the forest. The roasting takes care of any remaining, um, well, you get it. Besides, the beans are washed before sale.

That's the coffee from the wild. However, these days due to the outrageous prices charged, Kopi Luwak "farms" have popped up everywhere. The animals are caged and force-fed pounds upon pounds of cherries. In most cases nothing else is fed to the cats.

Nice huh? At $300.00 per pound, I'd rather spend it on an honestly grown and processed product sold at auction. Save your money for a high-end Cup of Excellence.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
Randy G
The price is ridiculous, the quality not good enough to even call it questionable, and the abuse the animals are put through a sad statement about how our species treats other species with which we share this planet.

But, if you are interested, I can have fresh Alsatian Arabica processed and mailed fresh to you. With two German Shepherds in the house with ravenous appetites, it shouldn't be a problem. :yuck:

No? How about some Randy Robusta? :naughty:

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.
jkoll42
Drew

Me and a buddy split a pound of green (brown?) kopi from a reputable source over at gcbc a couple of years back. We figured for $30 each, how often could you try the 'most expensive' of something. I really wasn't expecting much and got exactly that. It is an extremely flat taste which is odd since it has a 'wild' profile from the variety of random beans in it. It's not wild like a sumatra though. It's kind of like listening to music with ear plugs in.... everything is muted and dull. It was not bad, it was not good. Like you, I have eaten much worse.

Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
ginny
jkoll42:

Your comment is what happens when quotes are taken out of context.

Jeff is a well respected writer who writes in the first person as Jimmy O' Brien, quirky lawyer.

I am a voracious reader; I read everything from Ayn Rand to Zebra Facts - articles, novels, the classic's, assorted mags and rags and poetry. ( I am a closet poet.)

Last week was some Flannery O'Conner and the best books ever written about
one of the most outrageous racist's of our time,

Forced into Glory: Abraham Lincoln's White Dream - Lerone Bennett Jr

With this new Lincoln movie coming out everyone should read it and I am still amazed why scholars still skate around the real Lincoln.

-g
Grin
ginny
That coffee is HORRID.

Now poopie lukie for me again.

-gRoflmao
jkoll42
Ginny - I think my comment was misinterperated. It was not meant to be a criticism on the authors style of writing in the quote. I put 'crappy' in italics in an attempted play on words since the quote references coffee that is pooped out and with humorous hopes that the novel was not 'crappy' like the coffee referenced is.

No disrespect meant to Jeff, maybe it was funnier in my own head.

Jon
-Jon
seedlings

jkoll42 wrote:
Ginny - I think my comment was misinterperated. It was not meant to be a criticism on the authors style of writing in the quote. I put 'crappy' in italics in an attempted play on words since the quote references coffee that is pooped out and with humorous hopes that the novel was not 'crappy' like the coffee referenced is.

No disrespect meant to Jeff, maybe it was funnier in my own head.

Jon

I thought it was hilarious. Subtle / dry / sarcastic humor is my favorite. The easily offended are... well, easily offended, but around here the attitudes are quite agreeable!

Ginny!!!!!!!!!!!! Roflmao

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 02/15/2012 10:04 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
ginny
Jon,

Me thinks I read too fast. Sorry about, now looking it is clear what you meant.

Roflmao

Love ya

Ginny

Thanks Jon for your continued participation in the forums.

That stuff does taste crappy!
Army Coffee
All;

Was not looking to start a heated argument here, but I was really curious if the cost was really worth it. I guess the same could be said about JBM. There seems to be so many great coffees out there , why spend $$$ for something just because someone has labeled it Rare and Exotic.

I will say the same about cigars. There are some unbelievable cigars out there that go for big money...Problem is that I can find great ones for WAY LESS.

Terrible about disreputable business practices.

If you want a real argument...

WHAT IS THE BEST COFFEE FOR THE MONEY???

Grin
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67
JETROASTER

Army Coffee wrote:
All;

WHAT IS THE BEST COFFEE FOR THE MONEY???

Grin

.....Mine! -Scott

Kidding! Lately, the best beans for the money have come thru Chad!
Edited by JETROASTER on 02/15/2012 3:52 PM
jedovaty

Army Coffee wrote:
((snip)) I was really curious if the cost was really worth it.

Sometimes, it's not a matter of "worth it", but rather becomes "just because I can". Grin
ginny
If you want something buy it regardless of what anyone says, period!

Drew said:

Has anyone ever tried it??? Seriously, how bad can it be? I have seen and done worse...Just saying!

Frankly Drew it tastes like shit! Not worth a dime but it all goes back to taste, your taste. I was not impressed at all by the coffee or cost. There are so many people who feel they get more if they pay more. How dumb is that?

If you want to talk Champagne we may battle...

Have a great week and if you find some pookie lukie, try it.

-g

still Roflmao
jkoll42
Yeah, 'worth it' is pretty subjective. It's not worth it to spend the money based on taste.... at all. Frankly based on taste it's probably worth the current coffee C future price. That being said, if you can get it green from a non shady source, split it with someone and try it once for the experience and like jedovaty said 'just because you can' it's worth it IMHO.

Going from one heated discussion to another, best coffee for the money. I'm not gonna give you the answer you're probably looking for but it's any coffee that really makes me pause and think (good thoughts) about it. Something that excites me. If it is a couple bucks more a pound thats not too significant to me. The last coffee that I was happy I spent every penny for was that Kenya from this years bean swap. Not cheap but for me the best value cause it was so d*** great.
-Jon
ginny
This thread is very funny because I figured there may be a couple of reads and no posts.

Who would have imagined all of this over pookie lukie?

-gShock
jkoll42
Ginny - you really have gone too far this time. You Fedex the poopy beans to me, have the guy throw it over my fence, somehow get Army Coffee to light it on fire which gets on my shoes...... but to top it all off you send me UNWASHED sooper poopie lukie! Arrgh!

farm8.staticflickr.com/7056/6883633681_e8b797d9e0_b.jpg

-Jon
ginny
Jon, dear one,

I am way too old for you but you are for sure my kinda guy! Too much fun.

You made my day.

love ya,

ginny

still Roflmao

my dogs are looking at me in a funny way.
Does that mean they will poopie lukie up some for us?

still hiding behind the palm.
Jump to Forum: