Print Thread
Weather, Data Logging, etc
jzuzphreek
Hi all. I'm pretty new to roasting, but I've been getting the hang of it. I don't have a large budget, but I've grown to enjoy my time outside with my spoon, my bowl, and my heat gun. Living in New Orleans, and having a covered patio, weather isn't much of a concern for me, as far as my ability to go outside and roast. My problem is that when we do have a cold snap (like last weekend), I don't have an effective way to retain heat in my bowl. My 3/4 lb roast took 17 minutes just to reach first crack, and 31 minutes overall! And that was just to the onset of 2nd crack! The flavor of the coffee wasn't "bad" but I wouldn't call it good either.

So my question is this, what sort of thermometer tools should I look into? I know I need to monitor the ambient temperature in and around the bowl, but I also need to monitor the temperature of the beans. Since I'm bound to manually stirring, thermometers tend to get in the way. What are my options? Any advice is MUCH appreciated.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

JimG
I built a few insulated steel bowls with thermocouples welded to them. The thermocouple is on the bottom, outside of the main bowl. Then there is an insulated air space around 1/8" thick between the main bowl and the outside bowl. So the thermocouple is protected, and the bowl is insulated.

So...I was pretty sure these bowls would be the Next Great Thing for home roasters. Wrong.

Now, the Next Great Thing for me would be to get them outta here because they are taking up room on my overflowing shelves.

I also have a never-used type K digital thermometer (the one Sweet Maria's sells) that works with the thermocouple on the steel bowl.

Because the bowl is fairly thin, the thermocouple is mostly measuring the bean temperature. And I was able to get pretty good results. Read more about it here:
http://www.home-b...t5378.html

I would be pleased to send you the bowl for the cost of shipping it from Kentucky to New Orleans (probably around $7 via Priority Mail??).

I'd also be happy to make you a really good deal on the thermometer if you want it:
http://www.sweetm...ouple.html

Jim

jzuzphreek
Jim I ACCEPT! I'll PM you details. But that seems like too great a deal to pass up. And my wife will get her new mixing bowl back! She'll be thrilled. :BigHug:
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

sierranomad
I recommend that you seriously consider upgrading to a breadmaker. I've heard that they can be found in thrift shops cheap. SO much easier than in stainless steel bowl. Also, you can put a lid on it and have more heat control. If you are able to set up something to attach your HG to you can do it that much easier. No need to rewire the breadmaker (either wait past the "rest cycle" to start roasting or press "stop" and then "start" when the initial 5 minutes of mixing ends.)

I've been making modifications to my BM, experimenting. When I come up with the best end product I'll post here.

I went from about 30 minutes in SS bowl to 13 minutes in the breadmaker.
Edited by sierranomad on 02/18/2012 7:57 AM
Jon

Jump to Forum: