Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rwanda Bulk Buy in the Cup
seedlings
Roasted my first sample of the Rwanda this morning in the popper, as a test, and wanted to report results. I like the way this particular Poppery II roasts, a little slower than some of the others. It took 6:30 to the start first crack, and first crack ended about 7:00, and I stopped the roast at 7:30. City roast was my goal, and this is pretty close.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Rwanda.jpg

Ground and brewed right away (because we were out of roasted coffee!!!)

Grounds did not have the usual hint of 'this coffee needs more rest' kind of green-ness, rather gave a sharp, lovely, apricot or apple kind of aroma. In the cup I'm sipping kind of a pineapple caramel sweetness, lots of florals, and maybe a little butterscotch. As it cools, some mandarin tart orange shows up just a little bit. It has a solid body and a lingering lightly sweet, dark caramelized sugar.

Now, when you read this, what I'm really thinking is, "this coffee tastes really good, especially with no rest at all." Then I sip and slurp and close my eyes and try to figure out what those good flavors are, or what they remind me of. Your experience will vary. It was supposed to have orange, vanilla and raspberry, and I definitely get vanilla, and perhaps the pineapple is a combo of orange and raspberry? Who knows. It tastes good though!

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 02/15/2012 10:05 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ginny
CHAD:

Now that is my kind of roast. Yummmm...

g

Cam
Wet, cold and rainy here otherwise I would roast some tonight....it sounds wonderful.

mk1
Chad,
Just finished the first roast and if I can go by color, to about the same degree as shown in your post. I've been reading the Willem Boot articles so first I grabbed a handful to assess moisture content, guessed about 13%
On that assumption and Willem's advice I gave it a little bit of a slower drying phase to yellow, then pushed at about 30F RoR to 1C, dropped to 5F RoR for 3M and dumped at 12M. The roasting aromas were very fruity with no "wood" type smell. I will wait 2 days if I can. I think the Rwandan is even more aromatic than your Ethiopian A1 Harrar if that's possible. Outstanding!

Thanks,
Mark
Edited by mk1 on 02/15/2012 10:35 PM

seedlings

mk1 wrote:
Chad,
Just finished the first roast and if I can go by color, to about the same degree as shown in your post. I've been reading the Willem Boot articles so first I grabbed a handful to assess moisture content, guessed about 13%
On that assumption and Willem's advice I gave it a little bit of a slower drying phase to yellow, then pushed at about 30F RoR to 1C, dropped to 5F RoR for 3M and dumped at 12M. The roasting aromas were very fruity with no "wood" type smell. I will wait 2 days if I can. I think the Rwandan is even more aromatic than your Ethiopian A1 Harrar if that's possible. Outstanding!

Thanks,
Mark

IMHO, don't wait!

I roasted another test batch, this time to 8:30 in the popper. After first crack I sniffed aromas constantly until I discerned a hint of change, then stopped the roast. This time approaching Full City (but with no signs of second crack). I will say it has lost much of those aromas!

Keep this one light as practical for your roaster.

CHAD

oldgearhead
I roasted 2 pounds of it yesterday. It dries very quickly,I was using my data from a Peru SHG, I pulled the first first pound at 12 minutes, and it looks like Starbucks. I stopped the second batch at 10 minutes and its a a nice full-city.
I plan to dry at 900 watts instead of 1200 watts next time.
I sampled a taste this AM:
I'm NOT a cupper, but...sorgummmm....
Edited by oldgearhead on 02/17/2012 7:20 AM
No oil on my beans...

Gregman
So got my stash on Wednesday roasted yesterday.
If I did not know the origin looking at the beans and the way they roast, I would have guessed a Kenya?

12 hour rest and about the same as you Chad maybe a little darker?
This was a slow roast 6 min to dry, 6 to change color, 3+ for the 1st crack.

Not a very strong aroma from the grounds just earth and chocolate.

Cup smells like a Yemen somewhat, dark chocolate, caramel and slightly floral.

Taste is very complex up front a sort of caramel-date sweetness.
In the middle earthy and dark chocolate flavors.
Big juicy body on this one. The end haunts your palate coating and lingering like a Yemen. There some other light fruit flavor but I just can't describe it? Yum think I'll have another.

Thanks Chad I look forward to playing with this one!
Glad I got 10lbs.
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!

sabalism
I roasted a couple batches yesterday. Today I drank one taken to full city with a single audible second crack before a 1 minute cool.

And it's different. Chewed, warm, beans were really I tense and roasty. Definitely bittersweet is the predominant note I picked up. I got no fresh fruit or berries and I was just a bit dissatisfied. However, in the cup after a 16 hour rest, the FC roast (EDIT : juat realized this report is for the C+ roast. Derp.) is worlds better than I imagined yesterday. It honestly reminds me of a Sumatran on steroids. There's more body and acidity but the same earthiness and toasted flavors are present. These are not flavors my roaster highlights, so to find so much of them tells me it's it's the bean. FYI, I love Sumatrans and I love body so this is a big win for me. i definitely need to work on the profiling more to coax out any nuanced flavors present but I think all in all I'm going to really enjoy this lot. I did fond a lot of beans with one end crusty and eroded which I find in a lot of Sumatran. I did not pre-roast cull these. I had zero quakers out of five ounces I roasted. The beans have a pretty uniform appearance after roasting, much more than Kenyans I've had, and there is significant size differences between beans. Post-roast, I measured beans ranging from 5-16mm and everything in between. I wonder if the small beans roasting faster accounts for the I tense roasted flavors in the cup. I will grade one pound into three sizes and roast to similar levels and see.

I'll brew up the one taken at city+ and see how it compares. I didn't fond any of the fruit Chad found but also see his note to go light as possible. maybe I'll fond it in that cup.

My profiles were
city+ : preheat to 375, drop load, temp sank to 230, 4 minutes to 305, 5 to 380, first crack at 9:02, ends at 10:15 temp of 396, ROR 6/min to finish at 12:35 with no second cracks, dump and cool quickly.

FC : preheat to 360, drop load, temp sank to 220, 4:25 to 320, 4:35 to 381, first crack at 8:59, ended 11:08 temp of 390, ROR 7/min to 408, ROR 3/min to 417, second crack, dump and cool quickly.

Note all temps from a ss probe which only sees bean contact after first crack when expansion sets in.

Thanks Chad so far I like this lot.
Edited by sabalism on 02/17/2012 11:56 AM

sabalism
Ok now I had to brew up the FC Grin

I like it better . It is syrupy and thick and the taste lasts forever. Their is simply a ton of sugars in these beans. And a great balance of acidity on this roast. This is not a flat coffee at all. I'm getting true cinnamon, bergamot, unripe plum and apricot jam, grape skin,and blackstrap molasses. The flavor opened up considerably after cooling to a temperature around 115. Im still finding more similarities to the Indian and Sumatran coffees I've roasted than the NE Africans, but I'm pretty inexperienced for what it's worth. J

oldgearhead
yep, ..sorgum molasses..

No oil on my beans...

seedlings
Roasted two pounds last night in the regular air roaster. I tried real hard to keep it fast like my first popper roast. 9:20 to 423F. Something is different though. Florals are there. Butterscotch is there. Aahh, the difference: the pineapple has been roasted on the BBQ. Maybe temps too high and slightly scorched? Dunno, but it's dang good as it is, just not quite as snappy.

CHAD

JackH
I did a Rwanda roast today on the Turbo Crazy and new control of the heater with a SSR and Cataui. Went about 2 /12 minutes after 1C with a steady RoR. Warmer today in the garage 50F. Looks good will see tomorrow how it tastes. Click on the image for a larger view.
JackH attached the following image:
roast201202171218-5099web.jpg

Edited by JackH on 02/17/2012 4:20 PM

jedovaty
This bean appears to roast very quickly, at least in my roaster, thought I messed it up trying to slow down as it went far faster than my three prior roasts (did a marathon roast, started with columbian, then sumatran, yirg,and ended with rwandan). 8'30" to FC, pulled at 9'30". Per recommendations here, I didn't wait and made myself a cup about an hour later, and wow, it was very different: someone above wrote "a lot of sugars". I agree! It's dark, too, is that "earthy" ?

ajrunningbiking
Roasted 3 - 1/2 lb batches yesterday. City+, full City and light vienna. Cupped them this morning, though I was a bit hurried in my effort, was VERY happy with the results. The rest was about 15 hours or so. The City roast was the most developed of the three, though none were bad roasts. Definitely caramel, maybe light molasses flavor in the background, even for the city+. Definitely floral in the aroma with what I thought was some citrus notes.

The FC and Vienna need another day of rest, maybe 2. Once I think they have hit their peak, I will try and remember to post some notes.

Here is my profile for the City Roast in Celsius.

Pre-heat: 150
1:00 - 120
2:00 - 160
3:00 - 176
4:00 - 184
5:00 - 192
6:00 - 205
7:00 - 214 1C Start
8:00 - 220 1C ended 8:05
9:00 - 224
10:00 - 229
Dropped

mk1
I never tasted coffee with such residual sweetness. I didn't get a lot of fruitiness at City+ but maybe the best lingering flavor I've had. Thanks Chad

JackH
Interesting article from Sweet Marias about stretching the roast and they use a Rwanda coffee for the test. http://www.sweetm.../node/2934

To me, this coffee is very similar to Burundi. I am getting a strong cocoa flavor after 2 days rest. I am not very good at picking out the flavors, but I thought the molasses was stronger after the first day, then seemed to turn to a more dark cocoa.
Edited by JackH on 02/20/2012 9:20 AM

wsikes
Drinking some this morning after ~15 hours rest and it is good. I'm sure it will be even better tomorrow. Still trying to wrap my arms around roasting these small beans. I thought I had really over roasted this batch, but apparently not. Gonna try a different profile next batch and try to slow things down.
William Sikes

CoryM
OK, here's my effort. I'm new to all of this and very used to overly roasted coffee. I'm not sure if my taste buds understand lighter roasted fruity coffee. I'm roasting using my newly converted BM/HG roaster (which i really like BTW), but without any temp monitoring in place yet.

Here's what I came up with:

Both batches were 540grams and the temp in my garage was in the low 40's.
I went full HG until middle of FC and then dropped back to low for the remainder of the roast.
Both were cooled in about 1.5 minutes. The picture is of batch #2, but they both look about the same. I think I hit about a City + if I'm getting it right.

Batch #1:
8:20 - FC
9:50 - FC Ends
12:30 - Drop (no 2nd crack sounds)

Batch #2:
9:30 - FC
11:00 - FC Ends
13:30 - Drop (no 2nd crack sounds)

After about 15 hours rest, I made a cup of each this morning.

Batch #1 is very bright, but definitely has an orange/citrus quality to it. The body is light and the finish is long with a tartness to it that wasn't foul but not sure I liked it. Overall not bad, but I'm not sur this flavor is what I like.

Batch #2 The same bright notes were present but mellowed a bit. Overall, the cup seemed more balanced and had a bit more cocoa/caramel flavor going on which helped with the brightness. Finish is similart to #1 but the tartness was more subdued. Much better to my tastes, but not sure if I'm just used to more roast in the cup.
CoryM attached the following image:
rwanda_inzovu.jpg

jedovaty
Interesting how most of us are hitting first crack between 8'30" and 9'30". For those of you letting a light roast rest.. next batch, try brewing a cup within a few hours of the roast without rest as suggested by Chad.. it's unbelievable. :) Those new roast flavors seem to mute with rest.

seedlings
Great discussion all! I believe this illustrates the 'art' of roasting coffee. Now, when I say 'art' some of us read 'correct way'. But, no! When I say 'art' I mean it like Picasso or Hendrix or Hawthorne.

CHAD

sabalism

seedlings wrote:
Great discussion all! I believe this illustrates the 'art' of roasting coffee. Now, when I say 'art' some of us read 'correct way'. But, no! When I say 'art' I mean it like Picasso or Hendrix or Hawthorne.

CHAD

Definitely. And a similar comparison : this coffee seems more like a full set of oil paints than a 16 count box of crayons. While both media will allow someone to draw a tree, the oil set will certainly require more understanding of light and shadow and spectrum to take full advantage of extra possibilities. These have significant nuances ( well that's almost an oxymoron) and are going to show off differently for each roaster , even using the same machines.

Also, I can't help but wish I'd claimed twice as much of this. It kills some of the coffees I've spent much more on as far as enjoyment and interest. And yeah, it is just awesome freshly roasted when it's cooled just enough to not gum up your grinder. How are you all brewing this? I'm not really finding it at it's best in a FP but in a siphon it is unbelievable as well as very good in a CCD. Really tempted to take 40 grams to a local barista and pay full price to try a double shot lol. J

JETROASTER
City w/ 2 days rest>>>super -auto espresso.
In your face molasses!!!
It looks darker than it tastes. A very nice little bean.
Thanks Chad! -Scott

oldgearhead
This is the very BEST coffee I've had in 2011-2012.
Thanx Chad!

No oil on my beans...

seedlings

oldgearhead wrote:
This is the very BEST coffee I've had in 2011-2012.
Thanx Chad!

I think so too, and after her first cup, my wife says, "this is my favorite coffee yet". However, I have yet to replicate in my 2lb roaster what the popper does... frustrating!

CHAD

CoryM
OK, with another day of rest this coffee is great. The blend of cocoa and molasses/maple syrup is now wonderfully balanced with the citrus notes. The tartness i noticed in the finish is now gone.

After roasting and drinking fresh great coffee for a couple of months now, I'm amazed by the experience. The way slight tweaks in the roasting process change the flavor in the cup, then how that cups rises and falls in the following days, and finally, in a single cup, the experience changes from the first sip to the last.

Store and *$ coffee is just so boring now.

Jump to Forum: