You must login to post a message.

10/18/2020 3:27 PM
How was the Uganda Bugisu Ken?

10/17/2020 7:46 PM
Roasted Ethiopian Burka Guidina Estate Natural Organic from Limmu

10/07/2020 9:13 AM
Happy Mug .. Uganda Bugisu on its way.

10/05/2020 2:44 PM
yes, big thanks for getting homeroasters upgraded and cleaned up! Remember, no less than 3 wheels!

10/03/2020 9:22 AM
Thank you for all that you do!!!

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,779
Newest Member: santicoffee
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Good Variac to increase Voltage?
Army Coffee
I have an opportunity to buy a STACO Variac here locally for a geat price but don't want to spend the money if it will not do what I need it to do.

Voltage here usually is between 119 and 121. I want to keep the Voltage at 121 during my roast.

Additionally, I will be moving again soon to a new Post and the power may not be as good so I am looking at the ability to add voltage from say 115 so that I can continue to operate at 121.

The below link is to the Variac that I can by for less than 100 Bucks.

IS THIS VARIAC GOOD??

http://www.iseincstore.com/3pn2210bvariabletransformer120vacsinglephaseinput0-140vacoutput22acasedmodelwithcordplugreceptaclelightedswitchandfuse.aspx
Edited by Army Coffee on 03/05/2012 7:51 PM
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67
allenb
I was not able to open the page from that link.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
Army Coffee
Not sure why...I had to paste it into a new window...

STACO 3PN2210B - Input Voltage:120VAC, OUTPUT VOLTAGE 0-140VAC, Output Current:22A, Constant Current Load:22A, Knob Rotation: CW, Transformer Mounting: Bench, Secondary Current Nom:10A, No. of Phases:1, Primary Voltages:1 x 120V

Dial only goes to 100 so I am not sure it will do what I need it to do in the event my Kill a Watt says I am at 118 Volts and need to get it to 121.

Thoughts???
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67
seedlings
A variac will not regulate voltage. If there are fluctuations to voltage in, there will be fluctuations to voltage out. The specs on that unit will give you an extra 16% boost in voltage, so you will be able to step up voltage, but if the line voltage changes during a roast, so will your roaster.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
oldgearhead
Yes, the Staco 3PN series have 17% boost.
Even though some are very old, they are considered to be the best
varible-autotransformers ever built. I have the 1.4 KVA version with the Triplett meter attached and it's great..
Edited by oldgearhead on 03/06/2012 9:01 AM
No oil on my beans...
jedovaty
Link works for me. Here you go, hyperlinked for you.
JackH
If you get one of those Kill-A-Watt meters and plug it into the Variac output, you can monitor the voltage and adjust as necessary. The older USA made units like the Staco and Superior Electric are the ones to get.
Edited by JackH on 03/06/2012 11:11 AM
ginny
Drew:

what are you talking about guy?

-g

I will help you all I can.Shock
jkoll42
This may be a stupid question, but would a few volts even make a realistic difference? In my mind, preventing fluctuations in voltage during roast/protecting from spikes if the power is bad would be more important. That would be a voltage regulator as Chad said. Never worked with a GC though so this though may be way off :)
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
Army Coffee
Ginny;

Honestly, I don't know what I am talking about... It is all what I think I read.

The issue as I understand it with roasters is that they are effected by power. I am not sure how much this effects the roast, but I am currently in government quarters that has pretty good power always between 119V and 121V.

Nobody has told me when the voltage begins to effect the GC. I have read that the Variac helps you keep the voltage adjusted above 120V using a Variac and a Kill a Watt. I currently have a Kill a Watt and I have a opportunity to get a STACO Variac at a great price but want to make sure it is the right one.

I always plan for the worst and I am moving this summer to a yet undetermined place and power may be a problem there and I want to be ready in the event I find that I have power that is below 120V in my new quarters.

Does any of this rambling make sense??? Having a Variac and a Kill a Watt will alow me to keep the voltage above 120V during roasting.

Does this answer your question?

Drew
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

jkoll42
This may shed some light. If you look at the parts diagram for the GC, there are two different power boards. One is listed as a 100-120v and the other is a 220+/- board. There is also a USA and Japanese fuse/cord part option with the Japanese at 100v and the usa at 120. So... it would appear that it is designed to work for voltages ranging from 100-120. Based on this I don't think I would worry about the voltage. I would worry about the quality of that voltage.

I still might buy the variac - good price and you never know when it might come in handy!

Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
oldgearhead
10 ohm heater at:

105 volts = 1102 watts or 3760 BTUs

120 volts = 1440 watts or 4913 BTUs

No oil on my beans...
jkoll42
Yes, but that is assuming that the element is hooked directly to mains at that voltage. It has temp control based on a temp sensor so the element is not running at full available power. I would have to assume that there is circuitry to compensate for the voltage and still provide the correct temp and profile in the chamber - ie the coil is running at lower percent power in USA v JP
-Jon
allenb
Unfortunately, some of the larger capacity roasters running on household voltage here in the states have to hit full power at some point in the profile to maintain rate of rise requirements. Companies building roasters designed to run on domestic 120V typically will not design elements that will draw more than 12 to 15 amps due to the potential for breakers tripping. If they design around a higher power element it would cause them to have to incorporate higher power handling relays, SSR's etc which would cost them more to build.

With European domestic 220, power limitations aren't an issue and they usually wind a different element for the two versions.

Not sure if the Gene has to hit maximum output or not but at the batch weights it is intended to handle I would bet it does.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
JETROASTER
I'm with Jon....buy it. You're sickness has just begun....you'll want it eventually. Good luck!
-Scott
jkoll42
Plus then you can do a test roast at 120 and 110 and see if there is any difference.

I still regret not snapping up the 22A variac when I had the chance on craigslist!
-Jon
Jump to Forum: