Print Thread
Unexpected results
jzuzphreek
I've been attempting to hone my roasting and brewing skills at the same time. I currently brew my coffee using french press, pour over, or mocha pot. I haven't been able to achieve consistently good results with Mocha brewing, and French Press I either over extract, or use too cool water (cause I suck at writing things down), but pour over has been giving me consistently pleasant cups of coffee.

I've roasted about 10 batches of coffee against these odds, and wouldn't you know it, it all culminated friday night. I had about 1/4 lb of a Nicaraguan, roasted to Full City, on 6 days rest. Ground in my Hario, and poured over. I took my first taste, and discovered it was not sour, not too acidic, not over extracted... it was a good cup.

So I thought, well, what does this bean actually taste like? here's my chance?

Campfire.

ugh! What happened? Not a touch of oil on any bean, so I know i didn't go to far. What could I have done wrong to have such a burnt flavor in the cup?

No wonder my wife bought a big plastic red can for her drip machine at work. :( :yuck:
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

jkoll42
Any chance you are tipping or scorching the beans? Some decent pics in the link below...

http://www.home-b...13587.html

-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

jzuzphreek
Ah! I wonder if centerline charring is my issue! I looked at the beans for tipping after my roast, and didn't notice any. Also would have noticed any charring, as that looks gross. But I didn't inspect the centerline, I will have a look when I get home.

I think I may have to invest in a bread maker soon. :( but I'm out of green beans... so i need to invest in a new bag pronto.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

seedlings
Good idea to look for a cheap breadmaker. Let it flex the stirring muscle, so you can watch, smell, and listen. You might try canvassing some close friends and relatives. Someone's bound to have one of those in storage. I know this because those people donate them to thrift stores regularly!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

DennisL
For months I heard about the "deals" on bread makers and was totally unable to find one under $40. It took patience but I finally found one on Craigslist for $5. Look at all the outlets available, it will come. And chad is right, with something else doing the stirring you have time to study and learn. Best $5 I've ever spent!

jzuzphreek
Found a Turbo Baker II at the RWBEB(Red, White, and Blue, East Bank... best thrift store in the world). I'll post pictures of it here. Haven't bought it yet, but it's $12.95, and I think it may be 50% off today... not sure. I'll post questions about modification in the HG section.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

jzuzphreek
Here are 3 pictures i took of it in the store. I plugged it in, and the paddle works as does the heating element. I assume I would modify to remove the heating element? also need to figure out a way to modify the lid so I can rest the gun in a hole to retain heat better.
https://plus.goog...4172995361
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

seedlings
$6?

BUY IT! Can't go wrong.

ThumbsUp

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

jzuzphreek
I forgot that this was, in fact the HG section. So what kind of modifications do I need to make right off the bat? I don't mind holding the gun if I have too, at least I won't have to stir any more. My gun has a 500 F setting and a 1000 F setting. Where should I position the gun? and on what setting?
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

jkoll42
You don't really need any mods immediately. Just figure out what the dough cycle is and be sure you can get 15 or so minutes of agitation out of it. As far as gun position somewehere just below the plane of the top of the bowl is a good starting point. I had my gun clamped to a step stool for years so I didn't have to hold it. You may need some sort of 'lid' but you can always temporarily use aluminum foil if need be.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

jzuzphreek
maybe a dumb question... do I want the heat element intact? how hot does a breadmaker get?
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

jkoll42
Doesn't really matter - it's not on during the mixing part of the dough cycle. The only thing you could have an issue with is overheating the temp sensor if its a hot day and it hasn't been modified.
-Jon

Lawnmowerman
My breadmaker setup uses the element for preheating. I have removed the thermal cutoff switch so no problems with overheating. Its not efficient as a main heater because it heats the air around the hopper but with foil packed around the outside it does help to boost the heat. Breadmaker mods are surprisingly easy. Hope im not being too wordy. This is my first post.

jzuzphreek
Went to the RWB at lunch and got my Bread Maker... ANNNNND.... a working Poppery (original) for $5! both items cost me $12.50! Excited is hardly the word!
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

jzuzphreek
(now i just need to order some beans)
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

jkoll42
Great find! Is it a poppery 1?
-Jon

jzuzphreek
[img]http://flic.kr/p/bDmuyk[/img]

I also snagged this here Turbo Baker II. I need to figure out a good way to modify the lid to hold the HG. It's a great thick glass lid though, that if I could preserve, would be well worth it.

[img]http://flic.kr/p/bDmuFt[/img]
Edited by jzuzphreek on 03/15/2012 9:59 PM
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

jzuzphreek
now why can't i post pictures? hrm.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

jzuzphreek
Poppery I got for $5.00 I think I got a better deal than who ever bites on this one...http://www.ebay.c...729wt_1187
jzuzphreek attached the following image:
1poppery.jpg

Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

jzuzphreek
Turbo Baker II that I got for $6.25.
jzuzphreek attached the following image:
turbobaker2.jpg

Edited by jzuzphreek on 03/15/2012 10:11 PM
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

Jump to Forum: