Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,788
Newest Member: ediblemanager

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Wearever 72000 Pumper question
cruisaire
I just got mine (late to the party as usual) and would like to separate the heater and fan. This was easy on my Poppery I, but I'm looking all over the net and can't find it for my pumper. Any help? Thanks!
Edited by cruisaire on 02/29/2012 7:17 AM

DavidG
Welcome aboard, Cruisaire!

I have a couple of Pumpers and like them alot. They are just as functional as the Popperies, but don't seem to get the same acclaim.

Separating circuits was very easy to do... in fact, I recall following the Poppery I diagrams and advice with very little variation.

Both of my Pumpers (1400 and 1250) are separated and work great.

Give it a shot. If you get stumped, there are lots of kind folks here that can help you along.

Cheers,
David
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

seedlings
Could you be more specific about the differences? Perhaps your pumper has 2 heat coils. One heats the beans and the other drops voltage to the motor. As David said, this is easily overcome. A small (24v? 48v?) transformer should serve you well.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

jkoll42
Does yours have an AC or DC fan motor?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

cruisaire
Mine has the ac motor. I've separated the thermostat wiring so there's no connection. There is a small black wire formerly connected there. I'm thinking this may be part of the separation for the fan from the heater. I'm lookng for an always on fan (like .my Poppery I)
"Even little kids in Mexico drink coffee".

jkoll42
There used to be a site that showed it, but it was on an old host and appears to be down. The concept is the same as the poppery but you would have to trace the wires. I have one at home, but it is still in one piece , unlike my poppery :)
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

jzuzphreek
With regards to jkoll's repsonse, Google caches websites, and often you can find a snap shot of an old page that does not exist anymore. It's a bit of a stretch, but I've used this method a few times for finding old information.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

jkoll42
waybackmachine was giving me nothing this morning when I checked but it must have just been tired. Archive is back in business this afternoon.

http://web.archiv...mods.shtml

I think that may be what your looking for.

Jon
-Jon

cruisaire
Jon,

Many, many thanks!!!!!!

JackH
The fan motor looks heavy duty in that pumper. I have never seen that type of unit. Glad there is an archive of this still around. Interesting...

cruisaire
Here's a shot of the 8mm x 8mm steel set screw that I use to block the "butter hole". No tapping was required and the screw was less than a buck at home depot.

cruisaire
Butterhole

img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/cruisaire/Popcorn%20Pumper%201400/IMAG0223.jpg

Fan Always On Wiring

img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/cruisaire/Popcorn%20Pumper%201400/IMAG0224.jpg
Edited by cruisaire on 03/03/2012 1:57 PM

seedlings
How much increased pressure did you get after blocking the butter hole?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

cruisaire
I don't have a velocity meter that would read across this narrow/short chamber, but I'm confident in estimating it at 15% to 25% more air movement/bean motion.
Edited by cruisaire on 03/05/2012 5:14 PM

wsikes
I plugged the hole in my 73000 Pumper with aluminum foil and it made quite a difference.
William Sikes

jedovaty
Hi, I'm a little late to the party.. sounds like you're making progress and maybe you've already run across this site:
http://sites.goog...cornpumper
I found a pumper at the goodwill store last year, first time I ever took something apart on my own, cleaned it up, and used it to make a few batches before starting my kkto build. I used linked-to website to help :)

cruisaire
Thanks for the info! I did see that site before (when I was using a DC motor unit) but moved to the Poppery I and original Pumper after several thrift store units burned out quickly. I have to say that this "older" 72000 Pumper is built solid and runs strong.

jedovaty
Cool, didn't realize there were multiple pumper models!
Edited by jedovaty on 03/12/2012 9:36 AM

cruisaire
Here's the JC Penney version of the first Pumper.....1400 watts of diecast joy. I have one of each. The Wear Ever is wired fan always on, heat controlled by switch, and thermal bypassed. The JC Penney is fan and heat controlled by switch with the thermal bypassed.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/cruisaire/th_KGrHqFHJCcE8fZyqIBPOZGj1Q-g60_57.jpg
Edited by cruisaire on 03/14/2012 1:21 PM

cruisaire
The JC Penneys unit is a real sleeper on that popular auction site.

Toney
Ah, the pumper. I have a couple. I like the upper part that is easily held on to while roasting. I modified mine with a fan-always-on switch and a second heat switch. I removed thermostat, and kept the thermo fuse in. One day I blew the thermo fuse and removed it. But I'm thinking of wiring in a resettable thermo fuse.

Others have posted instructions for wiring. Make sure you use appliance wire if you're wiring inside the heater unit. Also, don't use solder. It will melt and throw lead into your beans (I learned this the hard way). Learn how to use clips to make your connections. Not difficult, and quicker, and neater.

I use a soup can chimney with dial thermo punched in. To control the air flow, I attached a piece of card board to the end of my stiring stick. Works great.

One thing: I'm learning to control the air better. Before, I tipped the roaster to the side a bit to let air flow out. But now I think this dries out the beans too much, or oxidizes them too mcuh. Now, the roaster is nearly vertical, creating a fluid motion in the beans that I stir with the stirring stick. It reminds me of a roasting chamber now.

Good luck,
Toney

Jump to Forum: