Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

homeroaster
10/04/2022 7:11 PM
I'm still alive. Haven't posted here for a while. Still roasting about 20 lb a week. Life is good. Find me on Facebook.

allenb
10/03/2022 3:29 PM
carloswlkr Welcome

allenb
10/03/2022 12:06 PM
HI Michael, go to consumer zone, java trading company and first post is basic rules. PM me with any needed clarifications. Cheers

Michael Kirkpatrick
10/03/2022 11:47 AM
Good morning! what would be the best way to post a coffee roaster for sale? Thanks

renatoa
10/03/2022 2:12 AM
@ittiponcr and welcome cup adrianalindgren

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 15

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,668
Newest Member: carloswlkr

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
First crack at a Gene Cafe profile
truk

Army Coffee wrote:

Preheat to 400, then dump in the beans and warm them up at 350 for 4:00

I let the Gene Cafe Ramp it up to 482 until first crasck and that is usually around 11:30 to 12:00.

Once I hear First Crack, I let it stay on 482 for 40 sec and then turn it down to 456 until I get to my desired roast

Color, smell, chaff all weigh in to when I decide to pull the roast. Typically I pull the batch as soon as I hear 2nd Crack start, but some beans recommend a lighter roast and I pull it before. Second Crack seems to happen around the 16:30 to 17:00.

I always emergency Stop and Dump my Beans onto a Pan that sits on the Back of a Fan!

Army Coffee,

I have a question, you say 11:30 to 12:00 mins in is approx 1c and 16:30 to 17 is approx 2c. Does your time (in this example) start when you throw the beans in the preheated GC?
Thank the Lord for my family.

donutslayer
Wow, I just found this forum and most of my questions have already been answered. The roasting profiles are exactly what I have been looking for so that I can stop twisting knobs in hopes for the best.

Unfortunately this leads me to more questions. Looking the profile for Sumatra Mandheling, was a preheat session used since the first notes were entered in at 5:30. Also what is the significance of "Bump"? Thank you in advance

John Despres
Welcome! Thanks for joining us.

"Bump" means to raise the temperature. Bump the temp up to 460F. Drop means just that; drop the temp.

Keep posting questions.

Have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

donutslayer
Thank you. ah, that makes me feel pretty dumb that I did not realize that one. I assume that since there are not any initial entries into the temp field for 0:00 to 5:00 that preheating was not used for Sumatra Mandheling?

John Despres
If you're speaking of Eddie's profiles, I think the preset temp may have been 300F and the roast started at that temp.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

donutslayer
Yes, those are the ones that I downloaded from the download section. Thank you, I am going to give one a shot now!

Jump to Forum: