topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
02/04/2023 1:40 PM
Welcome, ediblemanager

allenb
02/02/2023 4:22 PM
bcoffeedrinker Welcome

renatoa
01/31/2023 1:17 AM
pouringZabbaskeema

renatoa
01/29/2023 4:55 AM
Welcome, drygrounds and CarlHaberfeld,

renatoa
01/28/2023 5:42 AM
ramsamorrow, VirTERM and Columbia, coffee drink

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 13

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,788
Newest Member: ediblemanager

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
3" Pyrex tubes
cruisaire
For use as a chimney. Has anyone here sourced these? I know a cut soup can will work, but it won't let me see as much inside the roast. I tried a cheap lantern chimney and after several roasts, it cracked at the base. Untempered glass is "uncool" when it fails! :@
"Even little kids in Mexico drink coffee".
 
greencardigan

Quote

cruisaire wrote:
For use as a chimney. Has anyone here sourced these? I know a cut soup can will work, but it won't let me see as much inside the roast. I tried a cheap lantern chimney and after several roasts, it cracked at the base. Untempered glass is "uncool" when it fails! :@

The replacement globes for gas lanterns should work well. You can find these in a variety if sizes. I'm getting another 2 today for a roast chamber I'm building.

Just make sure you they have room to expand as they get hot. The glass will expand at a different rate to metals.
 
BenGeldreich
i bought a LWG1C globe from http://www.oillam...age27.html
I also sourced a longer glass chimney at Michaels http://www.michae... which is a craft store here in Canada. If you have a local craft store check in the candle making department.
Edited by BenGeldreich on 03/04/2012 11:01 PM
--------

Ben

Turbo Oven Roaster w/ Variac, TC4Cw/ Bourbon | Bezzera Strega | Baratza Vario Grinder | Yama 5 Cup Syphon | Aeropress
 
lmclaren
I second greencardigan,

You can pick them up at camping stores, normally made from low expansion glass so that expansion is not so much a problem.

From Wikipedia:
"Borosilicate glass is a type of glass with the main glass-forming constituents silica and boron oxide. Borosilicate glasses are known for having very low coefficients of thermal expansion (~3 ? 10−6 /?C at 20?C), making them resistant to thermal shock, more so than any other common glass. Such glass is less subject to thermal stress and is commonly used for the construction of reagent bottles. Borosilicate glass is sold under such trade names as Pyrex and Simax."
 
cruisaire
Duly noted, I'll head to the outdoor store. Thanks again to all!!
"Even little kids in Mexico drink coffee".
 
Bob J
Is there any particular model of replacement lantern globes that you could recommend? I will be working on converting a poppery (when it comes in) and would like to use the pyrex tube instead of the can if possible....
 
Bob J

Quote

BenGeldreich wrote:
i bought a LWG1C globe from http://www.oillam...age27.html
I also sourced a longer glass chimney at Michaels http://www.michae... which is a craft store here in Canada. If you have a local craft store check in the candle making department.


Posted before I saw this..... Michaels is here in the US as well so will check them out..... Thanks and much appreciated!
 
oldgearhead
The 'Pyrex" baking tube 2.75" x 14" can usually be found on eBait.
oldgearhead attached the following image:
dsc_0261-2.jpg

No oil on my beans...
 
Bob J

Quote

oldgearhead wrote:
The 'Pyrex" baking tube 2.75" x 14" can usually be found on eBait.


Awesome! Thanks!

BTW, nice looking rig! :BowDown:
 
oldgearhead
The 2.75" x 14" tubes are called: "Pyrex Bake-A-Round'

No oil on my beans...
 
seedlings

Quote

cruisaire wrote:
For use as a chimney. Has anyone here sourced these? I know a cut soup can will work, but it won't let me see as much inside the roast. I tried a cheap lantern chimney and after several roasts, it cracked at the base. Untempered glass is "uncool" when it fails! :@


Those cheap lantern chimneys usually have trouble if they fit tight. Leave room for the glass to expand.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 03/06/2012 10:19 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
 
cruisaire
I went ahead and fell for the "top shelf" tubes. Fab a bracket next.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/cruisaire/IMAG0239.jpg
"Even little kids in Mexico drink coffee".
 
Bob J
Was able to score a pyrex tube (Bake a round Duo)....

Does anyone have any good ideas on how best to mount a thermocouple in one of these so I can get a good BT? Should I try and drill a hole in the tube?
 
oldgearhead
I located a very long TC and went in from the top. However, after I corolated thr BMT temps to my UTB (under-the-bean) probe, I no longer use the BMT probe very often.
oldgearhead attached the following image:
chaffcollecter_1.jpg

Edited by oldgearhead on 03/19/2012 7:15 AM
No oil on my beans...
 
seedlings

Quote

Bob J wrote:
Was able to score a pyrex tube (Bake a round Duo)....

Does anyone have any good ideas on how best to mount a thermocouple in one of these so I can get a good BT? Should I try and drill a hole in the tube?


Probably shouldn't drill a hole. Unless, perhaps, you have a local glass company drill it for you.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
 
Bob J

Quote

seedlings wrote:

Quote

Bob J wrote:
Was able to score a pyrex tube (Bake a round Duo)....

Does anyone have any good ideas on how best to mount a thermocouple in one of these so I can get a good BT? Should I try and drill a hole in the tube?


Probably shouldn't drill a hole. Unless, perhaps, you have a local glass company drill it for you.

CHAD


Thanks Chad! Was hoping that there was another way I could mount the TC to get a good read on the BT.... Looks like I can drop it down through the chaff collector I am thinking of building and that might do the trick....

Really didn't want to take a chance on damaging the tube.... These are way too hard to find....:|
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
"Well tempered roaster" more feedback Roasting Coffee 34 01/20/2023 2:30 AM
HotTop "D" to "B-K+" HotTop Roaster 6 06/20/2022 6:08 PM
With a "Fresh Roast SR800" in Arizona New Members say hello or you may update your profile. 1 12/23/2021 10:07 PM
Is automated Artisan PID control of a drum roaster a "fool's errand"? Drum Roasters 8 08/30/2021 5:47 AM
Pyrex Bake-Round Dimensions For 3D Printed Roast Chamber Mold New Members say hello or you may update your profile. 16 07/05/2021 8:16 PM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion Copyright © 2023 PHP-Fusion Inc
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3
Designed with by NetriX
Hosted by skpacman