Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 15

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,363
Newest Member: tarunk

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
safe, cheap bearing
sabalism
Hi. I'm in the process of a new roaster build and need two bearings. I'm leaning to a two screw flange bearing. I'm not opposed to a sleeve bearing and have access to a full machine shop if needed. These will be the two bearings which support and hold the drum in place. I think a set of flange bearings will aid in maintaining the drums position front to back within the roaster due to being able to use set screws. My questions are : a. Which materials are safe and cheap to use? b. Where is the cheapest source?

I know that at the minimum the bearing sleeve will be exposed to the heat trander via the shaft and that I will be able to make a close tolerance hole on the front and back plate which the shaft can pass through before entering the sleeve. Do I need to be concerned with the heat creating any fumes which may enter the roaster via negative pressure created by the ventilation/chaff removal set up?

Thanks in advance. J
allenb
I would suggest incorporating a double wall at the rear of the roaster with or without insulation (at least 1" deep) to reduce heat on drive components.

I would not worry at all about grease outgassing.

I've used these 2 hole flanged with shaft setscrews with good success and did not have to resort to high temp grease:

http://www.smallp...=0&y=0

These guys have lots of neat parts and good prices.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
Dan
I have seen flanged ball bearings bolted directly to the roaster end plates and they seem to work. I have no idea how their lifespan might be shortened by the heat. I would isolate/insulate heat transmission. Even just a piece of phenolic under the flange, and a tube of phenolic between shaft OD and bearing ID would help a great deal.

troposcuba
I was going to suggest having oilite bushings made, but I am not sure how it would do with the heat.
Sean
dja
after 34 years of working on asphalt plants and soil remediation plants I can tell you that the heat isn't going to hurt the bearings, you don't need to insulate under them, you should get sealed bearings and forget about greasing them, you will need to leave the set screws loose in one bearing for thermal expansion.

I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
Dan

You will need to leave the set screws loose in one bearing for thermal expansion.

Right. This is common practice in lathe headstocks and many shaft applications, the rear bearing floats.
oldgearhead
I found that cermic bearings hold up better than the 'stock'
ones in the Nesco. The Nesco bearing set is located directly in the heated air path...
No oil on my beans...
Ringo
When I built my gas fired drum I used cheap flange bearings, let the back float. I adjusted the front with spacers to adjust the gap between the drum and the face. I put 3/4 inch spacers in the hold the bearings off the drum for cooling. The bearings are not rated for the heat they are getting but they are holding up fine. I talked to a bearing supply house and they told me the rating is the plastic sheld on the bearing. It could melt. He said if it melts just remove it and grease at the start of a roasting section. I have around 100 roast on my drum now and the bearings are going strong. If I could have found a good ceramic bearing cheap I would have used it. The smaller footprint on the drum face would make fitting all the other parts on easier. There is a lot of parts fighting for the same aria in a true drum roaster. Make sure you use food safe grease on the bearings.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain
sabalism
Thanks a lot. I ended up with one really similar to the first link locally ordered, should be here Tuesday. I knew about the thermal expansion but thanks for noting that as my first attempt was without that knowledge and my motor died when the shaft seized. I'll look into ceramic ones next time. J
coffeeroastersclub
Ever think about graphite impregnated bronze bearings? I use the flanged sleeve type alot on rods. I get them at www.mcmaster.com
ThumbsUp

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
sabalism

coffeeroastersclub wrote:
Ever think about graphite impregnated bronze bearings? I use the flanged sleeve type alot on rods. I get them at www.mcmaster.com
ThumbsUp

Len

Yes I did but decided against them as I really need to lock the shaft via a set screw from longitudinal movement. They work great if this isn't a requirement. J
sabalism
Well never mind. My bearing arrived in beautiful cadmium coated stamped steel and was promptly refused. I'd have gone with the one Allen linked to but they only had one in stock. Grrrr . J
sabalism
I ended up with two .375" insert bearings with locking raceways. Tomorrow I get to watch my dad machine two stainless steel housing plates. It always amazes me to watch a solid block of metal become a shiny multi-faceted object of beauty. I'm about 90% finished with the roaster shell and drum and 60% done with the base. I hope to have a motor mount made and and the drum shaft and motor mated tomorrow.
Jamie - I like coffee.
Jump to Forum: